Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Poll: Book 7 title. Love it, Hate it, Got a better one?
Poll Options
Book 7 title. Love it, Hate it, Got a better one?

Old 22-12-2006, 17:26   #11
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: Book 7 name revealed

I'm not much for the title. I mean, what a name for the last book in a series that made the whole world sit up and take notice. It's almost a let down, but it's her muse and she can name it whatever she wants.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 19:13   #12
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

I deeply appreciate everyone's own ideas, and opinions. Because everyone is entitled to one.
I would love to hear from those people who thought that this title was not what they expected.
Book 7 is going to be filled with lot of curses, fights, and hunts and stuff. It will also involve deaths. What is wrong with the title she chose then?
I think that for what she is trying to acomplish, the title is second to none. Perfect name for a perfect series ender.
what do you guys think?

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 22:54   #13
Dumbledore's man
Azkaban and beyond

You are right cagedcactus. There is nothing wrong with that title. JKR has chosen one of the best title for her last book in Harry Potter seriese.
Dumbledore's man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 05:22   #14
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Hi All Had to take a break from sluething for awhile, untangle the threads so to speak-however now that we have a title (happy dance!) I'll have to dig back in. I have been slowly reading the books and have found a few fresh tidbits to post soon

I see I'm in the minority since I am filled with glee at the title and not just because of the obvious reference to All Hallows Eve (will add the 13 Hallows of Britain on the Possible Timeline thread)-but we finally have a title that employs the wordplay that JKR has used throughout the series! What a finale--alliteration, homophones, and multiple meanings in two little words.

Deathly-adj., having the appearance of death, causing death

adv.,in the manner of death, extremely or very

Hallow-verb., to consecrate, to make holy

Wordplay on hallow-hollow, hallo, halo

In the dictionary hallow, hallows is a verb and only a verb which if used in this context would eliminate the adj. deathly (I think ) making the literal meaning-

Deathly Holy or Extremely Consecrated

TeeHee-makes no sense does it? That leaves mythical usage-All Hallow's Eve and the 4 Hallows of Ireland, the 13 Hallows of Britain.

All Hallow's Eve-Deathly Spirits/ Spirits are dead, so this seems a bit of an oxymoron

Hallows of Ireland-Deathly Objects/ This screams horcruxes-yet I have another theory...

Just to confuse the matter Tolkien used The Hallows in LotR as a place of spirits.

Deathly Places/ Places between life and death? Godric's Hollow? Little Hangleton cemetary? The veil room? Chamber of Secrets? (Sorry-just random thoughts.. )

Right now my money is on both Spirits and Objects as it applies to the Four Founders of Hogwarts. Hallows was in some dropped titles early in the series.
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 06:06   #15
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think 'deathly' sets the tone for the book - I think death is coming and the title just helps highlight that!
The hallows part, as we have seen from subsequent threads, does seem to have more of a meaning and perhaps the clue to the title and the story can be gleemed from more investigations into the hallow part?

The title was a surprise for me - JKR has named all the books with great relevance and the title being a massive part of the stories ... when I first heard HBP I wasnt a fan ... maybe the same as OoTP - but when you read the books, you see the massive relevance to the story and the series of the title.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 22:32   #16
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glumbumble View Post
I found the following reference to “Hallows”

Could this indicate further help from Dumbledore, Sirius, James and Lily?
Is Samhain the night before the 1st of May?
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 05:32   #17
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

From Celtic Spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.celticspirit.org/samhain.htm
Samhain marks one of the two great doorways of the Celtic year, for the Celts divided the year into two seasons: the light and the dark, at Beltane on May 1st and Samhain on November 1st. Some believe that Samhain was the more important festival, marking the beginning of a whole new cycle, just as the Celtic day began at night. For it was understood that in dark silence comes whisperings of new beginnings, the stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today of course, as Halloween.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 18:36   #18
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

I voted that I like the title. I don't think I really like it now, but I think I will once I have read the book.

I'm going to have to come on here more often to find out the scoop. I didn't see this until just now. So while everybody else is like 'Duh! There's a title for book 7 now." I'm like, "Wow! There's a title for book 7 now!"

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 14:54   #19
Angelis
TFH Graduate

I dont like the title , like someone said before hbp made you sit up & take notice, i like harry potter & the final horcrux ,not orginal but i really liked it.
thats all what we know is coming the fight at the end, i hope this book lives up to the last the title again is a darker one so we know all what really to expect from the book. i wonder if it will all end where it begain what with the title hollow /hallows ,
but thats another thread
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 08:44   #20
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well, I haven't voted yet . . . I can't say I love it, and can't say I hate it yet . . . but I do find it extremely intriguing, especialy after reading Snark's discourse. There is definately meaning in the title, but as is usual with JKR not enough meaning to give us an idea to stand on. We already knew there would be deaths, no surprise there. The series has gotten progressively darker so a dark title does not seem out of place for the final book. Is it what I expected? . . . no . . . and yes. I had said before that it would be something no one could guess, that it would be somehting we hadn't heard of before in any way. I can say that I AM even more excited about getting to read it. And, I am anxious too to see others opinions and theories over the next few weeks!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote