Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Old 25-01-2007, 12:55   #21
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Re: Dumbledores letters to petunia

I think you are right there Mr Bandman. I think that Petunia thought that she had another year of protection or something and was distressed to learn that it would end when Harry was 17 not 18. The reason will be learned when we establish why Dumbledore and Petunia were in contact prior to the death of Lily. I have to say that I do not think that it is something to do with Dudley. I do think that she has had a relationship of some kind with someone in the wizard world other than Lily and James and this has left her embittered. My guess is still Snape who JKR says has been loved by someone. He, I think, is incapable of loving himself he is too much in the mould of his master.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Last edited by Glumbumble; 25-01-2007 at 13:25.. Reason: spelling
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 09:18   #22
serophis
TFH Graduate

Yeah, Petunia seemed way too interested that Harry came of age at 17...I agree that something is going to be different with Petunia when Harry turns 17, so it likely is the protection factor.

As far as Snape...there has to be some kind of story with some kind of romantic relationship there; I mean, JKR said he loved someone; the HBP's book was written in female's handwriting (wasn't it?)...I doubt JKR would throw those things out there if there wasn't some kind of romantic story about Snape that would come out in book 7.

I was never a believer in the Snape loved Lily plot, but if you follow the theory through to its conclusion, that's what I get to: Snape loved someone, a female wrote in his schoolbook, Snape hated James for some reason, Voldemort asked Lily to step aside, JKR said that there would be no new big characters in book 7. Using the Occam's Razor method this is the only possible solution I can get at that makes any sense, without introducing a whole string of unknowns.
Harry, Listen to me. The words of Snape echoed in his mind. If you ever in your life trusted me, you must do so now. Dumbledore sacrificed his own life so that I could stand by your side in this very moment. Don't let his sacrifice be in vain!

-an exerpt from Deathly Hallows, a Work in Progress (My own fanfiction work)
serophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 18:52   #23
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think this comes back to another post somewhere ...
Ever wondered why Petunia took Harry in - I mean, the way they treated him showed his wasnt a welcome guest!
I think that Petunia consented to looking after Harry because Dumbledore placed a protection over the whole house and occupants in there versus just Harry.
I further think Petunia freaked out when she found out it would end at 17 versus 18 as at the same time, her families protection would also end.
I think Dumbledore told her Voldemort might come after her looking for Harry - offered protection to the whole familiy and that is why we have the compliance from Petunia and the fact she also over-rode Vernon in OoTP when Dumbledore sent the howler.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 14:59   #24
Piper
TFH Graduate

I think it's most likely that the female writing was that of his mother. The book was most likely handed down because for one thing, It didn't seem like the Snape family had a lot of money, and why pay good money for a new book if you already have one? I am assuming that the run down house in Spinner's End was inherited by Snape from his muggle father and Mother, Eileen Prince. And for another, it is said of Snape that he showed up knowing more potions and curses and such than most much older students. I think Snape probably had lots of lessons from that book earlier in life. From his mother. ]

I don't think it could have been Petunia writing in his book, if she was in communication with someone other than Dumbledore, from the magical world, or had a love interest in the Wizard world, I think Lupin would have made a lot more sense, or Sirius, because those were the friends of James that would have most likely been around. I mean for instance if Hermonie had a sister, her sister would be more likely to know Ron and Harry than say Malfoy for instance.

I think the Snape/Lily connection might have been a lot like what we see from Malfoy with Hermonie actually, he's clearly interested in her, despite the way that he acts. Hermonie does not seem to have noticed this, but Lily would have been given an entire year longer to notice than it seems that Hermonie will be given, in school, and a lot can happen in a year.

Given the awful treatment that Snape seems to deal out to Nelville at every turn, I wonder what the relationship between Alice Longbotton and Snape might have been.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 18:55   #25
jimbo716
TFH Graduate

Perhaps DD gave Petunia a peek into the pensive at some point. This would allow her to have seen the destruction caused by LV without having been a firsthand witness.
Old 27-02-2007, 22:51   #26
Piper
TFH Graduate

JKR has stated that both she and Dumbledore differentiate between the letters sent to Petunia and Vernon as a couple, and the letters sent to Petunia alone.

The letter left in the basket with Harry was addressed to both Petunia and Vernon. JKR has said that by his "Last" she means a letter that Dumbledore left for Petunia on the doorstep when Harry was 1 year old" (Not on the night his parents died, not that awful night, but instead, when Harry was 1 year old, very tricky that JKR)

If there were protection for herself, Vernon, and Dudley, why did the Dementors come after Dudley?

When asked by Harry about that Howler, Dumbledore replies: "`I thought, that she might need reminding of the pact she had sealed by taking you." So he isn't wanting her to think of the letter addressed to herself and Vernon, but rather to another letter, addressed to her alone.

So she took Harry as her own, before that basket was left with Harry and the Letter that was addressed to BOTH of the Dursleys. "Remember my last" ...... my last letter telling you why you had to meet me that awful night....

I am telling you, Petunia had to have done this in order for Harry to have been protected from that AK Curse, she had to have been there, under the invisibility cloak that night at Godric's Hollow. The bond of blood protection was not sealed until Petunia took Harry for her own.

And another thing, Wormtail had to have told Petunia the location of that cottage where they were hiding, or else she could not have been taken to it. Wormtail also had to have told Hagrid where it was, or Hagrid could not have rescued Harry.

I am telling you, Petunia puts up a big big act for Vernon in regards to the Magical World. And for the neighbors, on November 1st, she was putting on a good act so she could make a nice scene pretending to be surprised when Harry showed up.

Last edited by Piper; 27-02-2007 at 22:54..
Old 28-02-2007, 07:18   #27
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

We are all expecting Petunia to surprise us . . . and Harry at some point, just too many little things that JKR has thrown out there to bait us on. She knew what Dementors were, and was apropriately afraid of them, knew of Voldemort, how bad he was, that he had been defeated, ans was upset to hear of his return. She knows too much to be such an innocent muggle.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 12:28   #28
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
If there were protection for herself, Vernon, and Dudley, why did the Dementors come after Dudley?

When asked by Harry about that Howler, Dumbledore replies: "`I thought, that she might need reminding of the pact she had sealed by taking you." So he isn't wanting her to think of the letter addressed to herself and Vernon, but rather to another letter, addressed to her alone.

So she took Harry as her own, before that basket was left with Harry and the Letter that was addressed to BOTH of the Dursleys. "Remember my last" ...... my last letter telling you why you had to meet me that awful night....

I am telling you, Petunia had to have done this in order for Harry to have been protected from that AK Curse, she had to have been there, under the invisibility cloak that night at Godric's Hollow. The bond of blood protection was not sealed until Petunia took Harry for her own.

And another thing, Wormtail had to have told Petunia the location of that cottage where they were hiding, or else she could not have been taken to it. Wormtail also had to have told Hagrid where it was, or Hagrid could not have rescued Harry.

I am telling you, Petunia puts up a big big act for Vernon in regards to the Magical World. And for the neighbors, on November 1st, she was putting on a good act so she could make a nice scene pretending to be surprised when Harry showed up.
Okay, P----I agree with some of that...and maybe we agree on all of it....we'll see. I'm not sure Petunia was there when James & Lily were killed. That doesn't make great sense to me....unless....her pact with Dumbledore involves her ridding herself of the sister she despises. I don't see that though. I think she is self-serving to the core, and her entire reason for taking in Harry has to do with having herself and her son protected from Voldemort. She has, in my view, endured some sort of trauma related to Voldemort's initial reign of terror. She is obviously well-informed on the magical world. Why she feels she needs that protection is the real question----what is she aware of that would make her and her family targets for Lord Voldemort and the DEs? Is there, as I have supposed before, magic in her immediate family? JKR has said that Petunia won't be the one to do magic late in life, and that there's no more to Dudley than meets the eye. (As and aside, I have often thought there may be at least a small chance that JKR is not always completely honest in her statements about her characters.)Are Petunia, Dudley, & Harry part of a bloodline that would be of interest to Voldemort for some reason? Is there a specific connection between Petunia and Voldemort or one of the DEs?

As to Petunia learning the location of Godric's Hollow....I wonder if there is significance in the way the Potters' death scene is played out in the first movie? It looks an awful lot like Godric's Hollow is their home, complete with Harry's nursery. That doesn't sound like a hiding place, unless they were placed there for long term protection for some reason----I think that unlikely. Given JKR's reported involvement in correcting errors in the films to stay faithful to her storyline, I can't believe they would have presented Godric's Hollow as a happy little suburban home if it were anything else. I'm guessing that Petunia knew good and well where her sister lived.

An interesting question as to why the Dementors came after Dudley......for that matter, why did they come after Harry? They're both protected, right? Are Dementors able to get past Dumbledore's protection?

In any case, I find the Dursley corner of the story endlessly fascinating. I can't wait to see how it resolves.....or fails to....
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 15:28   #29
Piper
TFH Graduate

Ok, my bad, the Dementors were sent by Umbridge, not Voldermort. The Bond of Blood would only protect from Voldermort I am thinking. I had forgotten about Umbridge sending the dementors though.

Also, JKR has said that Godric's Hollow is a village, that the Potters were hiding in a cottage there, and that with Peter as the secret keeper, even if Voldemort had known they were in the villiage, had Wormtail not told him the secret address, Voldemort could have looked in the window of their sitting room and not have found the Potters. But I take it that they had only been there since the Fidelus charm was cast, and Wormtail was made secret keeper though.

Anyway Petunia was clearly not as surprised as she pretended to have been when Harry showed up on her doorstep. There was definately prior contact with Petunia and Dumbledore, and there was a letter explaining fully to Petunia just exactly what kind of protection that taking Harry in would insure and from whom.

A letter that according to JKR, Dumbledore delivered to her doorstep, addressed only to her, when Harry was a year old, BEFORE Harry and the letter to her and Vernon together showed up in the basket on the doorstep.

And I might be wrong, maybe Dumbledore did not take Petunia to the cottage in Godric's Hollow, maybe he turned back the time and removed Harry, after Lily died, before the curse was thrown, to take him to Petunia, then returned him back to the crib in time for the Curse to be thrown. That could have worked right?

I just thought it might have explained Petunia's horror at hearing Voldermort spoken of, if she had witnessed him in action that night.

Either way, I still think the AK Curse would not have rebounded without Petunia having some how accepted Harry between the time that Lily died, and the time that the Curse was cast. And I think this prior letters business goes toward proving that
Old 05-03-2007, 07:00   #30
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I really have to dissagree with you on that Piper. The initial curse cast by Voldemort rebounded on him purely because of Lily's sacrifice. She died trying to save him, and so it saved him without any further intervention. The charm that continued to protect Harry while at the Dursley's however was something that DD did in the 24 hours between Lily's death and Harry's arrival at the door step. I do believe that during those 24 hours that DD did indeed have contact with Petunia, whether by letters or physicaly being there I'm not certain, and not sure that it's important.

It is quite obvious that Petunia did have prior knowledge of Voldemort, and most likely it was given her by DD in explaining why Harry needed to be there and have the protection DD was going to place on him . . . and I believe the protection was on the entire home and not just Harry . . . would put money on the Dementors not being able to enter #4 to attack Harry . . . Petunia knew that Voldemort was a danger to her because he would want Harry, that much is clear in her reaction, she was not afraid that the safety of the world was at risk, but afraid for herself and her family. Otherwise why would she care if an evil wizard was on the loose again!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote