Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 01-11-2004, 12:15   #1
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Question Destructing Houses

OK, this is an oldie but I like it!

We know the Killing curse leaves no mark - so how did the Potters House become reduced to rubble?

The last acts in the house we are lead to belive is Lily dying and then Voldemort attacking Harry - casting AK and then it backfires ....
We are then left with a blowup house ... and Harry still inside ...

Is this an indication that perhaps someone else was there - see point 1 - AK leaves no mark ... if you speculate the spell caused this, how did it blow up a house when it leaves no mark?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:20   #2
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

Re: Destructing Houses

Wormtail ransacked the house looking for Voldemort's wand--
Seems a bit simple of course but thats the way I pictured it--unless there was an actual fight/duel and missed curses bounced off objects in the house causing them to shatter and break--
I still think of it in the same state as when Harry's areawas ransacked when Ginny went to get the diary back from him in book 2

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:24   #3
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Thanks Wheezy

Hagrid says that he pulled Harry out of the rubble in PoA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid
It was me what rescued Harry from Lily an' James's house after they was killed! jus' got him outta the ruins, poor little thing, with a great slash across his forehead, an' his parents dead...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 01-11-2004, 12:26   #4
Tonks
Unspeakable

Alright, well, to take the easiest way out -- we know the Killing Curse itself leaves no mark, but what about the backfired Killing Curse? It's not like its ever happened before so no proof unless someone asks JKR, but the result is much different from that of the Killing Curse, so what's to say there aren't any side effects, such as Harry's scar, or even a destroyed house.

Otherwise, if we are going to go with someone else is there, what's to say there wasn't another Death Eater there helping Voldemort (not with the actual killing obviously, but with little servant-y type tasks). I think there's a possibility that he brought some backup, not that he would need it, but just because.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:28   #5
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

LMAO! I was just gonna quote that!

I was always under the impression that the magic that was activated when the curse was backfired was so powerful that it caused the house to collapse. Either that, or someone was there that night and demolished the house before they left, in an attempt to kill Harry by having the house fall on him...
Old 01-11-2004, 12:29   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

... given the force of that backfired spell - one that can destroy a house - would guess there wouldnt have been much left of Voldemort, Lily and Harry!
I dont think that is the case - Harry's protection saved him from Voldemorts AK curse - but wouldnt have stopped tons of concrete and motar falling on him ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 01-11-2004, 12:37   #7
catchthesnitch
Curious Yellow

A quote for thought:

Quote:
from PS/SS; the Vanishing Glass:
'You could just leave me here,' Harry put in hopefully (he'd be able to watch what he wanted on television for a change and maybe even have a go on Dudley's computer)/
Aunt Petunia looked as though she'd just swallowed a lemon.
'And come back and find the house in ruins?' she snarled.
'I won't blow up the house,' said Harry, but they weren't listening.
Not calling a judgment here, but isn't that quote food for thought. You guys have at it, but if the AK curse didn't do it, could little ickle baby Harry have done it somehow?

"You bloody fool. You should never mix your drinks."
-- Peter Marwood

"Be careful. Be very, very careful. This game is not for the weak."
-- The Game Cat

R=V+/-H, H=0.2675
catchthesnitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 13:06   #8
Tonks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
... given the force of that backfired spell - one that can destroy a house - would guess there wouldnt have been much left of Voldemort, Lily and Harry!
I dont think that is the case - Harry's protection saved him from Voldemorts AK curse - but wouldnt have stopped tons of concrete and motar falling on him ...
Well, if you're thinking that way, then couldn't anything else that had destroyed the house have killed Harry as well? But yeah, I see your point. If there was someone else there, they could have stopped anything from landing on Harry and injuring him.

Yet, Voldemort would have been just a spirit directly after the spell backfired -- or at least, his body wouldn't have really mattered anymore anyway, would it?

To stretch it extremely far just for the sake of it, I suppose the house didn't necessarily have to be completely destroyed. You never know, there could have been a beam that just happened to be propped up directly over Harry's head that protected him from being killed by falling ceilings.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 14:34   #9
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Also, when Voldemort, as Tom Riddle, killed his father and parents (have I got that bit right?) they were discovered without a mark on them, and there is no mention that the house had been destroyed in any way!

Interesting thread here, Blaise, whether this is just an oversight on JKR's part, or whether there is something to be revealed later in the Septology is anyone's guess!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 13:02   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

That will be my point - the AK spell is clean - in fact too clean as JKR states in the start of GoF the people that examined the Riddles assumed they were scared to death because the grey eyes and expression on their face was the only real evidence they were dead!

Someone or something brough the house down - and it seems that unless Harry has another little gift - Voldemort was alone and the parents were dead ... so what bought the house down and kept Harry safe?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536