Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Future Book Speculation > Discussions on general Septology

Discussions on general Septology "The One with the Power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... "

Old 25-03-2007, 10:21   #21
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Re: Who's Your Buddy? SNAPE

There has been much speculation about Snape's family but what if they are alive and well and living at Hogwarts? When Snape apparently joined Dumbledore he might well have wanted his family protected.

We know that there are associations with Snape and books, books at Spinners End, the potion book etc. We know that he must have learned much before he went to Hogwarts because of Sirius' comments about him knowing "more curses when he arrived at school than half the kids in seventh year,"

We only know of one person at Hogwarts who cannot do magic and that is Filch, we know one person whose love of books appears to exceed all others and that is Madam Pince. We know that Ron has suggested a link between Filch and Madam Pince, and we know it was Filch who was bandaging Snape's leg in PS/SS;
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/SS
Snape and Filch were inside, alone. Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages.
The information about Fluffy was supposed to be top secret so why did Snape confide in the caretaker?

So there we have it I don't think that Snape was brought up by his Grandmother he was brought up by his parents, and continues to be with them at Hogwarts.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 05:30   #22
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Sounds great GB! I like the idea of the three nastiest people at Hogwarts being family . . . some real good points there, but only one thing catches me though . . . Snape is a half blood, his father was supposed to be a muggle not a squib. I would think that if a squib born of pureblood parents, marying a pure blood, the children would still be considered pureblood wouldn't they? But . . . boy! wouldn't it be hilarious! I know it's another thread, one that hasn't been up since you have been here, but the only thing JKR has given us on Snape's family was to say he doesn't have a daughter . . . she didn't say he didn't have a son . . . who would likely be around Harry's age, if he were a little older, fatherhood could have been a good reason for Snape to come to Dumbledore . . .

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 13:49   #23
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Well maybe SPF but who told us Filch was a squib? Filch did and in an odd sort of way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filch. CoS
"He did it, he did it!" Filch spat, his pouchy face purpling. "You saw what he wrote on the wall! He found - in my office - he knows I'm a - I'm a -" Filch's face worked horribly. "He knows I'm a Squib!" he finished.
And what was written on the wall? "the chamber of secrets has been opened. enemies of the heir, beware."

Malfoy then says "Enemies of the Heir, beware! You'll be next, Mudbloods!"

Now why would Filch, apparently the son of a witch and/or wizard, be worried about being attacked by Slytherin's heir? If he is a squib he must be at least a half blood!

If Filch was a muggle in hiding he clearly couldn't pretend to be a wizard as a way of hiding but he could pretend to be a squib.

Old 26-03-2007, 21:40   #24
Piper
TFH Graduate

I think the deal is if you have either parent magical and are not magical then you are a squib. JKR says it's rare because the Magical gene is dominant. But if he were just in hiding pretending, he could be a full muggle. And hey, maybe the CAT is Snape's mother
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 05:18   #25
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

First Piper . . . as fitting as it would be, Mrs Norris isn't an animagus, she's just a cat. JKR said that somewhere, I think on her website

GB, I can see your point . . . Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea that Filch and Pince could be Snape's parents, it would make a wonderfuly surprising twist! (well, not so surprising if we've figured it out) I could even add in that "Pince" is only one letter away from "Prince". Like I said, I like the idea, but it just doesn't seem right. Why have him anounce that he's a squib at all? Why not make us wonder all along why he never does magic? Wouldn't that make the surprise that much better? Also, it has been pretty much agreed upon that Filch is the one who will do magic later in life. I can see that happening with a squib, but a muggle? Unless the point to be made is maybe that there is "magic" in everyone?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 27-03-2007, 08:49   #26
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

SPF I shall carry on until you give in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBP
when they reached the Entrance Hall, they found Madam Pince standing beside Filch, she in a thick black veil that fell to her knees, he in an ancient black suit and tie reek-ing of mothbails

Old 27-03-2007, 09:58   #27
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Now I think that this is the clincher!

The word pince derives from the French word pincer which means to pinch, as in pince-nez - to squeeze the nose.

Pinch has another meaning - to steal or filch.

In a manner of speaking Madam Pince and Filch have the same surname!

Old 27-03-2007, 11:47   #28
Rory
TFH Graduate

Well, Her fist name is Irma, and Irma Pince anagrams to I am Prince. But if she is a grusome twosome with Filch - AND Snape's mother - I'm getting a new avatar!
Either one would be bad enough, but both? Just too much...
Old 27-03-2007, 12:39   #29
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

My dear Glumbumble . . .In the style of our beloved seer, Prof. Trelawney . . . Sir, I see you will endure a long and arduous battle . . . ending with fruitless and demoralizing dissapointment so devastating death may seem preferable . . .

_Willy Wonka

Old 27-03-2007, 16:16   #30
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Outside Playing Quidditch

Maybe he's not pretending to be a squib but maybe he's a muggle trying to learn to become a wizard by doing a quickspell course? But then again why even bother to put that in the book about him being a squib unless he was covering his tracks when he said that about Harry knowing he's a squib and reading his letter, sorry if that doesnt make sense, but i doubt it lol.
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts is offline   Reply With Quote