Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Old 18-12-2006, 22:40   #1
Blanche A. McFusty
TFH Graduate

Why a wizard needs transfiguration

What happens to a creature that is transfigured? In The Chamber of Secrets Harry is interrupted while learning to turn two white rabbits to slippers. How necessary is that? When would you more conveniently have two white rabbits rather than a pair of slippers. When does one need to turn one's rat into a drinking goblet?

How is transfiguration used in a practical sense in the wizarding world? For the life of me I cannot think of a single instance. McGonagall turns herself into a cat. Is that transfiguration or an animagus? Dumbledore was professor of transfiguration, so it must be important. Honestly, though, what for?
Blanche A. McFusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 04:18   #2
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Re: Why a wizard needs transfiguration

WOW, Your answers are everywhere in the books.
When DD fights Voldemort in MoM, his cool use of those figures to come alive and protect him from Avada Kedavra curse is a classic example for importance of transfiguration.
I can go on and on about all these examples, but the question doesnt need to be dragged that far to know that Transfiguration is indeed important to a wizard or a witch.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 08:58   #3
M.A.H.
TFH Graduate

If you question transfiguration you should also ask yourself what use the other subjects have. And after that you should ask yourself why in the first place it is useful to learn magic.

And the fransfiguration used to protect the Sorceres Stone was pretty useful.
Old 20-12-2006, 22:37   #4
Blanche A. McFusty
TFH Graduate

Oh, for heaven's sake. I have already questioned the useful application of other magical feats. I think it would be unbelievably cool and practical to use other methods of doing magic. I guess you think that transfiguration is an obviously useful skill. I just don't see that to be all that great in comparison with the other ways to employ magic.
Blanche A. McFusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 04:41   #5
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

You are saying it all like everything weighs out on comparision.
Sure, if you like to compare stuff, DADA class beats Transfiguration class any day.
And that is why JKR keeps us more into DADA stuff, than transfiguration. But I am sure book 7 will bring more.
As a wizard, one could say hey, I dont like this whole transfiguration thing compared to charms and spells and potions work.
Fair Enough.
But, does that mean that transfiguration is not so useful or powerful as those other characteristics? Heck no..... in fact we have seen more awe, and brilliancy with transfiguration so far than any other stuff in these books. And more are coming........
In fact we are told by JKR that world's greatest wizard Dumbledore was actually the transfiguration teacher during earlier days at Hogwarts.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
Old 21-12-2006, 10:21   #6
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Keeping in mind, the examples given were shown in a first year transfiguration class.. You think a 7th year student is still working on rats into goblets? Unlikely.. You learn to spell the word "cat" first, then you work up to "catastrophic"..
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 15:20   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche A. McFusty View Post
What happens to a creature that is transfigured? In The Chamber of Secrets Harry is interrupted while learning to turn two white rabbits to slippers. How necessary is that? When would you more conveniently have two white rabbits rather than a pair of slippers. When does one need to turn one's rat into a drinking goblet?

How is transfiguration used in a practical sense in the wizarding world? For the life of me I cannot think of a single instance. McGonagall turns herself into a cat. Is that transfiguration or an animagus? Dumbledore was professor of transfiguration, so it must be important. Honestly, though, what for?
Actually at the risk of enduring the site egg throwing as well - I agree with you ...
I dont see it as that important a skill really ...
In practicle situations - when you really need your magic, what - you are going to spend time turning a lightbulb into a tiger?
I suppose there is a practicle aspect to the magic but it almost seems like cheesy muggle magic to me ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 20:18   #8
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

As a teacher, I have think I have an unique perspecive on this that maybe some have not considered......every day I hear grumbled mumbles and outright shouts from students wondering out loud why they have to learn this thing or that----what use will algebra be? where am I ever going to use this garbage we're learning in physics? why does anyone need to know what happened in 1830? I remember asking the same questions when I was a student---even into graduate school. Now, I often say to myself "Oh---that's why we learned that" or. maybe more often, "I wish I had studied harder". Why do Hogwarts students learn History, Divination, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, etc.? Maybe because they'll never know when they'll need to know some of that stuff? Knowledge and wisdom do not always enter the mind at the same time or rate....
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 05:06   #9
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bandman View Post
As a teacher, I have think I have an unique perspecive on this that maybe some have not considered......every day I hear grumbled mumbles and outright shouts from students wondering out loud why they have to learn this thing or that----what use will algebra be? where am I ever going to use this garbage we're learning in physics? why does anyone need to know what happened in 1830? I remember asking the same questions when I was a student---even into graduate school. Now, I often say to myself "Oh---that's why we learned that" or. maybe more often, "I wish I had studied harder". Why do Hogwarts students learn History, Divination, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, etc.? Maybe because they'll never know when they'll need to know some of that stuff? Knowledge and wisdom do not always enter the mind at the same time or rate....
I agree word to word.
I would also like to throw in this.
Life doesnt have do or die moments every day. Wizards and Witches do live normal life too. In their normal life, transfiguration and Potions are the most used forms of magic.
Yes, I agree that charms and spells do amaze us a lot. Throwing spells around and charming things would really bring magic out on a wizard or a witch. But one should not forget about normal conditions.
Think about doing stuff around in house, work, travel, study, and of course cooking in the kitchen. Transfiguration can be really handy.
And of course, talented wizards like Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Snape who are quick and precise, can use transfiguration in a fight too. You see, nothing is a better weapon, than a weapon of surprise.
I am sure we can dig more into this, but where is the limit?

Old 22-12-2006, 06:45   #10
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bandman View Post
Mr_Bandman, I'm a mechanical designer and I use geometry, algebra, trig and physics every single day of my life. I too asked those silly questions back in the day. Tell your students that even if they don't forsee needing them, life tends to have it's own plans, and they seldom agree with our own.
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote