Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - Analysis

Deathly Hallows - Analysis A look deeper into the mysteries and clues resolved in the book.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:03   #21
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Re: The Elder Wand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper
I don't get Harry's plan to just return it to the toom anyway. Especially like someone here mentioned, with Ron foaming at the mouth over it....
hmmmm . . . What a sequel series that could make! Ron becomes the new evil wizard fighting for world dominance, goes after Harry and the wand . . . If he plays his cards right, and doesn't let on to Harry that he is headed in that direction, he could just walk up to Harry who suspects nothing . . . one quick spell and the unbeatable wand is his!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 08:31   #22
Jimenem
Vampyre Elder

Location: Searching my soul for answers to questions that have yet to be asked.

All I'm saying is Grindlewald HAD to have had its allegiance for DD to later have its allegiance, and therefore Draco, and then Harry. If Grindlewald never had its allegiance then the wand would still belong to Gregorovitch. And it wouldn't have worked properly for anyone later. None of the story would have made any sense. Also the reason it didn't work when Voldemort stole it from DD is because DD was not the master of the elder wand when he died. Draco was.
Old 13-08-2007, 08:35   #23
Jimenem
Vampyre Elder

Location: Searching my soul for answers to questions that have yet to be asked.

Cool Re: The Elder Wand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan View Post
hmmmm . . . What a sequel series that could make! Ron becomes the new evil wizard fighting for world dominance, goes after Harry and the wand . . . If he plays his cards right, and doesn't let on to Harry that he is headed in that direction, he could just walk up to Harry who suspects nothing . . . one quick spell and the unbeatable wand is his!
Actually, yeah you may have said this to be funny. But you are very right. That kind of power is tempting as hell, and what Harry did with the wand was incredibly unstable. there's not even any magic protecting it as far as I'm aware. If Harry gets disarmed by anyone and they take his wand, even his phoenix feather one, the elder wands allegiance will transfer to whoever took his wand from him. Then all they had to do was tear open DD's tomb. Ok, for a stranger this would be unlikely, but as SPF said. Ron and Hermione both know where it is, and how easy it would be for them to own it. Kinda in-secured isn't it?
Old 13-08-2007, 10:32   #24
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

OK, but we also have to think about just who knew of the elder wands presence and history at this point. The trio knew . . . Voldemort and those close to him knew, but they all died . . . Xenophilius knew of the legend and believed in it, but didn't know who had it. Second, who knew that Harry left the wand with DD? the trio . . . no one else that I can think of . . . so, unless Ron and Hermionie turn alegience, (which I really believe unlikely when 19 years later they are all very prominent on the "good" side and working toward a common goal. So, is it secure? I think secure enough.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 14-08-2007, 03:04   #25
claymore04
TFH Graduate

Ron gets drunk, clever and angry.

Q:"Ron and Hermione looking at it with reverance that, even in his sleep-deprived state, he did not like to see."
claymore04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 08:44   #26
Piper
TFH Graduate

Jim,
I guess so, I guess Grindewald did have to be a true master for Dumbledore to have been. I keep seeing sources all over the net saying that Grindewald stunned Georgovitch on his way out, I cannot find that in the book, either I am just missing it, or I have missed an interview somewhere I guess. It must not matter anyway because Draco did not stun Dumbledore or anything though.

It is also the general consensus that Dumbledore did not intend for Snape to be the master of the elder wand, but that he intended for himself to be the last master, since Snape would not have actually defeated him. So why he sent the trio on a hunt for Hallows when he intended for the wand to never have another master I do not understand but anyway, that is the general consensus.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 12:15   #27
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I believe that DD did indeed intend to be the wand's last master, but, he also knew that Voldemort would try to steal it from him even in the tomb. There do seem to be holes . . . perhaps this is hat JKR was meaning when she told Radcliffe "Dumbledore is giving me problems"

_Willy Wonka

Old 14-08-2007, 17:28   #28
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

DD sent the trio on the quest for the DH, but he hoped that Harry would end up not seeking them, didn't he?

Also, if it hadn't been for the Draco thing, and someone took the wand from the tomb, would it then belong to them? Would that count as defeating the owner? If it did, then DD's plan was pretty flawed. It would have meant V was the actual master when he had the wand, and maybe a devoted Elder Wand could have found a way around the numerous protections Harry had, and managed to kill him.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 17:55   #29
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

A step further . . . if DD had died from the potion, and Malfoy never needed to disarm him, and . . . Snape hadn't killed him . . . then would the wand ever have a master again?

_Willy Wonka

Old 14-08-2007, 21:44   #30
Piper
TFH Graduate

She was probably fretting that eventually people would figure out that she had Dumbledore introduce them to the idea of the Deathly Hallows for no good reason. I am sure failing to see the point now.

Here is Dumbledores thought process it seems:

"Well lets see, hopefully when Voldemort took Harry's blood, that guarenteed that Harry will end up living when Voldemort tries to kill him again. All I have to do is ensure that he willingly goes to his death, I can use Snape for that, just have him break the news to Harry that he is a Horcrux too. As long as Harry and his friends manage to get all of the Horcruxes destroyed, Voldemort will be gone.

I could leave them clear, concise directions on how to destroy Horcruxes, but why don't I just leave them very vague clues concerning the Deathly Hallows instead? Of course, it wouldn't matter if Harry had all 3 items, that doesn't make you immortal, even being Master of the Elder wand wouldn't really save him in a duel with Voldemort if this blood protection thing doesn't work out, all that is just a fairy tale, and, I am going to be the LAST Master of the Elder Wand anyway, Snape won't truely be defeating me. Yes, Yes, I definately want these 3 kids who are the last hope for humanity distracted with the Deathly Hallows wild goose chase. If it turns out that they couldn't work out the silly details of how to destroy Horcruxes without killing themselves, because I didn't leave good instructions, and Voldemort doesn't die because they were busy worrying with fairy tales, oh well".
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote