Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Old 27-12-2006, 12:50   #1
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Mermaids and Death?

Okay, so I saw this on another board and thought it was an interesting idea -- and since most boards aren't filled with smart folks like y'all I thought I'd bring this here and see what you brilliant minds think.

Do you remember the clue from task 2 (the real one, not that ridiculous thing in the movie)?

Quote:
"Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching, ponder this:
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour -- the prospect's black,
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."
OK - so here's the point. Could this be a hint for a trip in book 7 to perhaps the "underworld" or death? Could Harry travel there and have a time where he'll have to get to someone or something? The other person was pointing to the veil, but I can't necessarily make that leap. Although "the prospect's black" is interesting -- rather than bleak it's black. Sirius Black, perhaps?
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 23:56   #2
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Re: Mermaids and Death?

I would think it is extremely likely that Harry will confront death in the next book - there are already so many uses of Underworld and resurrection imagery. Fluffy, of course, is a reference to Cerberus that guards the classical underworld. Harry, like Dumbledore, is often linked to the pheonix. The centaurs seem to suggest Harry's demise. He has brought about the death of so many - his parents, Flamel, Quirrell, the basilisk, Cedric, Sirius, and indeed, his mission, for want of a better term, is ultimately concerned with death - he will kill or be killed by Voldemorte. Harry is a bringer of death.

This is of course a good thing. Voldemort, who like a snake shedding its skin, slough's off death. harry, though, is an avatar of death. There is only one way to defeat Death, and that is through birth, and thus Harry, in bringing about death, will allow for (a pheonix-like) rebirth.

So it would not surprise me at all if Harry journeys nehind the veil, perhaps with Voldemort himself, and there, perhaps those 'who he sore[ly] miss[es], those who love him, can aid in the destruction of the dark lord.

(Hmmm, it just occured to me that some may say it was Voldemort, not Harry that killed some of those victims. I will sheepishly suggest that Harry and Voldemort are two aspects of the same death-drive. They share a mind, display many similarities, and are united by a destiny).

Harry is a 'lunar' hero - he brings about death to allow for rebirth. I've always thouht Miss lovegood might have something to do behind that curtain with Harry.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 15:17   #3
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Though I left some specific information for you on this, I wanted to publically say -- cool! I hadn't thought about Voldemort and the snake quite like that and/or about Harry and the avatar of death. It's quite interesting. I think your points make the likelihood of the return of the "clue" possible. I wonder what others think.

I does certainly seem that death is "attracted" to Harry. Those to whom he looks up to most seem to have a short lifespan (except Dumbledore, but his death is still premature ). Considering that JKR has said that wizards have considerably longer lifespans than muggles (Dumbledore was 150), that' s not been the experience of Harry at all. And, Voldemort is certainly obsessed with avoiding death. Hmm . . much to ponder.
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 01:42   #4
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

I really love the thoughts halliemei and Dr. Winterbourne-I've often felt that the mermaids clue (and perhaps the Sphinx's riddle, Snapes riddle in Book 1, the Sorting Hats poems, etc.)-at least a few are dual-purpose clues. JKR is masterful at making the reader feel as though the mystery/riddle is solved, when it is truly only the first act Harry, metaphorically at the very least has waltzed in and out of death/Otherworld/Underworld from the beginning, so I think it's highly possible we will see him go on a trip there in the final book. He certainly has alot of people already there to serve as guides-and Dumbledore actually had a scar that could be a map On another thread I was alluding to the clues associating Harry's scar to the Spear(perhaps Ravenclaw's wand) of the Dolorous Blow-there are many reasons for this but a short version is...being wounded with this artifact seems to have ties with the ability to pass into the Underworld and return. As the Spear that pierced the side of Jesus, the blood healed the blind man's eyes who delivered the blow-so it heals even as it kills. I like the idea of Harry tricking Voldemort into passing over to Death-and because of Harry's Scar he'll be able to return, but Voldemort will not. It's simple and yet satisfying
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 05:38   #5
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winterbourne View Post

This is of course a good thing. Voldemort, who like a snake shedding its skin, slough's off death. harry, though, is an avatar of death. There is only one way to defeat Death, and that is through birth, and thus Harry, in bringing about death, will allow for (a pheonix-like) rebirth.

So it would not surprise me at all if Harry journeys nehind the veil, perhaps with Voldemort himself, and there, perhaps those 'who he sore[ly] miss[es], those who love him, can aid in the destruction of the dark lord.

(Hmmm, it just occured to me that some may say it was Voldemort, not Harry that killed some of those victims. I will sheepishly suggest that Harry and Voldemort are two aspects of the same death-drive. They share a mind, display many similarities, and are united by a destiny).

Harry is a 'lunar' hero - he brings about death to allow for rebirth. I've always thouht Miss lovegood might have something to do behind that curtain with Harry.
Interesting post there Dr Winterbourne - really liking the united in destiny part - reminds me very much of the quest to demonstrate this series is uuroboros/cyclic and how Harry and Voldemort are almost equal as one ... I still remember the tinkling instrument and 'in essence divided' ... that is what came to mind when I read your post!

I really like the idea of both going through the veil and once on the other side - those people that love Harry will help him re-emerge through and leave Voldemort as a 'whisper' in the veil ... eternal life but never living!

Great posts guys - liking it a lot!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote