Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 19-12-2004, 22:18   #11
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Re: Dumbledore's Watch

I really like this idea as well. I think that Dumbledore has come back from the future and has to do these things in order for his side to be victorious in the end. I really like the idea of the planets pertaining to future events and such, because I think it could be perhaps a link to the way that the Centuars tell the future, through watching the stars and the skies, and perhaps when the planets on the watch are in certain positions, or do certain things, is when Dumbledore has to act...
Old 20-12-2004, 13:45   #12
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Yah see that is what I thought was interesting was the planets part of it ...
We know that the students have to do astronomy - we know that the centaurs use the stars and planets ... we know that time and space matter in magic ... so there has to be some links to this watch of Dumbledore's ..
As much as I dont like the prospects of a device that can see into th future just based on my own thoughts ... I think this would have to be a candidate for it ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2004, 21:13   #13
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

OK, the way I see this is that it's not really a thing that can see the future because of itself. I am not sure how good Dumbledore is at mechanics, but I think it could be some kind of schedule... This watch has been mentioned at important times in the books: When Harry was being left at the Dursleys, and when he (Dumbledore) was going to tel Harry the prophecy. I wonder if Dumbledore didn't make the watch himself as a schedule of events to go, but that could seem inconspicuous as just one of Dumbledore's odd trinkets. I think that if Dumbledore were from the future, and had gone back in time to change things, this would be a good way to have his itinerary around at all times, as a reminder kind of....
Old 27-12-2004, 13:06   #14
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Yep - that would run consitant right ...
I think it needs to be a little more profound - it has to have some kind of measurement ...
Most devices serve a purpose and while it may record the events - I think it has to do a bit more ...
Dumbledore could write down the event and just refer back - but he studies this device - like something is changing or has changed ...
I dont dispute that it might be the key events - but I think he looks at it to see any changes based on the actions he performs at the time ... I suppose to see if things are still on course - like a standard event line ... making sure things follow it - or even deviate ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 03-07-2005, 07:53   #15
Tonks
Unspeakable

Dumbledore's Watch

I could probably find another thread to add this on to, but I didn't exactly do the best job looking - so if anyone finds one feel free to merge this one with it Thanky.

-----

Fortescue recently posted something in the Transport/Travel in Harry Potter thread that hit something in my brain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
Though it's not been mentioned often in the books, just twice in my memory:

The first time in SS/PS when Dumbledore pulled out his watch with twelve hands and no numbers, and little planets that move around the edge.

The second time in the Department of Mysteries he pulled out his watch again when talking to Fudge. It has been suggested that Dumbledore's watch might be his own personal time-turner.

Two times we have seen this, and JKR has gone to the trouble of putting the watch on her website --- I'm thinking it might come into play in HBP.
Indeed, it does seem that it might also tell time, since Dumbledore used it to inform Professor McGonagall that Hagrid was late, but due to the presence of the planets and the lack of numbers - could it also be used as his own personal time turner?

If so, I wonder why Dumbledore would have had it on him that night. Could he have used the time turner the night the Potters died? If so, what for? Could Dumbledore himself have traveled back in time to witness Voldemort's downfall, and that is how he knows so much about what happened there?

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:36   #16
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Oooo, very good Tonky

Firstly, I'd imagine since he uses as a watch that he'd have it on him at all times, but if in fact it is in some way his own personal time-turner or other type of tranport device it would explain a lot about what he might have been the day after the Potter's death, and the time leading up to when Hagrid delivered him to the Dursley's.

Maybe he can go back in time and see things that happened in the past, and maybe he can do something to influence how things have turned out - to actually help them turn out differently in the same way Harry and Hermione did in PoA.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:51   #17
Tonks
Unspeakable

If Dumbledore did go back in time and watch the Potter's death, he probably would not have done anything to change it because the main rule of time travel is you can't interfere (or something along those lines I think), so he couldn't have gotten rid of Voldemort or saved Lily and James but he could have watched everything that happened.

If so, this would definitely explain how Dumbledore knows exactly why Lily died for Harry, how he knows that Voldemort was still out there, but powerless and unable to carry on..

It would also explain why the house was destroyed when Hagrid got there, because I think someone else had to be there to destroy the house. However, that's being discussed elsewhere, I believe..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:56   #18
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Interesting Tonky - but why would he destroy the house ... :evil1:

You know it would account for Dumbledore's vast knowledge in everything - just think about it - he can turn the time back a day - a week - month - years even and go witness first hand what was going on ...
But you are right - rules of time travel - you cant make any significant changes to time - otherwise you have what it termed the 'butterfly effect' ...
If Dumbledore was to stop the Potters dying - given all that passed since - the significance would be too big and likely cause a paradox - and destroy the whole universe ... *bit dramatic right* ...
Still - given Snapes 'Time and space matter in magic Potter' ... and Dumbledore's watch having planets and many hands ... you have to wonder and look a lot harder right ...
I think that Dumbledore is so versed in what is going on because he is utilising this device to the Maximum - and I wonder if we will finally see this when Harry spots two Dumbledore's at one point ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 03-07-2005, 13:47   #19
Boing
Pops in randomly

You were right, Tonky - there was another one out there. I just merged them, so people can feel free to peruse what other people said before and add their own new thoughts.

I definitely think there is something special about the watch. I think it might also have something to do with divination - the way the centaurs read the stars and planets . . . could be a possible connection.

I love the idea that it is his personal timeturner, though, that's just a really neat idea. And would definitely make sense how he knows everything about everyone around him.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:26   #20
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I read a few of the posts from the other thread and see the idea that Dumbledore could be from a different time, but JKR has squashed that idea, so Dumbledore is just the present Dumbledore.

Nice point about the centaurs though. They mentioned their own sort of prophecy told in the stars and planets - as they mentioned the planet Mars and an impending war in Harry's first year when in the forest looking for the injured unicorn.

It could be that Dumbledore sees possible future events through the planets on his watch in the same way the centaurs know what's going to happen. The only problem with the centaurs is that they have to start looking up to ten years before the thing happens, so that doesn't seem to be too reliable. Maybe Dumbledore's watch tells him what's going to happen within the year - twelve hands - twelve months?

The time thing would be handy for Dumbledore as even though the rule is not to meddle with time, if he went into the future to see what might happen to Harry after the war, I'm sure that changing something in the present - just tweaking to the slightest degree would change future events, but wouldn't really be considered "meddling". Dumbledore gave Harry the speech at the end of PoA about the consequences of actions are so complicated and diverse, therefore, I think a little tweak to adjust things a bit doesn't seem like breaking the law of time travel. We know that, when necessary, Dumbledore is as big a rule-breaker as Harry is.

Another thing I think about the watch - a possible connection - twelve hands but no numbers - twelve months in a year - twelve uses for dragons blood - maybe a connection there as well???

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote