Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Old 14-08-2005, 04:29   #11
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: Voldemort's ancestry exposed?...

We now know the other side of Voldemort's ancestry due to our introduction to the Gaunts. The view we got into the other branch of his bloodline was significant in that we found where he got his ability to speak Parseltongue. Alsothe fact that it seemed the Gaunts were one of those old Wizarding families that believed in inbreeding before they would venture mating with a Muggle, which would explain their seemingly insane behavior.

It was probably better for the Wizarding world that Voldemort didn't know his mother and family as he grew. I can't imagine how much more evil he would have become had he grown up around Morfin and Marvolo. They would not have been the type of wizards to not allow Tom to practice his magic simply because he was underage.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2005, 10:14   #12
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I suppose getting back to the original point on this one ... are the DE's aware that Voldemort is in fact one of the things they most despise?
I mean, even the Half Blood Prince wasn't of pure blood - but yet shares a position in the DE market that many other loyal DE's would kill for - very close to Voldemort.
I think it is interesting how many instances we have seen of blatant hypocrisy from Voldemort/HBP when it comes to distinction between pure bloods and mudbloods/half bloods.

I really do wonder if the DE's would have been as loyal and allowed Voldemort to get where he is if they knew he wasn't pureblood?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 14:30   #13
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I think one thing that keeps coming into my mind is that the DE's that aren't pure blood, hate and dispise their muggle heritage. but you still have to wonder that their heritage is also unknown as well as Voldemort's. I think Voldemort took the stand as the heir of Slytherin that Wizards and muggles should not interbreed. Basicaly just pure racism. I think that in that the DE's that joined him assumed he himself was pure blood because of this stance, and never questioned or asked of his heritage. . . but somehow, I don't think Voldemort ever tried to "hide" his heritage. I'm shure that most of the early DE's knew he had been raised in a muggle orphanage, and as such, could not have been pure blood, but just agreed with his hatred of muggles interbreeding with wizards. After Harry informed Belatrix, she seemed disbelieving, but it may have just been her assumption, and I don't think it has changed her allegience to him.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 11:26   #14
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well - looking at the case in hand - many of the DE's we are told about are Pure Blooded ..
I think this is getting more and more legit - think about it ... Bella was really horrified when Harry suggested that Voldemort wasn't pure ... we also saw Bella's loyalty swaying slightly as Snape taunted her in Spinner's End ...
I think there is a real chance that Voldemort is keeping the people under him - the servants to himself - under the assumption he is the last Heir of Slytherin - and that as such he is really pureblood.
I mean look at Lucious - he also despises Muggles and half-bloods - you can tell that from his son - how would his pride feel knowing he is servant to something he despises!
I think there is a case for mutiny in the DE's ranks ... and the Bosses failure to tell them he was half blood might be his undoing with his followers ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 14-12-2005, 12:42   #15
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Just a quick clarification:

Alz said..........

"The thing about Lucius - he was prolly the most loyal to Voldemort even in his demise. He still talked about Voldemort with respect - he was still willing to do things in support of Voldemort - he was no doubts behind the Dark Mark exercise in GoF"

BC Jr. was the one to set the dark mark off at the campsite, to make the DE's that abandoned the dark lord quake with fear. He was under an invisibilty cloak, in the woods, using Harry's wand.

and, to address to subject of this thread.. I think Voldemort's ommission of the fact that he himself is a mudblood will play a major part in the final book. It would be like Hitler failing to mention to his Jew killing Nazi regime that he was Jewish.. "kill kill kill, oh by the way, I'm one of them".. Probably not going to go over very well once it gets out. I'm not sure if the combined DE powers can do much against big V, but I'm guessing we'll see some defectors with critical information.. I forsee Lucious Malfoy being on Harry's side by the end of the next book. Unbelievable? Maybe, but bookmark this thread so you can remember who said it when it comes to pass..
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 12:00   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Yeah actually you are very correct - I commited a slight faux paux - what I was trying to say was that I thought Lucius was behind the little DE party - you are right it was Crouch Junior that set off the Dark Mark ... thanks for the correction.

Your closing comments were also bang on - I think Voldemort only has the respect he does because of his visions and prejudices - if the DE's find out their leader is the very thing he serves to destroy - might make them question their loyalties!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536