Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Old 29-01-2007, 05:19   #1
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

A geam of something like triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOF
For a fleeting instant, Harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in DD's eyes. But next second Harry was sure he had imagined it, for when DD had returned to his seat behind the desk, he looked as old and weary as Harry had ever seen him.
A lot of people are debating this scene in various threads here. If this has its own thread, my apoligies, and merge this one.
I think it was the use of Harry's blood that gave DD the gleam of triumph in his eyes. I think by doing this, Voldemort may have negated the blood protection that his mother gave him. But by doing so, he also became in debt to Harry. I think that if Voldemort killed Harry, he will die too.
Or we may have a scenario like the one shown in War of the worlds. The aliens doomed themselves once they ate and drank on earth. They were not used to with all the bacteria and other germs that we are.
Voldemort is not used to the feeling of love and loyalty and bravery. That blood might wear him out eventually.
What do you guys think?

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 07:33   #2
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Re: A geam of something like triumph

You know, it is so hard to prognosticate here what JKR has in mind . . . This is a magical world, and JKR is the creator of the magic, she creates the spells, curses, potions, and all the rules . . . It is CLEAR that there is something afoot here, but it is also clear unfortulately that she hasn't given us a clue other than the look of triumph! There is quite a bit of reference to blood on the series . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/SS

the twelve uses of dragon's blood
Bloody Barron
One of his legs was bloody and mangled (Snape)
Flint looked as if he had some troll blood in him.
One book had a dark stain on it that looked horribly like blood
feed it on a bucket o' brandy mixed with chicken blood every half hour
he said, showing them his hand, which was wrapped in a bloody handkerchief.
That's unicorn blood
out cold with a bloody lump on its head.
pulled out a blood-red stone
These are all just from the first book, (not every refference, I didn't include multiple repititions in the same context) I don't have time now to go over the other books, but it stands to reason just the same that JKR considers blood a very powerful thing in the magical world . . .

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 08:04   #3
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

I am looking at the mythology around of Medusa at the present time. Apart from the obvious snake connection Medusa had poisonous blood on one side of her body and good blood on the other. Medusa was killed by Perseus by beheading, this may relate to SnarkologyMajor's references to necklace and nearly headless etc, posted on another thread. Perseus also used winged sandals, an invisibility cap, a sickle and and a mirrored shield in his killing of Medusa. Not too much imagination needed to translate these into broomstick, invisibility cloak, wand and the mirror of erised.

Thoughts?
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 10:01   #4
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

for the medusa tale you forgot one other reference to blood: as perseus was leaving he carried the head and the blood landed on the shore and pegasus (the winged horse) was born. so, there may also be a reference with thestrals and abraxans (a breed of winged horses that drew the Beauxbaton's carrage) but i do see the connections to the story and maybe harry will defeat voldemort by beheading him?

there does seem to be quite a bit of refernce to blood in the HP series. we'll just have to wait and see what comes of it all.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 10:59   #5
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Another huge reference to blood (sorry if someone already indicated this) is the Pure-blood/Mud-blood references. Or if one prefers pureblood and muggle born.

It is a huge thing throughout the entire series. In fact, its what the war between the wizards is about. Blood may just be one of the most important things in the series.

As to the main topic of this thread... I like the idea that because of Voldemort taking blood from Harry, that Voldemort is now in Harry's debt. That way, no matter which way the final battle turns out, Voldemort will die. Of course, I'm assuming that if you owe somebody your life, you can't kill them without being killed yourself.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 11:34   #6
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

We know that blood forms a significant theme in the series. The bad guys in both the wizard and the muggle world put a lot of store by good blood. We know that Lilys blood coupled with some ancient magic of Dumbledores has protected Harry up to now. We know that Harrys blood is now flowing through Voldemorts veins. The question is how can that be an advantage to Harry?

This may sound a little mad but could blood, particularly if helped by some spell of Dumbledores, act like the cores of Harrys and Voldemorts wands? If so could it be that Voldemort could not kill Harry because he has Harrys blood within him but Harry could kill Voldemort because he does not have Voldemorts blood within him?

Old 29-01-2007, 13:31   #7
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
This may sound a little mad but could blood, particularly if helped by some spell of Dumbledores, act like the cores of Harrys and Voldemorts wands? If so could it be that Voldemort could not kill Harry because he has Harrys blood within him but Harry could kill Voldemort because he does not have Voldemorts blood within him?
You know GB, that may be the ultimate irony to the entire story. For our purposes, the story begins with the spell bouncing from Harry and nearly completely destroying Voldemort. Why didn't it destroy him? because of the Horcruxes of course. But now . . . as book 7 comes to a close, we see Harry, with the help of his friends has found and destroyed all 7 horcruxes, and now faces Voldemort for the final duel. Voldemort overly selfconfident in his assumptions that Harry's blood in him, and his Horcruxes will insure him success, fires the AK at him, but now . . . a split second of shock registers on his face as the spell, full force rebounds again and this time there is no ripping from his body, no pain beyone pain, but simple unreversable death.

Throughout the series Voldemort's arrogance has been his downfall more than anything else . . . he thinks he has it all under controll only to find out each time that he had underestimated or forgotten something. . . . I like it!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 29-01-2007, 13:39   #8
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

It certainly stops Harry becomming a killer and ripping his soul in two.

Old 29-01-2007, 13:44   #9
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

But . . . on second thought, what if this realy is true . . . We've just ruined the entire last book for ourselves!!!!!

_Willy Wonka

Old 29-01-2007, 14:34   #10
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Blast, you're right.

But it will only be one page!

How about trying to ruin the bit about how the Horcruxes are found and destroyed.

Perhaps we could start a poll? I don't know how perhaps Alz is the only one who can.

It could be headed
"How will the series end"
Harry kills Voldemort with AK curse
Harry kills Voldemort by beheading
Harry is a horcrux and walks through the veil to complete Voldemorts death.
Voldemort curses Harry but the spell rebounds and kills Voldemort
Voldemort kills Harry
They shake hands and decide to co-exist until they die of natural causes.