Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Old 27-06-2005, 11:43   #1
Hermione
Auror

The Riddle's House Pt. 2

I read the first post about the Riddle House, unfortunatly getting there after it was closed. Here is a bit of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
The three people that were killed in the Riddle house were Voldemort's dad, whose name is also Tom Riddle (he told Harry in CoS that he was named after his filthy Muggle father), and Voldemort's grandparents. So, the older people were the grandparents and the middle-aged son was the dad. The skinny boy was Tom Riddle, Jr. (later known as Voldemort). He never forgave his dad for abandoning his mom and went and killed the whole family that night.
I would like to challange this theory. What if it is really Tom Riddle and his grandparents that were in the house. JKR mentions a dark haired boy in glasses, possibly Harry Potter?

We have already seen time travel used in the septology, what if Harry were to go back and kill Voldemort before his rise to power? This would defeat him before he was even an enemy. Of couse, "bad things happen to wizards to meddle with time" what would the repurcussions of such action be?
Old 27-06-2005, 13:06   #2
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: The Riddle's House Pt. 2

The people who were killed are described as "elderly Mr. and Mrs. Riddle" and "their grown-up son, Tom." So, firstly, the attacks are said to have happened "half a century ago" according to GoF. Voldemort (I'm calling him that to avoid confusion with his dad) would have been about 18. So, he's not what I would call grown-up. Also, Voldemort's mom is dead, so for there to have been an "elderly Mrs. Riddle," Mr. Riddle would have been remarried . . . I guess it could happen, but I don't know. The third thing that makes me think it's not possible is that the grown-up son, Tom, was living with the Riddles. There's no way Voldemort would have been living with his parents, especially his dad!

Just my opinions based on that first chapter, but I really think it was just Voldemort coming after his dad.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 13:36   #3
Hermione
Auror

I still like my time travel idea, perhaps Voldmort did go back and kill his father but Harry ambushed him?

JKR said there was a dark haired boy...my mind always jumps to Harry. I just think there is more to this than we are seeing now.
Old 27-06-2005, 18:36   #4
Tonks
Unspeakable

For pure information here, just to enforce that Tom Riddle, Jr., has black hair too..
Quote:
Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 13: The Very Secret Diary
'A boy of about sixteen entered, taking off his pointed hat. A silver prefect's badge was glinting on his chest. He was much taller than Harry, but he, too, had jet-black hair.'
I really think that Tom Riddle (Voldemort) killed his dad and his dad's parents that night, but this is quite interesting speculation involving Harry. However, I'm still a bit reluctant to think that Harry is so capable of such murder.. I guess i just dont like the thought - that seems so much more like something Voldemort would do really..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 11:28   #5
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Have to admit - I was one of the people that didnt get this whole part when I first read it and I composed this lovely theory based on time and what was going on - only for someone to point out the Riddle Jnr and Snr thing - which as much as I hate it from a normal point of view - it still is the most fitting.

JKR has said on a number of occasions - including CoS 'Heir of Slytherin' how much Harry and Riddle/Voldemort look alike ... now we know that there is no decendency from Voldemor cause JKR said as much - but I wonder why she seems to like to point out the similarity?

.. and no, I am not adverse to thinking Harry going back in time to stop Voldemort - but I have this warped part in the back of my mind they are 2 of the same ... and no, I dont need 16 thousand posts now telling me how wrong I am ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 03:12   #6
kaz
Professor of Potterology

I think the reason she points out the similarities between Harry and Voldemort is because they are both great wizards from a young age with alot of potential- but are in completely different frame of mind. Kind of putting the same person to battle but on opposite sides.
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 04:40   #7
Boing
Pops in randomly

The similarities are more than just abilities, though. JKR indeed does make a point that Harry even looks like Voldemort in a couple ways. At the end of CoS, Tom Riddle says to him that they look a lot alike . . . I think that she draws the parallel for several reasons. One of which is as Kaz pointed out - they have a similar aptitude for magic, were both abandoned in certain ways as children, but they have chosen different paths up to this point (and we know a big part of the series is about choice).

Another reason could be more subtle, like Blaise is pointing out - there could be some sort of connection between them somehow - perhaps when some of Voldemort got transferred to Harry when Harry was a baby or something similar to that.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 12:33   #8
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz
I think the reason she points out the similarities between Harry and Voldemort is because they are both great wizards from a young age with alot of potential- but are in completely different frame of mind. Kind of putting the same person to battle but on opposite sides.
Very similar - but in essence divided maybe?
I reckon that would work well in a Harry Potter book

JKR makes the comparisions between the 2 but is always very clear their intention differ vastly - and I can respect and deal with that.
But the fact they look alike - share some life experiences etc - I am sure that isnt just an 'on the off chance' kind of situation - I think there is substance to the link JKR has tried to make ... one thing we know is that Harry isnt an offspring - or offspring of an offspring
Excites me how she could link them ... for some reason I am seeing the Riddle side of the family come into play here - isnt it strange to be called Riddle in a book full of mysteries

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 12-07-2005, 08:47   #9
Norbert
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Have to admit - I was one of the people that didnt get this whole part when I first read it ... and no, I am not adverse to thinking Harry going back in time to stop Voldemort - but I have this warped part in the back of my mind they are 2 of the same ... and no, I dont need 16 thousand posts now telling me how wrong I am ...
I have to agree with you mate. The first time I read it, I was sure that the teenage boy was Harry! Not until I had read the entire book and then gone back through that opening chapter (a couple of times) did I convince myself that the teenage boy was Tom Riddle Jr. and that the three victims were Tom Riddle Sr. and his parents...

And your theories regarding (what is it that you call it - Oroborus) the snake eating its own tail are not unwholely unfounded and without reason. I may not wholeheartedly agree with them but, reading them are extremely enjoyable, my friend! JKR has drawn more than several like comparisons between Tom Riddle Jr and Harry. They are connected via the Scar, through which Harry received many of Voldemorts abilities (parseltounge for instance), and now they are connected via blood - it almost makes them relative!!!

I am not sure about them being one and the same though. It makes more sense to me that they are equal opposites. Each 1/2 of a whole. Along the lines of the ying and the yang.

"That's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 13:15   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

See we know they cant be direct family - JKR said that Voldemort has no family - would also stop him being the last decendant ...
But - and this is what intrigues me, is that JKR spends so much time pointing towards how much alike they are ...
We know that they will always be divided in their choices - Voldemort for the seduction of power and death and Harry with good and helping people ... that is where you get the 'whole' from - they are almost like as you said a ying and yang - 2 parts of the same - but in essence divided

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536