Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > The Final Horcrux Reviews and Articles > The Final Horcrux Articles

The Final Horcrux Articles A selection of Articles from the members of TFH and also Chapter by Chapter submissions

Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
PS/SS - Chapter 17 - The Man With Two Faces
Published by Weasleyfanforever
13-11-2005

Chapter Summary

At the very beginning of this chapter we learn that, much to the disbelief of Harry, Snape was not the one after the Stone, but Quirrell was. He then sees that Dumbledore has hidden the stone in the Mirror of Erised. He gets the stone because he wants it, but doesnít want to use it. Quirrel then exposes Voldemort out of the back of his head and reveals that he has been there since he tried and failed to steal the stone from Gringotts. Quirrel tries to get the stone from Harry, but Harry realizes that when Quirrel touches him, he is burned. Harry then tries to grab as much of Quirrels exposed skin as he can, passing out soon after.

He wakes up in the hospital wind to find Dumbledore hovering over him. They converse about what happened, and he leaves. Hermione and Ron visit him, and they discuss the possibility that Dumbledore let Harry go after Quirrel. Hagrid arrives, and is badly shaken by the experience, and blames it all on himself.

The End of Term Feast rolls around, with Slytherin set to win the House Cup for the 7th year in a row. Dumbledore doles out last minute points to Ron, for a fantastic game of chess, to Hermione, for her used of logic against Snapeís obstacle, to Harry for courage and bravery, and lastly to Neville, for having the courage to stand up to his friends. This causes Gryffindor to win the House Cup amongst an outburst of cheers. Harry, Hermione and Ron take the train ride back to Muggle London, agreeing that they will meet at the Burrow that summer. Harry leaves with the Dursleys.

Major Events:

Harry discovers Quirrell looking for the Stone. He fights him and wins, barely. Quirrell is dead and Voldemort escapes.

Dumbledore explains some things to Harry in the infirmary. He cannot answer the first question, and it becmes very important later in the septology.

Ron, Hermione, Harry and Neville are all awarded House Points at the End of Term Festival due to the events of the story. This causes Gryffindor to win the House Cup for the first time in 7 years.

Harry goes back to the Dursleys.

Points of Interest:

Quirrel is burned badly whenever Harry touches him. This is because of the protection that Lily left on him, and I believe, is the same thing that cause Vernon Dursley to drop him in OotP.

Dumbledore says that he never received Hermione's owl telling him what happened, but he mysteriously knew that he should come back to Hogwarts. He never explains this.

Hermione, Ron and Harry discuss the possibility that Dumbledore knew everything and was giving Harry a chance to prove himself.

Dumbledore tells Harry that he was not afraid that Quirrell would get the stone, but that the effort of Harry trying to keep Quirrell away from it nearly killed him, and he thought for a moment that it had. I don't know why, but that raises a red flag for me...

Dumbledore encourages Harry to use Voldemort's name, saying that : Fear of a name increases fear of a thing itself". It seems that he is encouraging Harry to not be afraid of Voldemort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumbledore

Nevertheless, Harry, while you may only have delayed his return to power, it will merely take someone else who is prepared to fight what seems a losing battle next time -- and if he is delayed again, and again, why, he may never return to power.

It seems to me here that Dumbledore is not being honest. He knows that the only way for Voldemort to be vaquished is for Harry to do it.

Quote:

"The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution. However, I shall your questions unless I have a very good reason not to, in which case I beg you'll forgive me. I shall not, of course, lie."

I think this passage is very interesting...

In the next paragraph, Harry asks why Voldemort would want to kill him. Unbeknownst to us until last summer, Dumbledore is reffering to the prophecy when he tells him that he will tell him later...

We learn about Lily's protection over Harry. We also learn of Snape and James' "relationship".

As usual, this passage leaves many questions to be asked and answered:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldemort

"Don't be a fool," snarled the face. "Better save your own life and join me... or you'll meet the same end as your parents.... They died begging me for mercy..."

"LIAR!" Harry shouted suddenly.

Quirrell was walking backward at him, so that Voldemort could still see him. The evil face was now smiling.

"How touching..." it hissed. "I always value bravery... Yes, boy, your parents were brave.... I killed your father first; and he put up a courageous fight... but your mother needn't have died... she was trying to protect you.... Now give me the Stone, unless you want her to have died in vain."

Major Characters:

Harry Potter

Hermione Granger

Ronald Weasley

Neville Longbottom

Dumbledore

Quirrel

Voldemort

Mentioned Characters:

Severus Snape

James Potter

Lily Potter