Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2007, 10:36   #1
Arwan
TFH Graduate
 
Arwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 135
Rep Power: 12Arwan is on a distinguished road

Question Petunia

okay bear with me a minute

Let say that petunia is the one who discovers magic later in life. Which would change her from muggle to witch, not unlike other muggle children before they find out that they are magic.

What do you think JKR plans for her to do, it must be something important, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Harry and Voldemort.

I would love to hear any thoughts.
Arwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 10:55   #2
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate
 
Glumbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ware, UK
Posts: 357
Rep Power: 12Glumbumble is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

JKR has already said that that will not be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.K.Rowling Official Site, Section: Rumours
Aunt Petunia will start exhibiting magical tendencies

No, she won't. Aunt Petunia has never performed magic, nor will she ever be able to do so.
__________________
There was the Door to which I found no Key:
There was the Veil through which I could not see:
Some little talk awhile of Me and Thee
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 17:09   #3
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate
 
Mr_Bandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 51
Posts: 165
Rep Power: 12Mr_Bandman is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

Okay....here's what I posted in the "What IS she?" thread:

Here's a theory that does not involve Petunia necessarily being anything other than a muggle. I have argued in another thread that Dudley would be the one to use magic late in life---that Dumbledore had been suppressing his magical abilities in exchange for Petunia taking Harry in. Suddenly I'm not so sure.....maybe Dumbledore was simply extending the protection of Harry over Dudley as well because Petunia fears Voldemort will come after him----the only family she has left that she cares about. Was Voldemort after Lilly & Harry for something in addition to stopping the prophecy? Could he have been trying to shut down their bloodline? Okay....so who is Harry descended from? That could be huge. It would also mean that Petunia & Dudley are descended from the same line of wizards/witches.........Dudley has magic in his bloodline, therefore his children could continue the family line. Is Petunia simply afraid that Voldemort has unfinished business with her family, and Dumbledore has been keeping their very existence from Voldemort?

Now....let me add to that.....Godric's Hollow is almost certainly the Griffindor family estate. JKR does not make randomly coincidental mistakes, and 2 prominent Godrics are just not going to happen. Two Johns or Bobs, maybe, but not 2 Godrics. No way. The Evans family are the last remaining members of the Griffindor line. (Fawkes could have brought Harry any weapon to combat the Basilisk----but he brought him Griffindor's Sword. Why? Certainly not the cock & bull story Dumbledore gave Harry----in retrospect it seems Dumbledore has often been guilty of withholding information from Harry. No---Fawkes brought Harry that particular sword because it belongs to Harry. It is a family heirloom.) There must be a great reason that Voldemort needs to end the bloodlines of the other 3 Hogwarts founders. I'll put money down that Harry, Dudley, and Petunia are the last 3 members of the last family left.

Thoughts?
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 19:40   #4
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate
 
Glumbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ware, UK
Posts: 357
Rep Power: 12Glumbumble is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

I think that the immediate problem with this argument is that JKR has already said the Potter’s wealth, and James’ invisibility cloak were inherited from James’ family. Lily’s parents’ are described as muggles, although I have argued on another thread that this does not necessarily mean that that they are from a totally non-magical lineage. The fact that Petunia, when recounting the arrival of Lily’s Hogwarts’ letter says how proud her parents were “to have a witch in the family” seems to indicate that there were no other relatives connected to the wizard world.

Clearly Petunia had contacts with the magical world that she has tried to hide not only from Harry but also from Vernon and Dudley. JKR has said that Dumbledore had communicated with Petunia, by letter, prior to Harry going to Privet Drive. Although this is assumed to be in regard to Harry it does not actually make sense for this to be the case. Had the communication been about Harry and the possibility of him being cared for by the Dursley family why would Dumbledore have left Harry on the doorstep waiting to be found? No Dumbledore and Petunia had some other interest in common.

JKR is, with us mortals, like Dumbledore was with Harry. I do not think that she lies to us, sometimes she says she cannot answer our questions and sometimes she drops hints. For our part we must ask the right questions.

We know for instance that Petunia learned of dementors from “that boy” but we don’t know who that boy is, we assume that it is James but we don’t know.

We know that Snape does not have a daughter, JKR has told us that, but we do not know if he has a son.

We know that Dudley is no more than he seems, JKR has said that.

We know that there is more to Petunia than meets the eye.

I am sure that I have read somewhere that JKR has confirmed that Dudley is the child of Petunia and Vernon, but I cannot confirm that.

What we do not know is whether Dudley is Petunia’s only son!

We know that Petunia is the nosiest woman in the world but could she also be the most frightened? Is she always waiting for the possibility that there will be a knock on the door that will reveal another part of her life? After all when Vernon intended to expel Harry from the house, in OotP, she said that Harry must stay but did not give a proper explanation to Vernon.

Snape and Petunia seem to me to be made for each other. Petunia spoils her son, Snape spoils the members of his house! Both hate Harry!

Maybe Lily took Snape home at some point before her relationship with James and a relationship developed between him and Petunia. That could be the reason that they both hate Harry as he is the person that could connect them again.
__________________
There was the Door to which I found no Key:
There was the Veil through which I could not see:
Some little talk awhile of Me and Thee
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Last edited by Glumbumble; 14-01-2007 at 03:12..
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 08:00   #5
M.A.H.
TFH Graduate
 
M.A.H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Netherlands
Age: 30
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0M.A.H. is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

I don't think Snape was willing to go to the Evans: in the pensieve he refused help from Lily and called her Mudblood. Ofcourse this could be te anger of a boy whose girl(Lily) ended their relationship, but I don't think so.

Perhaps 'that boy' Petunia was talking about was a brother of James. I don't know if he has had any siblings but that seems a little more logical dan Snape and Petunia to me.

For Petunia's concact with the magical world, maybe mss. Figg is an option. We don't know why they had always left Harry to stay at her house instead of any other neighbour. Perhaps Dumbledore orderd Petunia to drop Harry at her house for once in a while so she could check on him?
__________________
'It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, and nothing more' - Dumbledore, HBP
M.A.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 04:17   #6
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate
 
Glumbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ware, UK
Posts: 357
Rep Power: 12Glumbumble is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

Some more quotes;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
According to J. K. Rowling, James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. She has also said that Harry's considerable inherited fortune came via his father James from the Potters, and that she made them wealthy because it was something she would have wished for herself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Black. OotP
'You ran away from home?'
'When I was about sixteen,' said Sirius. 'I'd had enough.'
'Where did you go?' asked Harry, staring at him.
'Your dad's place,' said Sirius. 'Your grandparents were really good about it; they sort of adopted me as a second son. Yeah, I camped out at your dad's in the school holidays, and when I was seventeen I got a place of my own. My Uncle Alphard had left me a decent bit of gold - he's been wiped off here, too, that's probably why - anyway, after that I looked after myself. I was always welcome at Mr and Mrs Potter's for Sunday lunch, though.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interview: J.K. Rowling, World Book Day - March 2004
Rita: What happend to Harry's grandparents? Will we ever learn about them?

JKR: They're all dead and not particularly important to the story, although you will find out a little bit more.
I don't think that "That Boy was James' brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR. The Connection (WBUR Radio), 12 October, 1999
However/, everyone should keep their eye on Snape, I'll just say that, because there's more to him than meets the eye,
Quote:
Originally Posted by J K Rowling at the Edinburgh Book Festival Sunday 15 August 2004
No, she is not a Squib. She is a Muggle, but—[Laughter]. You will have to read the other books. You might have got the impression that there is a little bit more to Aunt Petunia than meets the eye, and you will find out what it is. She is not a squib, although that is a very good guess. Oh, I am giving a lot away here. I am being shockingly indiscreet.
Interesting use of the same words to describe both Snape and Petunia?

If not Snape could Petunia have been involved with someone else.
__________________
There was the Door to which I found no Key:
There was the Veil through which I could not see:
Some little talk awhile of Me and Thee
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 07:25   #7
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate
 
Mr_Bandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 51
Posts: 165
Rep Power: 12Mr_Bandman is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glumbumble View Post
I think that the immediate problem with this argument is that JKR has already said the Potter’s wealth, and James’ invisibility cloak were inherited from James’ family. Lily’s parents’ are described as muggles, although I have argued on another thread that this does not necessarily mean that that they are from a totally non-magical lineage. The fact that Petunia, when recounting the arrival of Lily’s Hogwarts’ letter says how proud her parents were “to have a witch in the family” seems to indicate that there were no other relatives connected to the wizard world.
I don't agree with that assessment at all, G. I think Petunia's & Lilly's parents would have been terrified to have a witch in the family if they hadn't already known of the existence of the magical world. Maybe they were muggles who were descended from an off-shoot of a magical family. I don't buy the argument that there were no other relatives connected to the wizard world. Why else would they have been so proud "to have a witch in the family"? Besides, my argument is that Voldemort may want to end a family bloodline, and it could very well be the Evans side of the family. Maybe they were trying to hide their lineage by assimilating into muggle society and diluting the blood, so to speak. Maybe that's part of Voldemort's plan---to rid the world of "diluted" blood----that would make a great deal of sense, especially considering JKR's admission that she modeled V & the DEs after Hitler & the SS.

I don't know, but I do feel that dismissing it as a possibility altogether doesn't hold any water either.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 10:10   #8
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate
 
Glumbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ware, UK
Posts: 357
Rep Power: 12Glumbumble is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

Mr. Bandman. Perhaps we are two nations separated by a common language.

You have presented an argument that involves Harry, and Dudley being descended from Godric Gryffindor. In supporting your argument you have proposed that Godric’s Hollow may have been the Gryffindor family estate, and well it might. You have proposed that the Gryffindor bloodline runs through the Evans family, which I can see no evidence for.

Using quotes from the books and from several of JKR’s interviews I have tried to clarify what we know about Harry’s family. When I say that the “immediate problem” with your theory is that both cannon and comments indicate that the Potter’s wealth, probably including Godric’s Hollow, come via the Potter lineage and not the Evans lineage simply means that that is something that needs to be explained. It is not that your idea is wrong it is rather that it is not supported by evidence.

JKR has said that Harry’s grandparents are all dead and not particularly important to the story, although you will find out a little bit more. She has also said that we will learn more about James’ family in later books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005}MA: His family?
JKR: Family, yes.
MA: Should we talk about that a little more?
JKR: No. But you can! [Laughter.
MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?
JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.
MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.
JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah.
You mention in the last post that the Evans’ would be “terrified to have a witch in the family” this has been addressed by JKR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR. World Book Day 2004
HPFreak7: How are muggle parents convinced to let their kids go to Hogwarts, a strange place they never heard of before; and wouldn't they think it was a practical joke?
JK Rowling replies -> In the case of Muggle parents, special messengers are sent to explain everything to them. But don't forget that they will have noticed that there's something strange about their child for the previous ten years, so it won't come as a complete bolt from the blue.
I guess that this applied to Hermione’s parents, the Creevey brothers’ parents, Justin Finch Fletchley’s parents et al.


JKR has said that had Lily moved aside and allowed Voldemort to kill Harry she would have lived and this would not support the idea of ending a bloodline, had it existed, and had it gone through the Evans family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "The Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part One," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005
ES: This is one of my burning questions since the third book - why did Voldemort offer Lily so many chances to live? Would he actually have let her live?
JKR: Mmhm.
ES: Why?
JKR: [silence] Can't tell you. But he did offer, you're absolutely right. Don't you want to ask me why James's death didn't protect Lily and Harry? There’s your answer, you've just answered your own question, because she could have lived and chose to die. James was going to be killed anyway. Do you see what I mean? I’m not saying James wasn't ready to; he died trying to protect his family but he was going to be murdered anyway. He had no - he wasn't given a choice, so he rushed into it in a kind of animal way, I think there are distinctions in courage. James was immensely brave. But the caliber of Lily's bravery was, I think in this instance, higher because she could have saved herself. Now any mother, any normal mother would have done what Lily did. So in that sense her courage too was of an animal quality but she was given time to choose. James wasn't. It's like an intruder entering your house, isn't it? You would instinctively rush them. But if in cold blood you were told, "Get out of the way," you know, what would you do? I mean, I don't think any mother would stand aside from their child. But does that answer it? She did very consciously lay down her life. She had a clear choice –
I am sorry that you felt that I dismissed your argument, which may have been the case had I not supported my arguments with evidence from books and interviews. I look forward to seeing the supporting evidence for the ideas that you have put forward.
__________________
There was the Door to which I found no Key:
There was the Veil through which I could not see:
Some little talk awhile of Me and Thee
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Last edited by Glumbumble; 16-01-2007 at 01:42..
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 08:20   #9
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate
 
Mr_Bandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 51
Posts: 165
Rep Power: 12Mr_Bandman is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

To be accurate, my "argument" was really nothing of the sort....it was and is just spur of the moment speculation that frothed up from something someone else posted. They started as simple rambling questions regarding Petunia's pronounced shock at learning of Voldemort's return, leading to questions regarding how much she knows, how she came to know it, etc. Again, just speculation....for the fun of it. She knows something, and I believe it is more than she would have learned growing up in a muggle home with a sister who was "different" and who she resented deeply.

I am convinced that there will be occurrences in the final book that will make us scratch our heads and say, "Hey---she said that wasn't a big deal". Upon digging for quotes and interviews and "evidence" we will probably find that she found a clever way to sidestep an issue or to word her answer in such a way as to conceal the "truth" or her own intent. I also think that pure reliance on cannon and comment, as you put it, are going to make us miss a few things in trying to piece it all together. Again, that's just speculation on my part. The only "evidence" I have to support that assertion is that I have yet to read one of her novels that did not hit me with something that I did not anticipate. So...I find myself jumping to all sorts of wild conclusions....some more lucid than others....and it's fun.

I will be very surprised it the Godric for which Godric's Hollow is named is not Griffindor. She does not make coincidental mistakes like that. As to whose house it currently is, I understand why the Potter's wealth "probably" included Godric's Hollow?. I think, however, that assumptions are the soil in which plot twists grow. Again, unsupportable conjecture......but I like sifting through the ideas, and I like the banter it generates.

Last edited by Mr_Bandman; 16-01-2007 at 16:02..
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 10:57   #10
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate
 
Glumbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ware, UK
Posts: 357
Rep Power: 12Glumbumble is on a distinguished road

Re: Petunia

The issue of the connection of Godric’s Hollow and Godric Gryffindor is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Newsround interview, 2000
And I'm going to ask one other question which you'll say isn't clever at all. The significance of the place where Harry and his parents lived, the first name -- Godric Gryffindor.
Very good, you're a bit good you are, aren't you?
Thank you.
I'm impressed. My editor didn't notice, I said to her haven't you noticed any connection between where Harry's parents were born, not born, where they lived, and one of the Hogwarts houses and she's sitting there going erm... I'm not being rude about Emma she's a brilliant editor, the best I've ever [had]. But no she didn't pick that up either. You're a bit good you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR- Jeremy Paxman Interview 2003
"Because that's part of the excitement of the story, and having sweated blood to create all my red herrings and lay all my clues...
"There is one thing that if anyone guessed I would be really annoyed, as it is kind of the heart of it all.
"And it kind of explodes everything - and no one's quite got there, but a couple of people have skirted it."
The clues are out there we must enjoy finding them
__________________
There was the Door to which I found no Key:
There was the Veil through which I could not see:
Some little talk awhile of Me and Thee
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


  Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:40.
Style Designed by Epic Designz
 
 

Harry Potter & all associated names and images remain the property of J.K Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishers UK and AOL Time Warner.All other logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2005 by The Final Horcrux.
You are not permitted to hotlink/hyperlink any images from the site.
Please respect the intellectual rights of The Final Horcrux. You must contact the webmaster/administrator of The Final Horcrux if you wish to take any part of the site and contents for reproduction on another site, forum, or other web presence. Any site that plagiarises The Final Horcrux will be subject to a complaint being registered against them.
 

Right Page Border