Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - The Answers

Deathly Hallows - The Answers Contained within here will be the septology questions & answers

Old 22-07-2007, 12:23   #1
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

The Veil - SPOILERS INCLUDED

Community,

Although most of our questions wound up being answered at long last, I cannot help but be resentful that we saw no more of the veil through which Sirius fell. The archway and the voices beyond it had me intrigued, but I could not see any references to it in DH. Anybody found some indirect answers to this?

"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

"I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost- but still, I was alive."

"I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal- to conquer death."
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 22:13   #2
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

Re: The Veil - SPOILERS INCLUDED

in the story of 'the three brother' the second brother who brings his old girlfriend back to life describes them as being seperate as 'though by a veil' i think this means that once you go beyond the veil there is no coming back, unless you fear death, the dead are at peace beyond the veil , and though they 'never truly leave us' there is no point dwelling on it as it will only drive you mad
Old 23-07-2007, 11:57   #3
Tonks
Unspeakable

Here's the direct quote:

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - ch. 21 - The Tale of the Three Brothers

" 'Meanwhile, the second brother journeyed to his own home, where he lived alone. Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand. To his amazement and his delight, the figure of a girl he had once hoped to marry, before her untimely death, appeared at once before him.
" 'Yet she was sad and cold, separated from him as by a veil.
though she had returned to the mortal world, she did not truly belong there and suffered. Finally, the second brother, driven mad with hopeless longing, killed himself so as truly to join her.
I think hannah's got a point there - the veil separates the dead from the living, and although barely out of reach, should not be dwelt upon.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 16:04   #4
Horntail88
TFH Graduate

I, too, would have liked a bit more reference to Sirius's passing away in this book...somehow, him just "falling beyond the veil" doesn't FINALIZE the matter, you know? Even if he WAS hit with the Killing Curse, they couldn't recover a body, so where did THAT go??
Horntail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 17:49   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

well, there were several things that I didn't get answered, but . . . expected that. Definately needed more explanation on the veil though, and what ever happened to JKR saying that we would hear from sirius again . . . just the little thing in the forest? was really expecting (hoping for) more!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 19:02   #6
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

Yeah - seriously....
SPF's right. JK said we would hear more from Sirius. And we all kinda got the feeling that it would be BIG. Instead, we get that dying is easier than falling asleep. Well .... to be honest, that's somewhat unlike Rowling - to get our hopes for a character so high, only to be mellow about it in the actual books.

"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

"I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost- but still, I was alive."

"I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal- to conquer death."
George is offline   Reply With Quote