Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - The Answers

Deathly Hallows - The Answers Contained within here will be the septology questions & answers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-07-2007, 08:17   #1
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Lightbulb Harry's Ancestors **Spoilers**

One that was a topic of debate was Is Harry related to Godric Gryffindor? We never found this out, however we did find out that Harry was related to Voldemort by a common ancestor, the three brothers. Voldemort decended from the middle brother and Harry decended from the youngest brother. However, were the founders born before or after the three brothers? (someone help me out on the name, Peverell isn't it?)

-------------

*Edit* Padma, I split your other thread so we could discuss Harry's relations in this one.. the other one about unanswered questions is still there. -Tonks

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)

Last edited by Tonks; 23-07-2007 at 12:10..
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 11:16   #2
frodobaggins
TFH Graduate

Re: Questions, Unanswered...**Spoilers**

well i think in saying harry was related the pervells it meant he wasnt related to gryffinfdor. but shoot he's still related to the guy who created one of the hallows!! and the best hallow according to hermonie
frodobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 12:07   #3
Tonks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Ch. 35 - King's Cross

"The Cloak, as you know now, traveled down through the ages, father to son, mother to daughter, right down to Ignotus's last living descendant, who was born, as Ignotus was, in the village of Godric's Hollow."
I think that although Harry was related to the youngest Peverell [Ignotus], he still could have been related to Godric Gryffindor. The Gaunts were still related to Salazar Slytherin but they were related to the Peverells as well. That makes me wonder how Slytherin fit into the Gaunts line - because if the Peverells were also related to Slytherin, then wouldn't Harry be as well?

Also, we know Gryffindor was born in Godric's Hollow. So was Ignotus. And so was Harry. Could Ignotus have been a descendant of Godric? This is all getting a bit confusing..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore

Last edited by Tonks; 23-07-2007 at 12:11..
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 15:02   #4
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
That makes me wonder how Slytherin fit into the Gaunts line - because if the Peverells were also related to Slytherin, then wouldn't Harry be as well?

Also, we know Gryffindor was born in Godric's Hollow. So was Ignotus. And so was Harry. Could Ignotus have been a descendant of Godric? This is all getting a bit confusing..
Thats what I've been wondering. Did the founders come before or after the Peverells chronologically? Either way though, that makes Harry related to Salazar Slytherin however distantly.

For some reason though, I'm thinking that the Peverells where before the founders of Hogwarts.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 15:17   #5
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Re: Harry's Ancestors **Spoilers**

hasn't it been said that wizards and witches are all inter-related anyway? we saw that with tonks/sirius/malfoy etc.

but the fact that rowling didn't say that harry was related to gryffindor makes me think that he isn't. i am sure that it would have been important to mention it.
Old 23-07-2007, 15:56   #6
Horntail88
TFH Graduate

Perhaps the Gaunt line held traces of both the Slytherin family and the Gryffindor line because Marvalo could be traced to one and his wife, the other.
Horntail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 13:30   #7
hp56
I'm a N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padma Patil View Post
Thats what I've been wondering. Did the founders come before or after the Peverells chronologically? Either way though, that makes Harry related to Salazar Slytherin however distantly.

For some reason though, I'm thinking that the Peverells where before the founders of Hogwarts.
I think that could be possible too, Padma. Harry could be related to Salazar Slytherin, so here's what I think:

The middle son of the Peverells (the one whom Voldemort is a descendant of) was the direct ancestor of Salazar Slytherin. Perhaps he was Salazar's grandfather or something like that?

Going on with the whole Harry could be a descendant of Godric Gryffindor thing, what if Ignotus Peverell (who Harry is the last descendant of) was Godric Gryffindor's grandfather??

If that was the case, then Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin would have been related in some way, making Harry distantly related to Slytherin.

Last edited by hp56; 24-07-2007 at 13:32.. Reason: forgot the word "related"
hp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 19:04   #8
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

The Peverells were before the founders . . . otherwise how did Salazar Slytherin have the stone in his ring? So . . . it is easy that Godrick and Salazar could be descended from the same line, as well as Voldemort and Harry.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote