Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 12-04-2005, 08:37   #11
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

Re: Why Didn't Hagrid Tell Someone?

first of all, i agree with Meri, that they were needing a parselmouth but then the question asked by Boingy. if there was the delay, as said by Blaise, then why was that?
was it just to make the story or there was some reason for it?
if we again come to dd's plan, was it a part of it too?
was he checking the abilities of HP?
but i cannot support this theory, because i think it as a coincident for the trio to get the clues and then they worked it out.
so what???
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 10:29   #12
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

ok, i think dumbledore knew that the creature in the chamber was a basilisk, because i believe that hagrid would have told dumbledore about aragog when the attacks started again (if not sooner). i also believe dumbledore knew aragog was in the forbidden forest, and that dumbledore had talked with him (if hagrid knew the acromantula's would kill harry and ron, do u think he would have sent them to see aragog? i think he had already brought dumbledore, and since dumbledore was with hagrid, the acromantula's didnt attack, so i think hagrid assumed that if aragog knew that harry and ron were hagrid's friends, then they would be safe) i believe that dumbledore never said that the creature in the chamber was a basilisk because he didnt want the school to be shut down (could this be a part of his screaming in the cave in HBP?) and i also dont think dumbledore knew where the chambers entrance was because i am pretty sure he would have taken harry to the entrance to open up the chamber so that he (dumbledore) could go into the chamber and defeat the basilisk. (dumbledore knows that harry is a parselmouth). i also like to think of dumbledore being a Hermione-like character: very smart, creative and knowing many many many things.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 11:04   #13
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

An interesting thread this, I have not seen it before.
I think the first thing is that at the time of the death of Myrtle Dumbledore was not headmaster. It seemed that headmaster Dippet just wanted a solution to the problem whether to right person was caught or not. I do not think that Dumbledore ever thought that Hagrid was ever the responsible person. Dumbledore and Dippet don’t seem to have always been in agreement. There were certainly differences over Tom Riddle.
I do not think that Hagrid had ever taken Dumbledore to see Aragog because Aragog says "Hagrid has never sent men into our hollow before,"
Additionally Riddle says “It was my word against Hagrid's, Harry. Well, you can imagine how it looked to old Armando Dippet. On the one hand, Tom Riddle, poor but brilliant, parentless but so brave, school prefect, model student ...on the other hand, big, blundering Hagrid, in trouble every other week, trying to raise werewolf cubs under his bed, sneaking off to the Forbidden Forest to wrestle trolls.”
If Dippet would not believe Hagrid I doubt his case would have been improved by producing a talking spider as the chief witness for the defence.
What does interest me is that Binns, who would have been teaching at Hogwarts at the time of the the first opening of the Chamber, denies that there was any evidence of a Chamber of Secrets.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 12:41   #14
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

aragog says that hagrid has never SENT anyone to his lair, that doesnt mean that hagrid has never BROUGHT a person into his lair. though you do make a good argument that Dippit and Dumbledore did disagree on certain issues, like Tom Riddle for one.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 16:06   #15
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

I am sure that had Dumbledore known about Aragog he would have been able to get the information about the basilisk out of him by some means or other. He did get memories from house elves, talk to mer people, get Umbridge back from the Centaurs etc. afterall.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote