Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-2004, 12:51   #21
Tonks
Unspeakable

Re: Magic Late in Life

Back at YOU Bla.
Quote:
OotP: Ch. 1 - Dudley Demented
Dudley's terrified voice broke in Harry's ear.
"W-what are you d-doing? St-stop it!"
"I'm not doing anything! Shut up and don't move!"
"I c-can't see! I've g-gone blind! I- "
"I said shut up!"
Harry stood stock-still, turning his sighless eyes left and right. The cold was so intense that he was shivering all over; goose bumps had erupted up his arms, and the hairs on the back of his neck were standing up - he opened his eyes to their fullest extent, staring blankly around, unseeing ...
It was impossible ... They couldn't be here ... Not in Little Whinging ... He strained his ears ... He would hear them before he saw them ...
"I'll t-tell Dad!" Dudley whimpered. "W-where are you? What are you d-do - ?"
So based on that, I agree with Boing on the interpretation of the question. I see that as a question asking what Dudley sees in his mind, because apparently he can't see with his eyes.

Anyway, that should be interesting to find out what Dudley's worst memory is, but I still don't think he will have magical powers. Also, "late in life" doesn't exactly seem like it fits Dudley; he seems too young for that.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 11:00   #22
Alz
Head Unspeakable

We could too and fro this one, I would say he was seeing them up to a point but I actually agree it isnt him, so no real point in context of the topic
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2004, 19:25   #23
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I agree that the person that will do magic late in life is not Dudley, but I don't like the idea that it will be Petunia either. I just think that it is too obvious... Also, other than the "unintentional" magic that Harry was able to do (i.e. make glass vanish, putting himself atop the roof at school, make his hair grow overnight, blowing up his aunt), which helped him get himself out of harms way, but wouldn't help in trying to save her family in any way, Petunia wouldn't be able to do any magic, as she would not know any spells. I think it is more likely that one of the squibs that at least have a general knowledge of magic will do magic, I just am not sure I am interested in either of the 2 squibs that we know being able to do magic all of a sudden...
Old 11-11-2004, 11:38   #24
Jenelle
Supreme Mugwump

I'm just taking a guess but I think that based a lot on the 5th book that Neville is the one that will be able to do magic later in life...i donno its just a feeling...i dont think that she means that they cant do magic at all but that they arent very good at it, maybe. She has also said that Neville will play an important roll in the remander of the books(see my post on spinners end) this is also pointing me in this direction. I also think that if its not Neville then it should be Petuina also because of the 5th book.
OotP movie comes out.
AND
Deathly Hallows is released.
I cant wait!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 17:10   #25
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

I get it--you mean better magic
Yes neville is better these days and one of my favorite scenes in Book 5 was the showdown between the death eaters and our gang
But I think she was hinting towards magic as in the first time--like a squib or a muggle performing it
Petunia is everyone's pick these days for muggle so I would have to agree with the latter

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 18:30   #26
Jenelle
Supreme Mugwump

Yeah I cant wait to see what the DA is going to do now that they have been in one battle with the dark side, will it make them more scared or confident?!
OotP movie comes out.
AND
Deathly Hallows is released.
I cant wait!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 19:19   #27
mimbulus mimbletonia
Mature Graduates

I also thought of Neville. Perhaps the horror of what happened to his parents had scarred Neville so much he had blocked some of his powers. His meeting with Bellatrix Lestrange may be the turning point for him. He certainly improved immensely at the DA classes - was that after seeing the paper with news of the Azkaban escape? Maybe the sweet wrappers his mother keeps giving him are significant (charmed to prevent him from becoming a powerful wizard, which in turn would make him more of a target to the DEs?)
Old 04-01-2005, 19:39   #28
Boing
Pops in randomly

Hmm, I had never thought of the question that way. I still prefer to think of it as performing magic late in life for the first time - like someone we are surprised to see.

I think Neville has always been able to do magic and that it's not much of a surprise. JKR tends to be fairly up front with her clues and hints, so I don't think she'd tell us that someone will perform magic late in life and then have it be someone who's been performing magic all along.

I had also taken it to mean later in life, like past school. But, for a person in the magical world, I can see how late in life could mean adolescence . . .

Still, I'm rooting for Petunia!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 13:11   #29
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Talking Re: Magic Late in Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimbulus mimbletonia
I also thought of Neville. Perhaps the horror of what happened to his parents had scarred Neville so much he had blocked some of his powers. His meeting with Bellatrix Lestrange may be the turning point for him. He certainly improved immensely at the DA classes - was that after seeing the paper with news of the Azkaban escape? Maybe the sweet wrappers his mother keeps giving him are significant (charmed to prevent him from becoming a powerful wizard, which in turn would make him more of a target to the DEs?)
Wow - never looked at it that way - nice
Thing is I am with Boing - Neville can do magic - not exactly too well - but hey can do it ...
I was thinking JKR reffered to someone like Filch or Mrs Figg - at her word someone we have never seen do magic and also look most unlikely to ever perform it ...

I like Petunia as well - I dont know - JKR is building her up now - OoTP and then her comments on her website ... I think she has to be fav ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 13:59   #30
Nagini
Time Turners

Yeah I agree that Neville can already do magic and is a wizard. Also the later in life part suggested to me that it was someone older. Although it is a nice idea about the sweet wrappers!

On the note of who it could be that performs magic, although Petunia is my favourite I am thinking that it might be Arabella Figg. She seems to even know the terms of magic or the name of the spells at any rate. She said she couldn't even transfigure a tea bag which suggests to me that she is trying or has tried to do magic. Perhaps Dumbledore will perform a spell that enables her to perform basic magic so she can alert him if something happens to Harry?