Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Old 19-06-2005, 13:25   #11
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Arabella Figg

Looking on JKR's website, she also states that Arabella Figg is Dumbledore's liaison to the Muggle world, so it certainly does sound as though he knows her quite well and has put a lot of trust in her.

As for her not being able to protect Harry, I do think that she was probably there to keep an eye on him and to let Dumbledore know in case anything suspicious happened. As such, she probably has some means of contacting him directly. We know that even though Squibs can't perform magic, they can still use magical objects. So, perhaps she has one of those two-way mirrors or something else she uses to communicate with Dumbledore instantly.

I was also thinking that it probably wasn't a coincidence that Harry ended up getting stuck at Mrs. Figg's house anytime the Dursleys went somewhere without him. It is quite possible that Dumbledore told Petunia to make sure that Harry stayed there if they ever left him so that he could be sure Harry was safe and with someone who could contact him if needed . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 14:09   #12
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashlie
The fact that she is a squib means there is magic in her bloodline, which means any children of hers could be witches and wizards. It also means that something happened to her husband, who could, considering Arabella was brought up amongst wizards, be a wizard himself.
It's possible that Mrs. Figg's Mr. Figg was an Order member who died. She obviously doesn't have a husband anymore, and since she would have been brought up in a wizarding home, probably with parents and siblings who could do magic, she has a complete knowledge of how magic works. She would be an ideal person to watch Harry, even without any magical talent herself. As Sir C mentioned before, since she isn't a witch and can go under the Ministry's radar, having her watch over Harry could definitely be kept under wraps, and Dumbledore would have to give her a magical way to communicate since owls take too long, and there are no phones at Hogwarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boingy
I was also thinking that it probably wasn't a coincidence that Harry ended up getting stuck at Mrs. Figg's house anytime the Dursleys went somewhere without him. It is quite possible that Dumbledore told Petunia to make sure that Harry stayed there if they ever left him so that he could be sure Harry was safe and with someone who could contact him if needed . . .
Mrs. Figg told Harry at the beginning of OotP that one of the reason that Mrs. Figg was ordered by Dumbledore to not tell Harry she was in Little Whinging to keep an eye on him was because if the Dursley's found out that Mrs. Figg was connected to the magical world they wouldn't allow Harry near her as he might enjoy it too much. Of course, the Dursley's would never allow Harry to enjoy himself. They like keeping him disconnected from the magical world as much as possible during his summers, so I don't think Petunia knew Mrs. Figg's true purpose or background.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 18:00   #13
Boing
Pops in randomly

I'm properly ashamed and put in my place.

As for a Mr. Figg, I guess it's possible. I know that sometimes just older women are called Mrs. . . . in her case I had always assumed she was just the crazy old spinster - stereotype of all the cats, I guess. But yeah, there could be any number of possibilities for who her husband might have been if there was one . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 06:58   #14
Tonks
Unspeakable

You do have to wonder how she coincidentally became the one who would watch Harry on all of Dudley's birthdays though.. I guess I've sort of always just assumed that the Dursleys had left Harry at Mrs. Figg's because she was the only one around who would take him for an afternoon, as he didn't have any friends and the other people on the street were probably busy with their own lives.. why not stick him with the old lady with the cats? .. That seems almost too coincidental and convenient for Figgy if she is already trying to keep an eye on him. However, there's probably nothing all that interesting as to the answer to this; I just found it a little curious..

I do think that there could have been a Mr. Figg, and that he could have had a connection to the wizarding world. However, since she is living in the in the Muggle world, I find it just as likely that he was a Muggle. If she is a Squib, she would have learned all she needed to know about the magical world growing up around it, but I think maybe she could have wanted to get away from it all once she became an adult.. and marrying a Muggle would be an easy way out..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 13:26   #15
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

We know how JKR has pointed out several times how nosy Petunia is of the neighbors and how she's always watching everyone. We also know that Harry has noted on several occasions Mrs. Figg walking by the Dursley's house. I'd assume that Mrs. Figg sort of took advantage of Petunia's curiosity and at some point introduced herself. Petunia would jump on the chance to have someone in the neighborhood to leave Harry with that she wouldn't think would make any of the Dursley's look bad in any way. I don't think Petunia would leave Harry with any of their close neighbors, but if I remember correctly, Mrs. Figg lives two streets over, which would be enough distance for Petunia's hang-up about worrying what the neighbors think.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 15:43   #16
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

I was going to start a new thread regarding Harryís surprise at discovering Mrs. Figgís true identity, in OotP but found this thread on the good lady herself.

At the end of Goblet of Fire Dumbledore sends Sirius to alert former members of the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoF
Very slowly - but still glaring at each other as though each wished the other nothing but ill - Sirius and Snape moved toward each other and shook hands. They let go extremely quickly.
"That will do to be going on with," said Dumbledore, stepping between them once more. "Now I have work for each of you. Fudge's attitude, though not unexpected, changes everything. Sirius, I need you to set off at once. You are to alert Remus Lupin, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher - the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin's for a while; I will contact you there."
But in OotP Harry is surprised to find that Mrs. Figg is associated with the magical world and knows Dumbledore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotP
'But -' The revelation that his batty old cat-obsessed neighbour knew what Dementors were was almost as big a shock to Harry as meeting two of them down the alleyway. 'You're - you're a witch?'
'I'm a Squib, as Mundungus knows full well, so how on earth was I supposed to help you fight off Dementors? He left you completely without cover when I'd warned him -'
Any suggestions?
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 15:23   #17
Alz
Head Unspeakable

My best guess - notice Dumbledore says specifically Arabella Figg - Harry has always called Mrs Figg - well Mrs Figg ...
Perhaps he didnt make the connection based on not knowing her first name?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote