Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Old 01-04-2005, 23:33   #1
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

A Few Things I have been pondering

I wasn't sure where to put these few questions I have had since re-reading OotP... (I put them in my own thread but thought I would try again here)

Like, nobody knows what a Boggart looks like, because it takes on the form of what they most fear...well, wouldn't Mad Eye Moody know what it looks like because of his magical eye?

Also (I am thinking now because I forgot) AH!! Do you think that Harry excels in his O.W.Ls and therefore gets some kind of commendation (the rumour that he faces the court again or something).

Hmmm...what else have I thought of since reading the book...Oh! Can anyone tell me how old Voldemort is? He'd have to be about 70 years old wouldn't he? That would make Hagrid about 70 as well, because they were at school together. So, do giants age differently, because a normal 70 year old couldn't handle Grawp...

Of course, if I just remember that this is fiction and not reality...

Has anyone found the clues in the chamber of secrets to what will be in the next book? And has anyone else noticed that we have not been given any insight into Professor Snape's background. There is something to it, I just know it, otherwise we wouldn't have had the teasers in the pensieve.

I had more questions, but they escape me...Except this one...I didn't think that anyone was told about Harry and Hermione's time travel, yet in OoP, Fudge refers to it at the hearing. Wouldn't they (Hermione, Harry and Dumbledore) have gotten into serious trouble for meddling with time to release a prisoner?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:37   #2
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: A Few Things I have been pondering

Like, nobody knows what a Boggart looks like, because it takes on the form of what they most fear...well, wouldn't Mad Eye Moody know what it looks like because of his magical eye?

I think as long as you have a fear - you will never see a true boggart - because no matter who it is seen through it will always be seeing your fears.
While Moody's eye is magical - I still think there is a possiblity all he will see through it will be his fears - but it is an interesting point and I see where you are coming from

Also (I am thinking now because I forgot) AH!! Do you think that Harry excels in his O.W.Ls and therefore gets some kind of commendation (the rumour that he faces the court again or something).

By all rights Harry shouldnt - but this is a young aimed series of books so no doubts he will scrape what he needs to do what he wants - to be an auror.
The court thing I think was dismissed by JKR on her site?

Hmmm...what else have I thought of since reading the book...Oh! Can anyone tell me how old Voldemort is? He'd have to be about 70 years old wouldn't he? That would make Hagrid about 70 as well, because they were at school together. So, do giants age differently, because a normal 70 year old couldn't handle Grawp...

Yep - you are in the zone - around 70 I think it right.
Dumbledore is a sprightly 150-160 I think - wizards live longer than the conventional - also confirmed by JKR.
I think Giants might age differently - but not the same as wizards - I think they age a little more like a muggle - Hagrid does look a little old - not sure 70 mind you!

Of course, if I just remember that this is fiction and not reality...

Has anyone found the clues in the chamber of secrets to what will be in the next book? And has anyone else noticed that we have not been given any insight into Professor Snape's background. There is something to it, I just know it, otherwise we wouldn't have had the teasers in the pensieve.

This is an overall septology answer - it is hidden in his action and motivations - thing is JKR has done such a great job of masking them - on this site we have like 30 or more threads just on Snape - I suggest make use of the search facility on the site and go find some of them - might get you thinking and then you can post a reply or two to them.

Chamber of Secrets - Once again that is a hard one because we never really got to see much inside there- and it was more the symbolism of the Chamber that was explored - once again we have threads on this in the site - might wanna search and see what others have said

I had more questions, but they escape me...Except this one...I didn't think that anyone was told about Harry and Hermione's time travel, yet in OoP, Fudge refers to it at the hearing. Wouldn't they (Hermione, Harry and Dumbledore) have gotten into serious trouble for meddling with time to release a prisoner?

Well - here is the fun of time travel I suppose ...
Because they changed time - no-one knew really what happened before apart from Harry and Hermione - but it is an eternal circle because they should have known it because they changed it ... little hard to get head around I suppose.
Overall - proving that they changed time to release Black would be impossible to prove unless there is a way of seeing multiple timelines - altered and unaltered - and well that it getting far too complex

Nice questions hun - I tried my best - lets see what others think
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:43   #3
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

See! I knew SOMEONE could shed some sanity on my thoughts! I will check out some snape threads too.

Oh and I remembered what I was thinking, re Harry in court...it was actually that he leaves the Dursley's earlier than usual, not going to court. I got a little bit mixed up

And you are right...it is best not to think about time travel unless you can think in fourth dimensional ways...or something like that! But you know what, Dumbledore knew what they had done. He knew all along that he would ask them to do it. I am fascinated by his depth of knowledge and I am sure he watches Harry closer than we know.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:57   #4
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise

I think as long as you have a fear - you will never see a true boggart - because no matter who it is seen through it will always be seeing your fears.
While Moody's eye is magical - I still think there is a possiblity all he will see through it will be his fears - but it is an interesting point and I see where you are coming from

OH Blaise, my friend, you dissapoint me! Moody could see the boggart...But the boggart couldn't see HIM the boggart would have had no way to know that Moody was looking, so wouldn't even know to change forms. So my vote is yes, that Moody (or anyone else with such an eye) should know what a boggart looks like.

OWL's

I agree with Blaise here, Harry will get what he needs, perhaps barely, but fairly. We know that Harry isn't as bad at potions that Snape makes him out to be, how many times does he get a failing grade because Snape causes "accidents" to prevent Harry from turning in his finished potion, that Snape likely knew to be perfect?

Time travel...

I think DD indeed knew what happened in both time lines (don't ask me how... it's MAGIC after all ) and in most fiction, although it isn't logical, it usualy stands that those who did the changing (and ofteh those whose events were changed) remain aware of both time lines (see Stephen King's "The Wastelands" where it causes the two involved to feel they are going mad because they remember two different lives) well, time travel in any instance twists the brain, so that's enough for me

Good questions thouth Kashlie!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:06   #5
Boing
Pops in randomly

Hmm, about Voldemort's age . . . he was 16?? when he made the diary? And that was in 1945, I believe, right? So that woud make him 66 in 1995. I'm not sure of the exact years the books are following, but he is right in that ballpark there of just under 70 . . .

I know that JKR has answered this question somewhere - I'll try to find the exact answer . . . it was in a chat when she said how old Dumbledore was. She just added in how old Voldemort was, too.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:28   #6
Tonks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
Hmm, about Voldemort's age . . . he was 16?? when he made the diary? And that was in 1945, I believe, right? So that woud make him 66 in 1995. I'm not sure of the exact years the books are following, but he is right in that ballpark there of just under 70 . . .

I know that JKR has answered this question somewhere - I'll try to find the exact answer . . . it was in a chat when she said how old Dumbledore was. She just added in how old Voldemort was, too.
I think she said how old McGonagall was:
Quote:
Q: How old is old in the wizarding world, and how old are Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall?
A: Dumbledore is a hundred and fifty, and Professor McGonagall is a sprightly seventy. Wizards have a much longer life expectancy than Muggles. (Harry hasn't found out about that yet.)
But i do agree with Boing about Voldemort being just under 70 - I think i've seen that somewhere before too.. so he'd be somewhere around McGonagall's age?

Also, I think that yeah Giants probably do age differently, but since Hagrid is only half-Giant, not to mention magical, he ages more like a wizard or a combination of such..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:51   #7
Boing
Pops in randomly

Now that is interesting, because that means that Voldemort and McGonagall went to school at the same time!!! So, she might know more about his school-age self (and Hagrid as well).

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 03-04-2005, 06:43   #8
Hermione
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
Hmm, about Voldemort's age . . . he was 16?? when he made the diary? And that was in 1945, I believe, right?
Where does it say it was in 1945? The only thing I know to have happened in 1945 was the deafeating of Grindelwald.

If Tom Riddle and Minerva went to school at the same time, this could lead to some interesting plot thickening.
Old 03-04-2005, 21:09   #9
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Going by the Timeline on the Lexicon, The Chamber was opened in 1943, not 1945. You could also look on the CoS DVD, which has a timeline, I'm not sure if it has the year that the Chamber was opened, but I know that it is very similar to the Lexicon's...

On the Official Timeline on the CoS DVD, it says that McGonagal was born in 1925. So, if she started school in 1936, she would have been in her 2nd year when Tom Riddle started at Hogwarts. This is of course, going by the information that the Chamber was opened the first time in 1943, Riddles' fifth year, which would have been McGonagal's 7th year.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:29   #10
Boing
Pops in randomly

LOL - Wheezy, I was going by another of your posts when I said 1945. I think it is in the "How Did Voldemort Know About the Chamber in His First Year" . . . I hadn't ever noticed the connection between the Chamber being opened and Grindelwald being defeated, but you had made the connection that they were both in 1945 . . . We'll go by the newest information you found, though, which still places Minerva at school with Tom . . . interesting.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!