Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Old 06-04-2005, 21:15   #1
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Arabella Figg

It seems Mrs Figg hasn't got a thread all her own, so here it is.

Firstly I would like to say that Mrs Figg is wonderful.
She lied to the full court for Harry! In OotP when she is asked if Squibs can see dementors, she answers indignantly, Yes we can!
HOWEVER on JKR's own site, she clearly states 'Arabella Figg never saw the dementors that attacked Harry and Dudley, but she had enough magical knowledge to identify the sensations they created in the alleyway'

Now either JKR has just contradicted herself, or there is something more to it. Yes, she could have said it just to protect Harry, but did Dumbledore have to make sure she said she could see them, or did she just have enough sense to say it?
Why would she say it indignantly? Why would she answer angrily to a simple question?
I was going to suggest that this lends creedence to the 'magic late in life' story line for Figg, but for JKR to say she didn't really see them, then wouldn't this take her out of the running?

Any other thoughts on the importance of Arabella Figg?
Old 07-04-2005, 13:43   #2
Hermione
Auror

Re: Arabella Figg

Don't muggles sense dementors as well but not know what they are? This could be the same with Mrs. Figg, she can sense it, but she doesn't know what it looks like or anything else other than the way it makes her feel.

I thought Mrs. Figg was lying during the trial. She seemed shifty and like she was lying. But she preformed well, Harry got off the hook.
Old 07-04-2005, 14:58   #3
yarvelling
TFH Graduate

I must admit that I always thought Mrs Figg had seen the Dementors...the way she reacted towards Harry and Dudley in the alley seemed to be the response of someone who'd seen, and knew, just what it was that had attacked the boys..
Also, as a squib, could Filch see the Dementors? I don't recall if it's ever mentioned in POA...
Being a squib, it's not been made too clear about their limitations...we know that they cannot PERFORM magic, but that doesn't necessarily mean to say that they cannot SEE magic and magical creatures (such as Dementors).
JKR may have said things to the contrary in an interview, but in the books, she leads us to believe otherwise...so far.....
Old 07-04-2005, 20:30   #4
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

She is very important, as she is mentioned in almost, if not every book. At the beginning, she is just the old lady with a load of cats, but, in OotP, we see her play a vastly important role, as the one who keeps watch over Harry. Are we going to see more of her in the summer? Or has she had her time on stage? I wonder...
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:44   #5
Boing
Pops in randomly

I don't think JKR has contradicted herself. I think that Mrs. Figg lied to get Harry off in the trial because she knew he hadn't done anything wrong. As for the indignation, that probably stemmed from a little bit of acting and a lot of actual hurt for the way she feels in the wizarding community. I mean, my goodness, how do you think that feels to a squib to know what everyone else around them can do and they are just stuck with no powers whatsoever . . . So, she probably was angry that they would suggest that she couldn't see them and she wanted to make squibs seem more like regular wizards (or at least not acknowledge that they couldn't even see dementors).

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:10   #6
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I can sometimes become long-winded when it comes to Harry, so let me know if I become annoying

I think there are many unusual things about Mrs. Figg. Throughout the books we see her through Harry's eyes as the "batty old cat loving lady", because that's how he sees her. Of course, in OotP, we find out she's a squib, she knows Dumbeldore, and she knows what Dementors are. Here are a few things I've noted about her the many times I've read the books that might raise a few more questions.

She is a squib, but who is she related to? Possibly, Dumbledore?

According to JKRs website, Mrs. Figg breeds cats with kneazles. Hermione's cat, Crookshanks, is part cat part kneazle. Is Crookshanks one of Mrs. Figg's cats, and as we know, Dumbledore has gone to great lengths to watch out for, and to plan Harry's future - did Dumbledore plan for Hermione to have Crookshanks? The cat was a big help to Harry in PoA.

Mrs. Figg has been watching Harry, to our knowledge, since Dumbledore placed Harry at the Dursley's - why? She is a squib, so how could she possibly protect Harry, as in the Dementor attack, since she has no magical powers? What was the point of Dumbledore placing Mrs. Figg in Little Whinging?

Ok - I'll stop now
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:57   #7
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I can sometimes become long-winded when it comes to Harry, so let me know if I become annoying
Hi Fortescue, and welcome! I like your first post and didn't find it long-winded at all

Quote:
[...] Mrs. Figg has been watching Harry, to our knowledge, since Dumbledore placed Harry at the Dursley's - why? She is a squib, so how could she possibly protect Harry, as in the Dementor attack, since she has no magical powers? What was the point of Dumbledore placing Mrs. Figg in Little Whinging?
I *think* Dumbledore knows Mrs Figg and trusts her, and he used her, and not a real wizard, to watch over Harry to make sure it wouldn't become common knowledge in the wizard community that Harry was being guarded. He knew that not all wizards could be trusted, and he probably equipped Mrs Figg with some extra-efficient means of communication to get Dumbledore's help in a case of extreme emergency (something worse than the odd couple of Dementors ).

It seems to have worked quite well - nobody, not even the Minister, knew of Harry's little guardian angel.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:54   #8
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cadogan

I *think* Dumbledore knows Mrs Figg and trusts her, and he used her, and not a real wizard, to watch over Harry to make sure it wouldn't become common knowledge in the wizard community that Harry was being guarded. He knew that not all wizards could be trusted, and he probably equipped Mrs Figg with some extra-efficient means of communication to get Dumbledore's help in a case of extreme emergency (something worse than the odd couple of Dementors ).

It seems to have worked quite well - nobody, not even the Minister, knew of Harry's little guardian angel.
That is true - Fudge and Madam Bones were surprised to find out that she lived in Little Whinging. (I loved the way it threw Fudge for a loop)

I was surprised to find out that Mrs. Figg lied to the court about seeing the Dementors. I'm sure it was to protect Harry, but I'd assume that Dumbledore told her to, which is surprising - I find Dumbledore to be the most honest character in the story - but then, Dumbledore was only protecting Harry, and we all know how much he cares for him. Also, Dumbledore told Harry in SS that he would answer his questions if he could, but he would not lie. I'm guessing he didn't tell Fudge the same line

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashlie
Firstly I would like to say that Mrs Figg is wonderful.
She lied to the full court for Harry! In OotP when she is asked if Squibs can see dementors, she answers indignantly, Yes we can!
HOWEVER on JKR's own site, she clearly states 'Arabella Figg never saw the dementors that attacked Harry and Dudley, but she had enough magical knowledge to identify the sensations they created in the alleyway'
I agree Mrs. Figg is a wonderful character. Even though she doesn't have any magical power, she still seems completely loyal to Dumbledore, unlike Filch, who seemed to be more loyal to Umbridge.
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 14:23   #9
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well ok - lets look at this a bit more.
Dudley is a muggle yet he was affected by the Dementors who were attacking Harry - so you can see JKR's point - just because you cant see them etc they can still effect you in some way.
I think Figg couldnt see them - but she could feel them - she knows enough about the magical world and she made the logical link.
By saying she could become magical is like saying Dudley also is displaying magical ability - i think it was a strange feeling - like Dudley thought it was Harry doing something - but we saw in fact he couldnt see the Dementors - he just felt something not right.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 00:27   #10
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

I have been thinking about dear old Mrs Figg, the squib. Two things have struck me... the 'Mrs' denotes that at some point she was married, which in turn, leads to the possibility that she has children. The fact that she is a squib means there is magic in her bloodline, which means any children of hers could be witches and wizards. It also means that something happened to her husband, who could, considering Arabella was brought up amongst wizards, be a wizard himself.