Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Old 13-07-2007, 06:32   #21
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Re: OotP - Spoiler - MAJOR Canon Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashlie View Post
i don't know whether i feel better or worse hearing everyone else's opinions on it!

each time i come back here, someone has posted something else i forgot or missed!

i was left confused when Neville found the room of requirement! HOW did he do it? all i saw was him walking past, the door appeared, then he walked back to it. did he say something that i missed?

and filch waiting outside it? okay, that was funny....

did anyone else notice the cat in the plate in Umbridge's office? the one that in the book, harry looks at and it reminds him of Moody? the movie suggests that it was a lookout for Umbridge! Where was the veritaserum, apart from when we hear about it when they admit to Cho having had some (i DO NOT agree with them having her as the sneak, and then only because of the Veritaserum, it leaves it open for her and Harry to reconcile).

i posted a comment on IMDB. after someone else said the movie was fantastic and the best yet.

Neville was walking by himself, when Crabbe and Goyle brush past him hitting his shoulders. So I guess he was somehow thinking about being able to defend himself against this constant harrasment he receives. But he just walked by and the room just appears out of no where. In front of busy corridor too.
I applaud those who think that this movie is the best yet. Because that is optimizm at its best.
For me, worst movie of the series.... down right.......
Honestly, just stop here and think....
They chose to show everything too small, fast and fuzzy.
Grimmauld place was some appartment.
Ministry was all graphics, no significance shown on MoM.
Death eaters apparating left and right. Even flying as spirits..... kind of looked like a graveyard full of ghosts....
And what the heck was up with Moody????
everytime he just thump his walking staff and things happened.

These movies have become more like awe struck, flashy and cheesy slug fest, rather than the master piece that TSS and COS were.

I loved Luna by the way........ SHE WAS AWESOME.......
Bellatrix????? huh....... was ok. She lacked tenacity..... the creepiness....

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 06:34   #22
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I too agree that there were things left out that i would have liked to see, things done in different orders and by the wrong person, things added in that weren't necessary an other things that were just plain wrong like Harry giving up the prophecy. I think WB could have definately done a better job at sticking closer to the book, and should have used more time that 2 hours and 20 min. The first two movies were each nearly 3 hours, and, they were the shortest books, and thereby did a good job representing the books.

But . . .What we need to remember here is that there is no way everything WE think important can be in a movie. The screen writters use what they think is important to the overall story, they are not looking at overall cannon, they are more interested in a very entertaining show. JKR does have a final say, and I am certain (as with Kreacher) that she will insist on what is absolutely necessary, but remember, she knows we have read all the words and know all the details, so the films do not need to cover every little snippet. And for those who haven't read the books, or seen previous films, their confusion will likely lead them to want to read the books.

Since the first film I saw after reading the book, PoA, I have learned that first, DO NOT RE-READ THE BOOK 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE MOVIES RELEASE, that really helps to overlook allthe wonderful details that are left out, and second. DO NOT GO TO THE FILM EXPECTING IT TO TELL THE WHOLE STORY. It won't happen! Just go to the film excited about getting to feel like you are actually there watching SOME of the story happen, (maybe like you are looking into a pensive with just a few random memories.) but you know the rest anyway. That is why I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but with just one exception . . . HARRY SHOULD NOT HAVE GIVEN UP THE PROPHECY! Still can't see why Rowling would allow that!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 06:41   #23
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan View Post
. . . HARRY SHOULD NOT HAVE GIVEN UP THE PROPHECY! Still can't see why Rowling would allow that!
Agreed. Because at that moment, the whole battle became worthless. Lucious could have just apparated away with the prophecy to Voldemort. And that was his sole purpose. (apparating in DOM was even allowed ???)

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
Old 13-07-2007, 11:05   #24
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

The other big thing for me was how Grimmauld place appeared. I think the whole secret keeper thing should have been mentioned. How hard would it be to hand Harry a piece of paper with the address on it? Sheesh...
Old 13-07-2007, 11:44   #25
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Seeker, you bring up a very good point.
That is the exact thing which is bugging me.
Not only they compressed the movie, but they did it as if the book doesnt even exist.
Not only they cut the scenes or details, they changed them completely like the one you just described.

How hard was it to hand a note to Harry so that the whole idea of secret keeper would have meant something for viewers?

How hard was it to show Sirius fall through the veil, instead of getting hit with Avada Kedavra (sounded more like abra-ka-debra when Bella said it), and then hang around to look at Harry regretfully, and then just kind of walk through the veil?

How hard was it to make this movie at least as long as TSS? 20 more minutes to this movie would have done wonders.....

Last edited by cagedcactus; 13-07-2007 at 11:47..
Old 13-07-2007, 18:28   #26
horcruxfinder
TFH Graduate

I wanted to comment that I noticed what I think was Aberforth with goats (clinking of bells) at the hogs head when the trio enter the bar to recruit for the DA. I also noticed the troll leg umbrella stand. It was funny to me that this prop and tonks tripping over it was included but not the locket.
Old 13-07-2007, 18:29   #27
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Quote:
(apparating in DOM was even allowed ???)
While I do agree that Harry handing over the prophesy makes NO sense, I must point out that in the book DD had to put an anti-apparition spell on the DEs in the Death room because that's where the Aurors would find them to arrest them.

OTher than that, I think this is just the new version of WTH? for the movies. We did it after Azkaban (and I'm still livid over that one), we did it after Goblet, and now we do it here. We must accept that the world isn't as obsessed with the details as we are. It would be nice to see a real good rendition of the books that actually IS BASED ON the books, rather than inspired by the books. That said, I think this one held to the HARRY story pretty well. There were obviously glaring missing scenes and changed scenes, but the basic story itself didn't change -- better than completely ignoring that Lupin and Sirius miraculously knew what the map was and how to use it. I use DH to guage how logical it is. He refuses to read the books (though I keep trying), but he enjoys the movie. After Azkaban, he had about a thousand questions -- things that made no sense. After this one, it was ONE. Pretty good, I think.

I mean, if we're going to complain about something, I think the RoR thing is a good one. I think the Levicorpus is a good one. After all, those changed the absolute nature of the books. That isn't how the RoR works and I don't know how they get around that in HBP. And, I guess they'll figure out something about the Prince and his made up spells (else try to make us forget Harry already knew the spell). Other than that, they didn't discuss Secret Keeping, so for all anyone knows, it's similar to the bricks at Diagon Alley. To the non-readers, does it matter? If it does, it actually can be addressed (though it would require Moody to now be the SK) in Prince. They totally ignored HOW Sirius knew to come to the Ministry, so we just have to let the audience assume they knew.

I say this because we do this every time. It's frustrating, but if we look at it not as a reflection on the books but as a movie, I think it's a good movie. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I hope you all take this as I intend. I just know that they'll do the same thing in every movie. Getting your hopes up that it's a recitation of the book is unfair to WB (NEVER thought I'd say that ).

And, for the record, Chris Columbus changed plenty of things. The biggest glaring one is when HERMIONE asks (rather than Seamus, who was sitting right next to her) "Nearly headless. How can you be nearly headless?" THAT irritated me and still does. She also is the one who fixes Harry's glasses --in Chamber -- (rather than Arthur, who could have done legally -- Hermione NEVER would have broken a school rule to fix glasses).
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 18:36   #28
horcruxfinder
TFH Graduate

I wanted to ask what you all think of Snape in this movie? Did you come away thinking he was more good than evil or the reverse. The woman I went with who has not read a book or seen a single movie said she thought he was a good guy. Just curious.
Old 13-07-2007, 21:15   #29
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

i liked snape's sarcasm, in the movies that is, in the books i dont like him. he's always so mysterious it's hard to tell.
okay now for my opinion.
my favourite part was when harry goes to the MOM and see's the huge banner of fudge as it reminded me so much of a country run under a dictatorship.
dumbledore's escape was awesome, exactly how i imagined it and they included the 'you have to admit, he's got style' line!
the kiss was very sweet, as was hermione and grawp and there was some idea put in that hermione and ron like each other.
i didnt think enough was shown of the connection between harry and sirius, so when he falls through the veil (thats right he FALLS he is not hit by AVADA KEDAVRA like in the movie, that really annoyed me) i think people who didnt read the book wouldnt care so much.
i loved kreacher and the black family tree was cool as well, but seriously it would take like 30 seconds to mention regulus
umbridge was brilliant
the final scene, me and my sister were looking forward to this so much because it shows how powerful these two wizards are, also in the book i get shivers EVERY time harry says to bellatrix 'well he's not here is he? he cant hear you!' and voldemort appears behind him! this could have been done so well in the movie. and why wasnt harry protected by that statue?
the posession was fantastic! and when harry said ' i feel sorry for you' i got a little teary as it was my favourite plot of the story, voldemort having no emotions and this is eventually how harry will overcome him. in the book it is harry feeling sad about sirius that makes voldemort leave his body so i dont think this could have been shown as well in the film.
also in the MOM the death eaters were scary as! my mother gripped my hand when lucius walked towards them in his mask. but why were the other death eaters portrayed so weak and dumb? i mean one spell from luna and they got blown away!
as for a scene being included with harry having a sit-down with dumbledore, this would have taken forever, and can be included in the sixth movie, i mean people's attention spans only last so long!
someone i know saw an advanced screening and warned me to not think too much on the book or i would be disappointed, so i didnt and i enjoyed it a lot, i think ill see it in imax.
Old 14-07-2007, 09:39   #30
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Definately go see it in IMAX! I'm going again sometime this week with the kids . . . actually . . . may just go alone!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote