Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Old 08-10-2004, 11:57   #1
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Alarm Bells and Scars!

In GoF, when Dumbledore is trying to convince Fudge that Voldemort has indeed returned, and that Harry's scar has been warning him of the Dark Lord's presence/anger throughout the year, Fudge says:

"You'll forgive me, Dumbledore, but I've heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before..."

My questions would therefore be:

Whose?! When?! Why?! How?!

Am wondering whether Dumbledore's attractive scar in the shape of the London Underground has been useful in the past to the MoM!?

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 13:24   #2
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Re: Alarm Bells and Scars!

Fudge says "You'll forgive me, Dumbledore, but I've never heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before..." Just thought I would add that in there...
Old 08-10-2004, 13:53   #3
Tinkerbell
Graduating

I've checked this in my copy of the book Wheezy, and mine doesn't show that the word never appears!

The quote I put in is exactly how it appears in my copy, so perhaps I have a rare copy which then gives a whole new meaning to the statement!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Old 08-10-2004, 14:06   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I have the same as Tink, Hard cover book, 22nd edition ...

"You'll forgive me, Dumbledore, but I've heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before..."

Looks like a typo but could also have been another JKR written/unwritten thing going on!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 15:54   #5
Boing
Pops in randomly

I've got a paperback version (not sure which printing), but it also says "never." The sentence wouldn't make much sense without it - if you think about in the context of the whole conversation, Fudge is trying to negate that Harry's scar pains mean anything except that Harry is insane, so he wouldn't say that he *had* heard of scars giving alarm bells before.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 23:58   #6
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Thank you! Finally I don't feel like I am crazy! Bit I definately know that my copy has a "never" in there, so I wonder why there is the difference ...
Old 09-10-2004, 10:33   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Face value would state a typo but remeber this, the American versions were translated until OoTP - as such couldnt it just be the US publishers inserted the word because they felt it made sense?

I read the sentance and it does seems a little odd and that 'never' should be in there but why do we have multiple UK editions with the same typo and no corrections - usually these are identified and changed!

I really think Tink has stumbled across something!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 16-10-2004, 08:37   #8
Tinkerbell
Graduating

I have tried to look further into this, looking on other sites about book and movie mistakes and queries over continuity within the septology, and can't find any mention of this.

I think that in a couple of weeks time I am going to send a e-mail through to JKR's site and see if we can get to the bottom of this mystery once and for all!

As I've said before, and as others have said, it could be a typo, or there really is a deeper meaning here!

Old 16-10-2004, 12:11   #9
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think you need to email her Publicist normally or maybe Bloomsbury ... but it would be a nice and easy one for her to clear up - and also a great one to tease people over if indeed that was the plan ...
Perhaps we could think of a few more questions for her to answer and mail them over?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 17-10-2004, 11:02   #10
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Good idea, Bla!

Do you think it best to start a new thread with an invitation for members to submit some questions?