Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 10:19   #11
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Magic Late in Life

I tend also to believe that it will be Petunia. She is definitely the one I want to see it happen to. Also, JKR did say that Petunia is not a Squib, but that was good thinking. We know she can't be a Squib because she is supposedly Muggle-born.

My thinking is also this - what if Dudley is not just a name picked out of thin air, but rather seen as a match with the word "squib" - a squib is a firecracker that does not light or does not work properly. ALSO KNOWN AS A DUD!!! So, if a squib is someone born to magical parents who cannot do magic, what if Petunia is in fact a witch, making Dudley born of at least one magical parent and, with no magical ability whatsoever in him, he is referred to as a Dud . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:23   #12
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Wow - you are spot on there Boing! Good one!

So do we think then that Dudley is aware of this link, and perhaps the jealousy Petunia once felt for her sister because of her abilities, Dudders now feels for his cousin, Harry?

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:21   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Once again JKR's comments spawn all manner of questions!
We know that she isnt of immediate magical blood because both her and Lily were Muggleborn - we also know she isnt a squib as JKR has now confirmed that ...
But JKR does allow the imagination race as to what she could be - because she doesnt just come out and say Petunia isnt magical in any way ...

Boing like the link but Dudders doing magic - *shudder*
I also have to go with a post someone made earlier with JKR's comments 'someone later in life' which suggests someone a little older ...
The usual suspects are Mrs Figg (I know she is a squib!) Filch (Same deal) Petunia and some even go as far as to say Vernon, has to be an outsider but that is the most amusing in my world!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:29   #14
Boing
Pops in randomly

Blaise, to clarify, I meant that Dudley is a "dud" as in, will never do magic, even though he is born to someone magical - born to Petunia. I was furthering my evidence for the person later in life to be Petunia. I believe she is magical even though she does not show it, so Dudley would have been born to a witch, but doesn't show any magical ability and is therefore a "dud." Just liked the idea that it was a play on words - did not in any way mean that Dudley would do magic - I think that's completely out of the question!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 11-10-2004, 16:57   #15
PrettyMS.Potter
TFH Graduate

I wanted to point this out to everyone:

What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors in book five?
JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out!

It is said anyone with magical power or back ground can see the dementor. Harry's neighbor for example. What if Dudley can see them? that means either him or petunia have some magic in them.

~~"Don't be so humble, you're not that great."~~

~~ The Dark Lord will Live ~~There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it...
PrettyMS.Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 13:05   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

OK, now that is one great post!
Umm - well with Figgy we know she is linked into the magical world but Dudley - this just has to fuel the debate about Petunia and her 'supressed' magical abilities!
It isnt unheard of, and perhaps why JKR did it, to have 2 people from a Muggle background be magical - well seem Petunia might be the dark horse afterall!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 12-10-2004, 14:27   #17
Boing
Pops in randomly

Well, we don't know that Dudley actually saw the Dementors, though. All we know is that he felt their effects, which we know is possible for Muggles.

What JKR was saying there was that we'll find out what Dudley's worst memories are - and perhaps they have something to do with Petunia's magic and Voldemort???

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 12-10-2004, 15:49   #18
Tonks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
Well, we don't know that Dudley actually saw the Dementors, though. All we know is that he felt their effects, which we know is possible for Muggles.

What JKR was saying there was that we'll find out what Dudley's worst memories are - and perhaps they have something to do with Petunia's magic and Voldemort???
Yeah, that's what I had thought as well. Muggles can feel the air go all cold and feel "as though they will never be happy again", but they can't actually see the dementors. That's almost obvious in OotP because Harry yells for his cousin to stop because he's going right at it.

This should interest those of you who are thinking about Dud.
Quote:
JKR Edinburgh Book Festival Q&A
Is there more to Dudley than meets the eye?

No. [Laughter]. What you see is what you get. I am happy to say that he is definitely a character without much back story. He is just Dudley. The next book, Half Blood Prince, is the least that you see of the Dursleys. You see them quite briefly. You see them a bit more in the final book, but you don’t get a lot of Dudley in book six—very few lines. I am sorry if there are Dudley fans out there, but I think you need to look at your priorities if it is Dudley that you are looking forward to. [Laughter].

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 11:59   #19
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Back at ya babes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR World Book day chat
Amy: What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors in book five?
JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out!
Notice the question said what did Dudley see?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 14-10-2004, 04:24   #20
Boing
Pops in randomly

Okay, see I am taking that question - What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors as

What did Dudley see in his mind as his worst memory when he was faced with the Dementors,

NOT

What did Dudley see when he looked at a Dementor

So, I think it's still a logical reaction to say that he couldn't see them, especially as he was running right at them (thanks to earlier poster for that bit of information!).

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!