Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on the Witch/Wizard characters

Discussions on the Witch/Wizard characters "The four long house tables were packed with chattering students ..."

Old 28-02-2007, 17:13   #1
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Dumbledore & Percy...

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. Percy Weasley's name, we're told, is Percy Ignatius Weasley, not Percival......but I still have to wonder why She used the name Percival as part of Dumbledore's full name. She never, ever creates accidental coincidences----She's way to crafty and careful for that. So....what gives?

I am quite sure I'm not the first to notice that, but I couldn't find it discussed anywhere in a quick look through some older threads.....anyone have any insight or information?
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 18:08   #2
gbogbo
TFH Graduate

Re: Dumbledore & Percy...

I'm not sure why you are mentioning Percy, but as to possible one possible reasoning behind Percival, see the thread firenze...again, in which we discussed this very point only yesterday or so.
gbogbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 21:48   #3
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Sorry---I should have been more detailed----I have posted this idea in other threads, including one I started on my notion----I believe Percy Weasley is very, very dangerous, and I think he may even be a Death Eater. Scabbers was Percy's pet for 10 years. No accident. And don't tell me he never thought about why his rat lived so long. Percy is ambitious to a fault (more Slytherin than Gryffindor, if you ask me). Percy is always right next to or behind a person of influence in the ministry, and is always more than happy to reinforce that person's denial of Voldemort's return or his own misplaced sense of security. Ron is only right when he's joking. He once quipped, speaking of the young Tom Riddle, "He sounds a lot like Percy". We all wrote off the idea of Percy being involved in the opening of the Chamber in CoS when we discovered he had a girlfriend.....but was the girlfriend a decoy to make us dismiss Percy once again? The Weasleys all seem to be very powerful wizards (except, thus far, Ron, and I think that's only because he hasn't found his focus yet---it is obvious that he is a Seer but has no idea how to use that power). That's why I brought him up in connection with Dumbledore's name. Just wondering if there is any connection.

BTW, I think the Percival part of Dumbledore's name is also another reference to immortality to go along with the Phoenix, the Elixir of Life, the Time Turners, etc. Percival was one of King Arthur's knights who went on a quest for the Holy Grail, perhaps history's most prominent symbol of life eternal. There have been parallels drawn between the Goblet of Fire & the Holy Grail. It makes for a pretty obvious reference.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55   #4
Morfin Gaunt
dumbledores army

hi sorry i have read on many thread that ron is a seer or great at divination. where has this come from can you please point me the the direction of a thread that explain this please. sorry for being slow
Old 01-03-2007, 06:02   #5
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

This is obviously off topic, but since I started the thread, and since you asked I don't care a bit. I'm not sure if there is a thread oin this specific subject---there probably is, I just haven't been there. The idea of Ron being a Seer comes from the generalization that, when you look back through the books, fairly often when Ron makes a sarcastic remark or tongue-in-cheek quip, he accidentally (or at least without knowing it) makes a prediction or nails something on the head. It has been supposed that Ron possesses "the sight" and isn't aware of it and obviously doesn't know how to channel it. He won't find the guidance he needs at Hogwarts because Trelawney is too loopy from sherry and too self-absorbed to notice, not to mention that she doesn't know when she's made a "real" prediction, and Firenze probably has too much disdain for humans to worry about the potential of one arrogant (perceived), underachieving kid. I'm at work and don't have any books handy, so I hesitate to quote chapter & verse---there are others more adept at that part anyway----maybe someone else can point to some specific references????
Old 01-03-2007, 06:47   #6
Morfin Gaunt
dumbledores army

thank you, yes i dont mean to take other your thread with a completly different subject i was just wondering how this kept being mentioned. thank you very much, ill go throught the book s again and see if i notice it this time.

Back on topic i can see percy being a death eater but i still refuse to believe it from dumbledore, i also think percy with turn 'good' in the end
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36   #7
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

I hope you're right about Percy.....I would hate to see Molly Weasley go through the pain of having her son exposed as a DE & not redeem himself. I have a bad feeling about him, though, and I can't quite shake it. I don't mean to suggest that Dumbledore is a Death Eater, necessarily, I just wonder what connection there is between the names----JKR doesn't leave those sorts of things out there by accident. That "Percival" and "Percy" are so close is either a purposely planted clue or a purposely planted red herring. It was no accident.

As to Dumbledore being a DE......his quote, speaking of Snape, "He is now no more Death Eater than I am" has got me wondering----that is perfect JKR-speak---say something that means one thing on the surface, but considered from a completely different perspective means something else entirely....I don't want to believe it, but I bought completely into the idea that Sirius Black was a murderous fiend, only to find out that much of what we knew of him was misinterpreted.

There are so many questions about so many things it makes my head hurt thinking about them. I can't wait for this book. About a decade ago, Stephen King published the novel The Green Mile in six chapter installments, each released on the first of successive months----he said he had always wanted to publish something Dickens-style. I was engrossed by the story---I believe it is his finest work. It was full of symbolism, allegory, and social comment, and the plot twisted and turned in a mesmerizing way. I could not wait for each chapter to hit the stores. That was the last time I remember anticipating the release of a book to the point that it entered my thoughts on a daily basis. I am anticipating HPDH at a much higher level. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Old 01-03-2007, 14:11   #8
Morfin Gaunt
dumbledores army

ok make it a bit wild
consider percy and dumbledore are related some how
and i mean related,

picture molly has an afair with dumbly and names her child after her lovers middle name

cant believe im posting this...
Old 01-03-2007, 17:41   #9
jimbo716
TFH Graduate

Maybe both names are a play on the same root. Perhaps both of them are PERCIeved in a manner opposite their true nature.
Just a thought.