Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Old 16-01-2005, 05:44   #21
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Pettigrew's Debt

Another uncomfortable question from JKR ...
That is the thing about OL chats - when you sense blood you cant go in for the kill - but I think a little concentration on her willingness to move that subject on quickly is a telling point.
Words to make her jumpy there - Debt, Wormtail, Harry, Voldemort and sacrifice .. I wonder what would happen if someone formulated question based a little deeper into that?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 12:08   #22
yarvelling
TFH Graduate

Question The debt of Wormtail...

At the end of POA, Dumbledore told Harry that Wormtail was now indebted magicaly to Harry for his having spared Wormtail's life.....
Apart from a few feeble protestations at the beginning of GOF, Wormtail seems to have forgotten all about his debt, and appears to have no trouble in the graveyard in hurting Harry, to the orders of Voldemort. Do you suppose that this was just his cowardice and mortal terror of his master that blinded him to his debt? I got the impression from what Dumbledore had said in POA that this was a magical bond between the two; something that Wormtail would almost have been forced to honour, either with, or without, his conscious consent....
Do you think perhaps that this is something that we shall see come to fruition in one of the two remaining books, as Wormtail was not actually ordered to do Harry fatal injury in GOF and as such, the bond/debt has not yet actually been put fully to the test?

Oh yeah...and where WAS Wormtail during OoTP? Did Voldemort have him away spying, or carrying out some other dastardly duties?
Old 19-05-2005, 13:20   #23
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: The debt of Wormtail...

OK - I merged this in with an existing thread that seemed to be talking about the same things - have a read back maybe and then post away

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 19-05-2005, 23:05   #24
yarvelling
TFH Graduate

Thanks, and sorry! I did a small search before posting, but I guess I missed that thread!
Old 20-05-2005, 00:41   #25
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Wormtail will pay his debt willingly. I don't think he's as evil as the other Death Eaters, he's just a victim of his own shortcomings. Even though he's done some terrible things, he is not inherently evil, more of a follow the crowd kind of person. In the graveyard, he couldn't look Harry in the eye and Voldemort's appearance repulsed him. I think shame was what kept him from looking at Harry - it was almost like a 'what have I done' type of thing. I think if Wormtail could have a do-over he surely wouldn't have helped Voldemort.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 13:44   #26
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

OK, here it is. . . Da-da-da-daaaaa!!! my 300th post!!!!

I think one key thing to keep in mind with "wormtail" is that he was sorted by the hat as a Gryffindor. We see him as a sniveling coward, alying himself with whomever he believes the odds favor. But the Sorting hat had to have seen real courage in him to put him in Gryffindor. That said, I think that Pettigrew now believes that he has, not only a life debt to Harry, but also to James because of the betrayal. My thoughts are that he is biding his time now till he sees his window of oportunity and intends to act and pay his debt to both, by saving Harry from Voldemort. Wormtail will betray Voldemort, perhaps intending to kill him, and although he will be unsuccessful, and left nearly dead, he will at least have put off the final confrontation till book 7. (envisioning a Luke-Vader type ending as wormtail redeems himself to the marauders ). Perhaps it will be the finale of HBP. . . hmmmmm Do we know if Pettigrew could be the HBP? might tie in good there. . .

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 15:36   #27
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Okay...my thoughts after recently listening to PoA and GoF lead me in two directions.

In PoA, DD says to Harry that one day he may be thankful that Wormtail owes him this debt
This gives me the impression that Wormtail will have to make it known to Harry that he has repaid it, otherwise Harry wouldn't know, right?

But in GoF, Wormtail tries to get Voldemort to use another wizard, this fails, so in the end, he could have resorted to repaying his debt secretly, like by changing the portkey. But in my opinion, that didn't really save his life, but rather gave him a quicker escape. After all, Voldemort still wants to kill him, so his life isn't saved yet...
Old 21-05-2005, 10:17   #28
Alz
Head Unspeakable

SPF makes a good point that shouldnt be ignored - the sorting hat saw some good in Peter and as much as he totally betrayed his friends - I still think there is a chance for him to make good on the deceit.
He doesnt like what he became - he doesnt like the fact he has to rely on Voldemort because if anyone else saw him he would be snogging a Dementor.
He had to bring Voldemort back because without him his life was that of a rat scurrying around trying to find the next host.
By having Voldemort back and in full power - Peter has a chance to live again - as such I dont think he is willing to throw it all away.
He will have to re-pay the debt - and somewhat he might realise he has to - but will be do it because he knows it is right - or will he do it because he has no choice - i think the second one is most likely.
He will be compelled to stand in the way between Voldemort and Harry and I am sure this is what will bring about the end of Wormtail - he wont want to but the magic of the life debt will make him.
He suffered to bring Voldemort back and will suffer to get away from him - but as a final act of recovery he will do it at a time Harry is practically dead in the eyes of Voldemort and it will suprise both Harry and Voldemort as he does it - and maybe in some small sorry way Harry might even accept the sacrifice Wormtail had to make to repay that debt.

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 03-10-2005, 21:42   #29
Federalist_10
I'm a N00b

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS:

I think Harry Potter isn't just random it doesn't follow some sort of thought process. Sure, that will play a pivotal role as JK tries to convey to us that good deeds and good people will prevail. As she has in the last books. I think that Pettigrew will do something pivotol if he hasn't already. Why not? Plus, that is part of Harry's power. So, in the end, that will Help Harry. His ability to forgive and be human and such.
3:30 AM on my Way back from the restroom

"Mom..what are you doing?"

"I'm...I'm...Being quick like a cat in the night"
Federalist_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:26   #30
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well lets see what became of Wormtail - hiding away in Snape's muggle house acting like a house elf to the man ... not sure that would sit too well with one of the few people that seemed to remain loyal to Voldemort.
I think there will be some resentment and bitterness at what he had become from all he had given in the service of Voldemort and perhaps that power to help Harry wouldnt be too hard to resist ... he knows as he stands at the moment he is living a really poor lifestyle and that is all he has to show for all his betrayal and service!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536