Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-07-2005, 14:56   #11
Tonks
Unspeakable

Re: R.A.B. (potential Spoilers)

Well, I originally thought of Regulus at first as well, but as mentioned, he really doesn't seem to be any exceptional wizard. When Sirius described him in OotP, he came across as really weak and easily manipulated, and I can't see the same wizard that Sirius mentioned as such being able to get through all that stuff that Harry and Dumbledore did.. Still, I suppose that Sirius could have been giving Harry a sort of different image of his brother because he was ashamed that he was a Death Eater and all that..

Um, as far as Bellatrix is concerned, I really see her as way too outwardly dedicated to Voldemort to ever try to pull that. Sure, she could be trying to pull a Snape, but I really don't think she is that good of an actress.. she just seems way too loyal to Voldemort to me..

I do have to wonder about the two people thing, because yes I agree it would have taken two people unless these people (or person) did change the defenses afterwards, but again the note was in the first person singular tense .. perhaps (if the defenses remained the same) the other person died from drinking the potion..

Also, if it was Regulus, wouldn't Grimmauld Place be a bit of an obvious place to keep the Horcrux? Maybe something in Grimmauld Place would lead to its hiding spot, but then again, the Order did basically turn the house upside down during the time they were cleaning it..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 17:37   #12
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Good point, Fort! How WOULD Dumbledore have known? How did he put it together that the cave where Riddle tormented those two kids would be the cave he used to hide the Horcrux?
Dumbledore had to have been told, if anything, that it was hidden in a cave. BUT why would Snape tell Dumbledore the location, knowing the Horcrux wasn't there? Would Snape have been trusted with the knowledge of the location?

Another thought... are there any Wizards with initials B.A.R? Just in case they had survived, they could have swapped them around to throw Voldemort off a bit?
Old 17-07-2005, 20:41   #13
Boing
Pops in randomly

I think Dumbledore had been searching for these items for a long time. He needed the memory from Slughorn to confirm that there were several of them around and just how many there might be, but I think he was already on the lookout for awhile.

As for how he found it, it could have been from someone tipping him off, but as he took such a long time to find it, I think that he probably thought of places Voldemort might have known about that would have some particular meaning to him. As he said, the horcruxes tended to be a bit "glamorous." So, the places they were hidden would probably have some sort of special meaning as well.

The cave is where he terrorized the kids and did something to them that changed them forever. So, perhaps this was the first time he made up his own spell or did a particularly nasty thing to someone and he wanted to commemorate it there. Dumbledore could have figured this one out, I think . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 21:19   #14
mimbulus mimbletonia
Mature Graduates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR
"I think I give very clear pointers as to what Harry will do next," she said. "There is plenty to guess at... at least one thing I think people will probably deduce, there is a mystery left at the end, but I think they might already know the answer if they think about it."
OK, if the above quote is referring to R.A.B. then I think it proves the person is someone we already know about. Unless there are any other characters with the same initials, it kinda confirms it is Regulus.

Which makes it all the more interesting that Harry has inherited Kreacher, doesn't it?
Old 18-07-2005, 06:06   #15
psychgirl83
Up to no good....

I was looking around a bit online yesterday, trying to figure out who R.A.B. might be. I'm wondering if it could possibly be someone in the Bones family. The entire family has been minorly important throughout the series, so maybe there is a reason they all keep popping up. Most of the people we have heard about have died trying to fight Voldemort, but what if there was one family member who worked on Voldy's side for awhile, then came to their senses? There must be a bigger role for this family to play....

I think Mum's got a second cousin who's an accountant, but we never talk about him.

Why does a loving God allow poverty to exist in the world when He could do something about it? What if He asked the same question of you?
psychgirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 06:57   #16
Tonks
Unspeakable

I actually thought of the Bones family at first too, but couldn't remember anyone with the first name starting with "R", so quickly trashed that idea. You may have a point though, as they all seem to be pretty good with magic and we know a Bones has been killed by the Death Eaters before so they aren't on his side..

I really do agree with Boing as to how Dumbledore would have found the cave. I don't think Snape would have known of it's existence, or even it's whereabouts - sure, supposedly Voldemort really does trust him, but to that extent? I'm just not 100% sure about that..

Dumbledore had known about the cave as the lady at the orphanage had mentioned it to him when he was there to tell Tom about Hogwarts. Now all he needed to do was track down where it actually was.. he probably could have done so with the help of this lady, or even either of the two kids that Tom took there.. I wonder if you can get memories from Muggles..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 13:16   #17
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

**SPOILER** Who is R A B?

Ok, my first thought was that it might be Amelia Bones, that perhaps she just goes by her middle name as many do, but then it just didn't seem to fit. My guess now is Regulus (sp?) Black, Sirius' brother. I don't think we know his middle name though, but it just might work. He had become a DE and tried to leave. Could be that while he was one, he followed Voldemort, or somehow learned what Voldemort had done and where it was hidden? OK. . . if this is right, so far, then could he have hidden it at Grimwaud place? Could they have thrown it out when cleaning in OotP? Could Harry ask Kreature?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 13:25   #18
Nimue
Up to no good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
My mind wanders back to Snape. According to the timeline, Regulus died about the same time Harry was born, just after the prophecy was told to Dumbledore - Snape went back to Dumbledore's service after he told Voldemort the bit of the prophecy he heard - I'm thinking it was Snape who went to the cave with Regulus while they were both still Death Eaters, and Snape is the one who dumped the potion down Regulus's throat in order to get the locket. Maybe Snape knew where the cave was and told Dumbledore how to get there. How else would Dumbledore have known of such an obscure location?

Oh god! and now Harry has to get help from the man he thinks has murdered Dumbledore (if this was in fact a planned sacrifice. If not...hmmm)

I've also been wondering if RAB was perhaps Andromeda. I mean if Regulus can have an A. middle name surely she can have a R. nickname or title or something. Just cause I don't think there a enough actiony girls.

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have" ~ Hermione
Nimue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 13:25   #19
Finnegan
Bachelor of Arts

I think that, if we already know the character, it's Regulus Black. I could be forgetting someone, but that's the only character that I can think of who has the initials R. (A.) B. - and I suppose that, wanting to leave the Death Eaters, he would a) have a reason for wanting to do it (but didn't everyone?) and b) have a way of finding out that the Horcruxes even existed and how to do it.

I'm not sure that it sounds like the sort of thing that Regulus would be clever enough to do - but after all, most of the information that we have of him is from Sirius, who (as his older brother) is probably somewhat biased, in both good ways and bad. There might be a lot about Regulus that we don't yet know.

But I think that the really important question is whether or not whoever removed the Horcrux had time to destroy it - because if it was Regulus, he was definitely killed, as everyone else who defied Voldemort was (so it seems reasonable that if it was someone, that other person might also have been killed) - or if it remains hidden in some place that no one knows of. I thought that HBP did sort of imply that it was a given that the Horcrux had been destroyed - but who knows? It might turn out to be a last big problem for Harry - finding a Horcrux that absolutely no one knows where is.
Old 19-07-2005, 19:07   #20
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

Regulus Black it is.
I thought of him the moment I read it.
The "I" and the "i will be dead" part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortesque
It took two people to do the task - one eto drink the potion, and the other to make sure it was all gone
But was the potion there when Voldemort initially put the Horcrux in th ebasin? Somebody could have FILLEd it up with potion after he took the horcrux. And if Regulus had to drink it, then somebody would have had to well, re-fill it.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote