Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Old 17-11-2004, 15:19   #21
Nagini
Time Turners

Re: Blood of thy enemy forcibly taken...

Yes I agree with you there, that was part of his reason for using Harry. To show to his followers once and for all that he was the almighty Lord Voldemort was not to be defeated by anyone, especially a young boy.

But does this strike anyone else as childish? The way he acts and the things he says at times, can be interpretated as quite immature. Also its as if his confidence is low and he needs to hear constantly from his followers just how powerful and dark he is.
Old 17-11-2004, 15:31   #22
Alz
Head Unspeakable

He has been humbled by the events in the past few years!
He was once self declared the most powerful wizard - then a baby kills him ..
Then we have the last few years where once again Harry denied his return - like hello he is going to try and show everyone that Harry is just a normal kid and he is all powerful - worthy of being feared and followed!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 20:16   #23
Hermione
Auror

Maybe Voldemort wanted the blood of Harry so he could detect him. Voldemort transfered a peice of himself into Harry with his scar, maybe if Voldemort has some of Harry, he can detect his whereabouts. It could be as additional weapon against the OoP.
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:11   #24
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well see - he can already affect Harry via the scar - we saw that a lot more in OoTP - I am specualting that Voldemort gets the same feelings Harry does when Harry is near ...
I know he didnt have a wound left by the attack - but if he left some of him in Harry - is it possble he took something from Harry as a baby?
I like what you are saying - on face value you might have to wonder if he thought by having Harry's blood it would protect him - just because this baby survived his attack?
I know he wasnt aware of the Lily sacrifice until reflection later on - I would assume the same about the blood bond that protects Harry ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 06-01-2005, 14:14   #25
Nagini
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Well see - he can already affect Harry via the scar - we saw that a lot more in OoTP - I am specualting that Voldemort gets the same feelings Harry does when Harry is near ...
I know he didnt have a wound left by the attack - but if he left some of him in Harry - is it possble he took something from Harry as a baby?
I like what you are saying - on face value you might have to wonder if he thought by having Harry's blood it would protect him - just because this baby survived his attack?
I know he wasnt aware of the Lily sacrifice until reflection later on - I would assume the same about the blood bond that protects Harry ...
Something about what you said there about Voldemort affecting Harry. Do you think Voldemort will be able to gain further on this in the next books? Possibly by making Harry angry enough to hurt others. Maybe that is how you start to become a bad wizard by hurting others?
Old 06-01-2005, 22:09   #26
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagini
Something about what you said there about Voldemort affecting Harry. Do you think Voldemort will be able to gain further on this in the next books? Possibly by making Harry angry enough to hurt others. Maybe that is how you start to become a bad wizard by hurting others?
I have read theories elsewhere that perhaps Harry would be possessed or controlled by Harry somehow, to hurt those closest to him, such as Ron or Dumbledore. I think it would be very frightening, but also interesting to the septology if, the way that either of them dies is by Harry's hand, whilst being controlled. It could divide him, driving him either into the Dark Arts, or further to challenging Voldemort. It would probably destroy him, and change a lot of relationships that he has, but it is just an out there theory...
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39   #27
Alz
Head Unspeakable

OK - so are we saying that Voldemort made another huge mistake taking the blood and using Harry as the target?
We know what Dumbledore's thoughts are - well nearly - we get an 'expression' - so we take it the effect of the blood transfer worked to both advantages.
But isnt it possible that Voldemort knows of a reason it had to be him - that anyone else wouldnt do - and not just a case of ego stroking?
I'm not sure he knew that once he had the blood he could touch Harry - that is what we are lead to believe is the reason - but seems a little obvious ...
I think there is another reason he chose Harry - perhaps it could relate to another step he took to prevent death?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 07-01-2005, 14:04   #28
Nagini
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledore, OoTP
'He chose the boy he thought most likely to be a danger to him,' said Dumbledore 'And notice this, Harry: he chose, not the pure-blood (which, according to his creed, is the only kind of wizard worth being or knowing) but the half-blood, like himself. He saw himself in you before he had ever seen you, and in marking you with that scar, he did not kill you, as he intended, but gave you powers, and a future, which have fitted you to escape him not once, but four times so far - something that neither your parents, nor Neville's parents, ever achieved.'
Perhaps the power that was transferred to Harry as mentioned above was what Voldemort thought he would get back, plus the protection and any magic that Harry had. So in his mind, they would be on an even footing when it came to the magic within them - I am guessing that since Harry has escaped Voldemort so many times that it is not based on who is more powerful that could necessary win here. If that were the case then its unlikely to be Harry and Voldemort would be able to squish him - I find it interesting that he has so far failed and this brings me back to what could be in their blood. There is also a lot of emphasis based on blood - being pure blood etc in the Potter books.

Something else about that paragraph, the part in brackets - was that JKR telling us there or Dumbledore??
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18   #29
Jenelle
Supreme Mugwump

Going back to the part about DD telling Harry about the prophecy, he only told him part of it. Voldemorts spy heard some of it but DD never says what part-yes he heard the beginning but DD could have started telling Harry at the middle of the prophecy and we just thought it was the beginning. So what I'm saying is that maybe part of the prophecy that DD is leaving out is part of why Voldemort wanted to use Harry's blood and such, and also why DD still doesnt feel at ease about Harrys position in the battle.
OotP movie comes out.
AND
Deathly Hallows is released.
I cant wait!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 14:31   #30
Nagini
Time Turners

I agree with what you said that Dumbledore only told Harry part of the prophecy Jenelle EVEN though Dumbledore says he is telling Harry everything I think he is still leaving things out. My reason for thinking this is that Dumbledore doesn't want to influence Harry too much in case it changes things in the future. I am not sure if Dumbledore held back because of fatherly concern and love for Harry or because he knows what is to come and wants things to play out his way.