Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 09:27   #11
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Re: Victims of the Avada Kedavra Curse......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
Although something else is interesting here - when the curse rebounded off Harry, it left some of Voldemort inside of Harry - some of his powers. So what if the Avada Kedavra actually takes a little bit out of the person who performs it each time it is performed. Kind of like slowly sucking out the caster's life as he/she takes others' lives? So, instead of having a dead person with a little of Voldemort in them (Lily and James), Harry was left alive, but still had that little piece of Voldemort. Completely wacky, I know, but just something that popped into my head!
My first thought here. . . isn't it just amazing how much we dig into, and theorize about something fictional LOL!

OK, now my second thought! I doubt that the curse takes something out of the caster. For starters, there would now be nothing left of Voldemort or his powers with as many times as he has used it! That said, perhaps there could be a bit of a "copy/paste" kind of effect, only, all but one who have had the spell cast on them have died haven't they, so there is no way to really tell. It does make sense though now that I think of it, the AK being such a powerful spell, and the caster having to have the strong mental desire to see that person dead, that they would have to offer some of themselves in the spell, but perhaps when it is normaly performed, what they have given up comes back? I don't know. . . a possibility I suppose, but I think it more an effect of the rebound. When the spell on Harry rebounded, and Voldemort was left as his mere essence, the essence may have even been spread apart, as if blown up, and some "stuck" to Harry, but. . . then again, once back in his body, Voldemort did not seem to be "missing" any of himself, or his "essence", so the "copy" part seems more plausable again. But, we know that there was more than that going on, because Harry has the scar, all other AK victims show no scaring at all.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 13:25   #12
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I think the main point to be made is that the victims bodies had no marks - none that could be found in autopsy. But the amazing thing is the fact of what happened to Voldemort with the supposed rebound off Harry and the example of what a deflected curse could do, that is, the one Voldemort shot in the Ministry of Magic that bounced off the statue and hit the security guards desk causing it to burst into flames. In Voldemort's case, he lost his body!! I think that is a significant clue as to what happened that night being more then a rebounded AK.

Off topic just a bit
I think this is where the significance of the color of Harry's eyes comes into play, and I will bet that we learn in HBP what that significance is - I don't believe the AK rebounded in the way we are led to believe and that some of that curse was absorbed by Harry and shot back at Voldemort through Harry's green eyes. Just a prediction on my part (can't wait to find out myself)

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:07   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

What is interesting is that the killing curse cannot be deflected or blocked ... or so we are told.
Yet we have seen now 2 instances where the curse didnt meet the target and instead lead to damage on another item.
But this is a little bit of a digression me thinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena

What if the spirit/magic/powers of a witch/wizard that was killed by the Avada Kedavra curse is trapped in the wand of the witch/wizard that cast the spell? Would the attacker then become a more powerful wizard
Back on track and all ...
If this was the case then Voldemort should have had the upper hand when he met Harry in GoF - because his wand contained the souls of Lily & James as well as a few more ...
In effect - if I am understanding the question right - then Voldemort should have had some good charms skills inherited by his wand ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote