Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Analysis

HBP Analysis A deeper and meaningful look at the details of HBP

Old 21-03-2007, 03:18   #11
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Re: why did DD immobilize Harry?

The bit that gets me here is that Dumbledore has invested so much time over the years in trying to convince Harry that Snape, Professor Snape Harry, is on the side of the Order and is to be trusted.
To deliberately let Harry witness Snape killing Dumbledore would only reinforce Harry's deeply held view that Snape is evil.
There can only be two possible explanations for this. Firstly to show Harry that he, Dumbledore, was wrong or, secondly, to ensure that Snape had the best opportunity to safely move back in with the death eaters. Someone had to take the message back to the order that it was Snape, not Malfoy or anyone else, that killed Dumbledore.

My view is that the second scenario was the one that Dumbledore intended, not to say at this point that he wasn't wrong.

The argument that occurred between Snape and Dumbledore may well have been about the next task that Snape would have to perform, the killing of Dumbledore.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 04:59   #12
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

I agree, G---in order to reinforce the false sense of security Dumbledore hoped to foster in Voldemort, everyone involved (perhaps Harry especially) must believe what appears on the surface----that Snape killed Dumbledore because he is on the side of Voldemort. If Voldemort does not believe this, Snape will likely be put to death and the Order loses a most valuable insider. If Harry does not believe it, he cannot truly go it alone----his hatred of Snape must be an absolute----if he has doubts, or thinks there is a possibility that Snape is on his side or can help in some way, he (Harry) will not muster the courage and constitution to to face Voldemort, he will likely give Snape's secret away (Voldemort is a great Occlumens, and even if Harry were able to block that bit of information he cannot look to Snape, even with a quick side glance without giving him away----Harry must continue to look on Snape with hatred and disgust), and the plan will fail. This way, Snape has the opportunity to manipulate certain things from the inside----that can only happen is he has the unwavering trust of Voldemort and all of the DEs (at least the "major players"). What a weapon that is----imagine if you were able to conceal from your chess opponent that his queen is actually on your side and though seems to be protecting his king is actually helping to orchestrate his demise.

It is easy to see, at least from this viewpoint, why Snape was so irate when Harry called him a coward.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 20:29   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think the previous replies pretty much sum this up the best really.
Dumbledore had to do two things, one protect Harry the second was the stop Harry getting involved.
By having Harry immobilized and also hidden, he could get all the motivation he needed to take the final steps towards Voldemort (find Snape, find Voldemort!) but be perfectly safe from harms way.
Dumbledore needed Harry to see that people are capable of changing, he needed to show Harry that Draco was not all bad but he also needed to keep Harry alive and safe to fight another day. Remember Dumbledore knows that Harry will have his day, only Harry can stand a chance against Voldemort.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote