Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Old 26-06-2006, 18:13   #1
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

Rowling to kill two in final Potter book

LONDON (Reuters) - Children's author J.K. Rowling has revealed that at least two characters will die in the seventh and final installment of her bestselling Harry Potter series, but was careful not to say who.

ADVERTISEMENT

Children and adults are expected to rush and buy the final Harry Potter novel in their tens of millions when it is complete, and if the publication of the sixth book is anything to go by, secrecy surrounding the plot will be tight.

Rowling has already said that the final chapter of the seventh book was written long ago.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly," she said in an interview broadcast on Monday on Britain's Channel 4. "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die."

When asked to be more specific, she added: "No, I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't want the hate mail or anything else."

She did explain that she understood an author's desire to kill off the main character of a successful series.

"I've never been tempted to kill him (Harry) off before the end of book seven, because I always planned seven books and that's where I want to go.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks 'Well, I'm going to kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels ... so it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling, 40, wrote the first Harry Potter adventure when she was an unemployed single mother, but has gone on to become one of the richest authors in history with a personal fortune estimated at more than $1 billion.

The Harry Potter series has sold an estimated 300 million copies worldwide.

Click here for the original article.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Yahoo, she's killing two characters.

And....
check this out!!

she hinted in this article that it may very well be Harry himself!
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 18:42   #2
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Re: Rowling to kill two in final Potter book

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffles
And....
check this out!!

she hinted in this article that it may very well be Harry himself!
I just saw that interview myself, and was surprised when I got here that there wasn't more posted! OK, I don't think it will be Harry. She seemed to bring that up on purpose to make us think about it. I think if she were going to do that, it wouldn't be let out at all untill the book was released. It smells of a rotten red herring!

Now, a reprieve . . . has to be Dumbledore or Sirius. . . And darn it, I just can't say which I realy want it to be! I would say either is as likely to be "resurected". Easy to say DD had just faked his death to get Snape in good with Voldemort, but also easy to find a way to bring someone back from behind the veil she herself created . . . Course, Cedric is a possibility I suppose, but don't see what purpose it would serve. would like it to be Sirius, I guess, just because it will give Harry something close to "family" of his own to continue on with after all is said and done.

Now . . . "two will die that I didn't intend to die" first, I think that this is worded to imply that it isn't just two dying, but two more than she had previously planned. Starting to look like a real heart wrencher . . . Hard to say who the two new additions are since we have no idea who was initially intended in the first place. One thing that does come to mind, is her quote that the three will live . . . is that what changed?! I realy hope not, but in saying that, it gives her the chance to go back on her word a bit doesn't it. I can't say why, but I have the feeling that Arthur will die, not sure if he is a new one or one of the orriginal planned, but I will put money on it. No real proof of any kind, just a real solid gut feeling.

One thing is for certain though . . . she has opened a real can of worms with just a few sentances!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 20:26   #3
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

here is a different spin on it!
Quote:
LONDON : Harry Potter may perish in the final installment of the boy wizard series in which two main characters die, author J.K. Rowling hinted in a television interview.

Speaking on Monday evening, Joanne Kathleen Rowling, 40, said she was well on the way to finishing the eagerly-awaited seventh Potter book.

"I wrote the final chapter in something like 1990, so I've known exactly how the series is going to end," she told a chat show on Channel 4 television.

"The final chapter is hidden away although it's now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," Rowling said.

"A price has to be paid, we are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras, do they? They go for the main characters - well, I do."

Asked whether one of the casualties would be Potter himself, Rowling said she had never been tempted to kill off the magician before the finale.

At the same time, she added: "I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, 'Well I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels. So it will end with me and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character."

The author said she did not want to commit herself either way on Potter's fate, telling interviewers Richard Madeley and Judy Finnegan: "I don't want the hate mail, apart from anything else."

Speaking of her life as a famous writer, Rowling admitted to having been in denial during the unprecedented success of her first three books on the adventures of Potter and his friends at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"That's where my reputation for being po-faced comes from. I was like a rabbit caught in the headlights," she said.

Rowling, who shot to fame from humble roots, also revealed that she still writes in cafes and based the character of Potter's good friend Hermione on a combination of herself and her sister when they were young.

As for the future after Potter, Rowling said: "I don't think I'm ever going to have anything like Harry again. You just get one like Harry."

The first six books in the series have sold more than 300 million copies worldwide and been translated into 63 languages.

The first four have also been made into blockbuster movies.

The seventh novel is reportedly due to be published next year at the earliest. AFP/yy

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...215846/1/.html
Old 26-06-2006, 22:10   #4
Tom the Bar Man
I'm a N00b

I bet on Harry getting it in the end. I hate to say it, but it's just leading that way. He has no other ambition for the future except to chase dark wizards. It's his destiny to do this, but what more is there after he kills the ultimate dark lord? Wouldn't he be like Frodo, not content even with the Shire after he fought so hard to keep it safe? There is no room for those who relied on a prophecy or a will to desroy an enchanted ring to go back to normal after their lives are released from their "duty." Tolkein knew that, but his story provided for Frodo to leave the realm of the known and go across the sea wih the elves. What else is there for Rowling except to write Harry dying tragicaly?
Old 26-06-2006, 23:13   #5
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Actually, the way I see it is that she says that two main characters will die (no extras for her) so I am guessing Hagrid or some of the Weasleys, (and not Percy, as he is pretty much an extra.)

With her talk of Harry dying, it is a two way street. She says she understands an authors reason for killing off the main character as a way of making it impossible for another author to take her place, but she speaks as if it is someone else. Not in a cocky way, but no one could ever take Harry places she has taken him and back again, with him surviving and more importantly, readers relating with him. I think she means other authors might do that, but she will not kill him. I know she respects many authors (Stephen King being a big one, and also him being a fan of the series must be a pressure, because believe me, it is much harder to write for your peers than anything else, and to recieve their praise is something that is held above all) It seems like she is talking about it in an unrelated way, as "someone might do this, but I wouldn't and I understand that". But then again, her talk of the deaths being "not extras" makes us wonder.

I remember before HBP came out, JKR started doing more PR, so this may be the same thing. Everything we have wished for and dreaded. The final book in the series coming this next summer. I don't know. I don't want Ron, Harry, or Hermione to die, but I get the feeling that at least one will. And I hope, beyond hope (as sad as that is, because we all know that these stories are fiction) that it is not Harry. He deserves the full life that almost everyone that has sacrificed their lives for his wanted for him. I have heard many people say, that if Harry dies, he will be with friends and family. Won't he also be with friends, and another kind of family, if he is living? That is my logic. He has discovered that not only is to live, is to learn, but to live is to, if you have really lived, have no regrets, and leave nothing behind but a fruitful family when you pass on.

You may disagree, but look at the Weasleys, the Bones (Susan), the McKinnons and so many other families. The Malfoys may live on for now, but everyone will know what they have become. Of the familes that have been honorable and forthright in the series thusfar, they have been those that have lost someone, and still stayed the course and stuck out for the fight. Especially the Weasleys; Whether Molly tells her family or not, they have lost uncles that could have been very imporant to them, had they known them.

I just dont know. When it comes to two characters that are gonna kick the bucket, and are main characters, I hope it is Molly and Arthur. I know it is harsh, but understand, it would make sense if their house was attacked, and they have led a fuller life than any of their children. JKR has killed a child once, and only once. I am talking literally, not figuratively, as in the soul of Draco. She killed Cedric, and I don't think she wants to have much more innocent children's blood on her hands. She may do it again, but I would rather she kill Arthur and Molly together (both main characters) then one of the children, who may have gotten a reprieve because of this death(s).

Do I think Harry will die? I hope, with all my heart, no. He may not have known his biological family, but he has so many now, as a support group/family, there would be mort hurt than closure if he died. Yea, he has known death and all of it's consequences by now, but that doesn't make it any easier. Look at the examples of Sirius (one he didn't know long, but was closer to family, truly, than he had ever had, and otherwiwse, Dumbledore, who was his giuding figure. He sees how he truly must be through Dumbledore, and as JKR has said, Dumbledore is ultimate good). How can that be defeated? As she says, it is like walking into an arena scared, knowing you are in for the fight of your life, and walkng in for the fight of your life, with your head held high. And above all, Ron and Hermione. They do not, and will not ever falter in their faith in Harry. But they will also never know the full extent of Harry's pain. It would only further the chasm between the trio to have two of them dating, and then one ( no saying who, unless your JKR) of them die for the sake of the world. He would much rather be a best man than a martyr, but if it comes down to it, we know, that whether it is the first read-through or the sixth, we will love it, and most importantly, we will read.

So, whether it is Madam Maxime ( a rather obscure character in the grand scheme of HP) or Hermione, we will mourn. Not only for the characters that we have come to know as friends, but also for the great author, who may or may not ever write another HP-esque style novel again, whether it be in greatness ( because it may be just as good) or number of fans, measured. I know, I for one, amongst many, not only remain on this site, but around the world, will tell their children and their grand-children about Harry Potter, and how his name will resonate among those great halls. What great halls you may wonder?

The great halls of stories that last for centuries, the stories of Alice, Rapunzel, Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretl, The Emperor, and Dorothy. And among these names, for our generation, and many to come, as fairy tales past have come to learn, we will speak, in one unison voice. It will be "Harry Potter".
Old 27-06-2006, 03:15   #6
Luna
TFH Graduate

It's funny how differently people can read the same sentance - that's how so much discussion is generated on these wonderful books - but when I heard ' "One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," ', I read it as 1 character she had originally planned to kill off in the final book, she is now not going to kill. Whereas SPF interprets it as someone we already know/think of being dead coming back to life. What do others think?...

As to who I think might die, I sadly agree with others that Arthur's days are numbered. He has almost been killed once and it does seem that one near brush with death in Harry's world only delays the inevitable a short time, ie Sirius, Dumbledore.

I worry for Neville as well. I think he'll be involved in any final battle and although you can't fault his loyalty and bravery, his ability might just not be enough to fight off the evil he'll face.

I also wonder about who gets the reprieve - I speculate Malfoy. Not sure how he'll ever be integrated back into Wizard soceity after what he's done, but what an example to set to children about someone who has done wrong but still gets another chance........

Final note on Harry's potential demise. I don't think she will kill him and I'm basing it on quite a far reach, but......

At the Party in the Park on Sunday (Celebration of children's literature where 200 children were invited to Buckingham palace for a show based around famous literacy characters), there was a scene with Harry, Hermione and Ron and J K Rowling also attended. Based on this, I'm assuming (dangerous thing to do) that she concurred with content, and at the end of the show it was stated that in children's literature there has never been, nor never will be, an occasion where good will not triumph over evil. In my opinion, killing Harry would fly in the face of this comment even if Voldemort died too, so I'm pinning my hopes on this because I don't know how I'll console my kids (or me) if Harry doesn't live happily ever after!!
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 05:18   #7
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

On the 2 deaths, I think Arthur is on the list as I stated before, and the fact that he had his near death incident with Nagini as said above, puts him on the "likely to go" list in the Potter world. Another that could be added is Bill Weasley after his encounter with Greyback, and Ginny too with her encounter in CoS. Then again . . . but I still don't think he will be killed, What about Harry? Just how many brushes with death has he had? "The" night to start with. His encounter with Quirrel, With Riddle in CoS he was nearly dead with the Basilisk's poison before fawkes got there, The AK that would have hit him in GoF were it not for priori incantatem, The battle in the MoM in OotP . . . Sounds like he is way past due . . . but, maybe that rule only applies to characters other than Harry! Well I am hoping so anyway. Harry's life thus far has been difficult from nearly the begining. Loosing his parents and growing up with the Dursleys, and then, only a slight relief really, in going to Hogwarts. There he faced ridicule still, jealousy even from his best friend, and now the fight against evil right from his very first year. I say that more than anyone else ever, Harry deserves his day on the beach! He doesn't need to be an auror, but just be Harry enjoying life for the first time completely without a prophecy or cruel guardians hanging over his head. Harry needs to be a father, and have a chance to live out the life he should have had to begin with.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 05:39   #8
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

It can only be Snape and Voldemort. Snape will die even though he sacrificed his life to do Dumbledore's bidding and like his mentor will have to make the ultimate sacrifice in the end to stop Voldemort. And then of course, Harry will find all the Horcruxes and end Voldemort's life. JKR is already planting the seeds of speculation by saying two will die. That way everyone will continue to speculate that Harry is a Horcrux and will have to do away with himself in order to do away with Voldemort.

JKR doesn't give away anything important. Keeping the pre-release speculation going keeps the fans interested and the publisher and author sells more books that way! It can be cruel thought!

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 06:50   #9
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
I read it as 1 character she had originally planned to kill off in the final book, she is now not going to kill. Whereas SPF interprets it as someone we already know/think of being dead coming back to life. What do others think?...
I read it the same way as you did, Luna. I think we're getting two characters that we are least likely expecting to be killed, will actually be killed, while the one character with the reprieve will be the one the most of us have our bets on to be killed.

I don't really see Harry as dying, since, you know, as JKR said, i just don't think she's the type of author. Snape and somehow, Neville, is on top of my list, although i have no clue why i came up with Neville. Just a feeling.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 09:29   #10
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
It's funny how differently people can read the same sentance - that's how so much discussion is generated on these wonderful books - but when I heard ' "One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," ', I read it as 1 character she had originally planned to kill off in the final book, she is now not going to kill. Whereas SPF interprets it as someone we already know/think of being dead coming back to life. What do others think?...

Yep I read that the same way you did. I think she planned on offing someone but decided to change it up a bit. (maybe Snape)?

As for the 2 deaths... I think they are in addition to the ones she already had planned.

I always thought Hagrid may go in the end for some reason.

I can't even imagine who else it could be. Maybe Lucius, or Bella or wormatail (notice I don't mention any good-guys...)