Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Old 04-06-2005, 15:57   #21
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: Secret Passages?

Thanks for the quote Tonks So obviously, some or all of the tunnels could have been created magically by Dumbledore or another prior head depending on what the need was at the time. It makes me wonder - if my theory is correct in regards to a tunnel going to the Hog's Head, if that might be one that Dumbledore might have made as a secretive way in and out of the castle for Order members and possibly himself during the prior war. Aberforth was in the order at the time - it could have been a way for him to visit Dumbledore too and keep the fact that he was going into the castle, and the fact that they are brothers, a secret from the students.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 20:19   #22
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

we know that filch knows about four of the secret passages right? and there are four houses in Hogwarts, and we know all the passages lead to Hogsmeade. ok, there have most likely been previous wars, so the four secret tunnels that Filch knows about are probably escape routes for the students, and are probably located near the different common rooms or at strategic locations for getaways for the students should the school ever come under attack. of course, the students wouldnt be told about these tunnels until it is absolutely necessary, but the teachers probably know about them if Filch does. so, the teachers would evacuate the students in the case that they needed to get away from the castle if it was being stormed. now the other passages were probably made by either students who didnt know that there were already tunnels or by teachers or headmasters who needed them for whatever reason. the passage behing the mirror is describe as being large, and sirius suggests it as a place to teach a group of like 20-40 wizards how to duel, so it is very spacious indeed! so i wouldnt be surprised if this tunnel was also at one time used as an evacuation route for large numbers of people. since harry has only ever used two, who knows if he will ever use any others! especially if he doesnt need to. he hasnt so far shown himself to be the kind of person who explores locals unless he has too. just thought i would add my two sense. done now.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 23:01   #23
keeron_man_boy
Accio Deathly Hallows!!

just a thought

the secret passage that harry first uses in PoA with the witch statue.. he used his wand to open it right?

assuming that some or most need a wand to open it, how does filch travel the passages if he is a squib???
hmmm
Old 03-11-2006, 01:12   #24
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I would think that if Snape knew about the tunnel, he would have given Harry a harder time about getting caught in Hogsmeade. He knew Malfoy spotted Harry and that Harry didn't leave the school in the normal way. He spotted Harry and Neville near the statue, and he went back to that spot when he found out that Harry had been spotted out of the school. I think if he knew about that tunnel then he would have questioned Harry about it directly. I think some of the tunnels in the school were a mystery to everyone accept the Marauders who conjured the map. Sort of like the Room of Requirements seemed to be a mystery to Dumbledore. He simply stumbled upon the room while sleepy and looking for a bathroom, but told Harry he couldn't remember where the room was.

I wonder why, if the Headmaster's office is on the second floor, what Dumbledore was doing on the seventh floor sleepily looking for a bathroom? Maybe it was just a clue to Harry in regards to the room that Harry would eventually need to find???

I'm sure that Dumbledore knew most of the tunnels, but I doubt that they were common knowledge to most. I'm sure because of James & Sirius' connection to the Order that those tunnels were made common knowledge to the Order of the Phoenix.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:18   #25
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

4 passages, 4 houses...i have to agree that a tunnel each for Slytherin, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.
Each tunnel leading to a specific place in Hogsmeade that the founders held dear?

Slytherin =

Hufflepuff = Zonkos (coz HP's are sweet)

Gryffindor =

Ravenclaw =

I also think this is the reason Filch knows of the four passages. The founders may have created one each, in agreement that if needed, the students could escape through a specific tunnel, so to confuse any attackers and make it faster... Dumbledore most likely told Filch, and headmasters before him told the caretakers before him.
i ALSO believe this is the reason that DD didn't use these tunnels as a means of leaving Hogwarts secretly. because they are known by at least one other.

and how odd that there are now 7 tunnels, lol, such a maigcal number!
the other three...well, one created by Dumbledore for Lupin.
so the other two...created by who, and for who?
the one behind the mirror i would assume led to open ground...it would explain a collapse, if the ground above it was disturbed.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:37   #26
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

I think that it is most likely that the passages lead to houses that belonged to staff members at some time in the past. It means that staff, and their families could easily get in and out of the school since they cannot apparate from the school premises.
If they did relate to either the houses or, more particularly, the founders it may give another possible location for founders relics.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:11   #27
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Just found the following,

Quote:
"In Sites of Historical Sorcery it says the inn was the
headquarters for the 1612 goblin rebellion,
Could be an explanation for one of the passages.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote