Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-07-2007, 19:39   #1
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Were you satisfied with DH and what were your reviews?

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

I have to be entirely honest, there were some parts of the book I thought dragged, but without them, it would not have been the excellent book it was. I loved almost every part of it. There are quotes that will forever live in my mind, "We're fighting", to be one. I didn't laugh so much in this book, but I cried. There were so many parts that were sad yet poignant that I had to read them over and over again. I plan to address these in points:

The Arm:

I expected Wormtails arm to be of a completely different use but it came into use no matter what. I think we were supposed to be horrified by what Voldemort would do to his own followers, much less those that opposed him. I felt a moment of sadness for Wormtail, much as he felt a moment of hesitation for killing Harry.

The Grey Lady:

I had heard so many rumors about why the Grey Lady was the way she was and I suppose I believed at least one or two of them that the truth about her and the Bloody Baron totally surprised me. I liked that they linked together, though a murder/suicide isn't too uplifting.

Teachers:

I loved the way McGonagall handled Slughorn when he was doubting what to do at the Hogwarts Battle. "You may leave with your students, but if you try to sabotage our fight or battle against us, we duel to kill" (I know it's not the exact quote, I borrowed the book to my sister ) I think he knew where he stood at that point. I also could not help but laugh in amusement and pride at what Trelawney did during the battle. Sprout and Flitwick never had any doubt in my mind.

The Hallows:

I think that Dumbledore knowing about the Hallows and hiding it from Harry was much of a deception, but I will get into that soon. I think Harry needed to know about them towards then end, but Dumbledore was right, he couldn't be distracted from finding all the Horcruxes....

Dumbledore:

Many of us trusted totally in Dumbledore. In the in between of DH, it seemed like we shouldn't have, but I think he was right in the end. Everything he did, he meant to do for "the greater good", but I also think he knew Harry would survive the attack from Voldemort. He may not have been entirely truthful about his past or his intentions, but I think it was all for the best in the end. Dumbledore is still the same man I envisioned him as in the first book, though he tld the truth a little later this time, and when it came time, he admitted, he was less of a man than Harry. He succumbed, but he could admit it, and Harry could see beyond it.

The Deaths:

I saved this for this far along so no one would accidentally read it. The death of Mad Eye Moody was disturbing, because most of us saw him as tough, just as the characters did. But The death of Dobby, when all he did was help, especially at the time of his death, caused me the most grief. I cried and cried. He had never done anything other than serve Harry Potter, and that was his last act, and alas, his last words. I was deeply touched by what happened to him. I was also deeply affected by the death of Fred, seeing what my name is and all, but the death of both Tonks and Lupin left me at a loss for words. I didn't think JKR would do that to another child. Another not very much written about, and perhaps less notable death, that crushed me was that of Colin Creevey. Known to all of us, too young to stay behind, yet he did. Once again, I mourned for someone that did not exist. These were the fictional people that I shed tears for.

I cannot say that I was not troubled by the deaths of others, especially, Severus Snape...

Snape:

We finally find out the truth. We have pondered for so long, what ties he had, who his allegiance belonged to, and I still believe that it was neither Dumbledore nor Voldemort. I believe it was Lily. He always loved her, even in his last dying breath he loved her enough to give the proof to her son what he must do, for the better of wizarding kind. I don't think Snape had any idea of what Dumbledore knew, that Harry might survive, and he gave it anyway, because of Lily. It doesn't make him any better or worse than anyone that has ever fallen in love.

All in all, I loved the book. There are places I could go back and read over and over that fill me with emotion, even though I have no bookmark or anything of the sort. With all that said, I do have to say, the Epilogue is not of my taste. If I wanted everything tied together in happily ever after, I'd look to Walt Disney. I would have been satisfied with the end of DH, and none of the story after. I have an imagination of my own to use after the book is done with....

Last edited by Weasleyfanforever; 24-07-2007 at 20:05..
Weasleyfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 09:46   #2
Flyboy
I'm a N00b

Re: Were you satisfied with DH and what were your reviews?

I thought the same. The book was written in a totaly different way to the previous books. The characters seemed more real and as such, making them seem more real, JKR had to put some stuff in there that did make some parts drag on. The first few chapters of Harry, Ron and Hermione together in the tent seemed really slow, I started to wander if the whole book was going to be the same!

The deaths were shocking, Mad-eye was a surprise but , when I thought about it, maybe JK thought it was his time to go, he had lived a long, full life.

The death that was most upsetting was Lupin and Tonks, I was really shocked that JK could do that to their baby. Maybe we might hear more in her Encyclodepia.

I loved the Harry/Ginny story. Harry is so in love with Ginny, I would have liked to have seen more interaction, especially in the epilogue.

I didn't really understand the "Kings Cross" Chapter. I need someone to explain - did Harry die? was it heaven? and what exactly was the thrashing "being" under the seat? ( I do understand that it was Voldemort, but what had he become and why?) Questions for another thread maybe.

I also thought that Snape's memories that Harry saw needed to be stronger to convince Harry. Ok, we found out that he loved Lilly, but didn't we know that already? Were Snape's memories really convincing enough for harry to change his opinion of him within that short space of time? I thought JK could have gone into more details.

Why, when Voldemort went to kill Harry in the forest didn't he manage to kill him? Was it Lilly's protection again or something different?

I really didn't get the last chapter when Harry killed Voldemort - just didn't get the Elder wand thing and who had it when and where it came from. If Dumbldore wasn't burried with it, who's wand did he take to grave with him and did no one realise????

Despite my confusion (It doesn't take much to get me confused) I really enjoyed tis book but HBP will always be my favorate.
Old 25-07-2007, 10:10   #3
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post

I didn't really understand the "Kings Cross" Chapter. I need someone to explain - did Harry die? was it heaven? and what exactly was the thrashing "being" under the seat? ( I do understand that it was Voldemort, but what had he become and why?) Questions for another thread maybe.

I also thought that Snape's memories that Harry saw needed to be stronger to convince Harry. Ok, we found out that he loved Lilly, but didn't we know that already? Were Snape's memories really convincing enough for harry to change his opinion of him within that short space of time? I thought JK could have gone into more details.

Why, when Voldemort went to kill Harry in the forest didn't he manage to kill him? Was it Lilly's protection again or something different?

I really didn't get the last chapter when Harry killed Voldemort - just didn't get the Elder wand thing and who had it when and where it came from. If Dumbldore wasn't burried with it, who's wand did he take to grave with him and did no one realise????

Despite my confusion (It doesn't take much to get me confused) I really enjoyed tis book but HBP will always be my favorate.

I will try my best....
Harry didnt die after Voldemort blasted him with AK in forest. This also leads to your Elder wand Question, so let me be in order.....
Elder wand originally was held by the elder brother of the three brothers. Elder wand, therefore was known, as one of the Hallows. The Elder wand was then stolen from the elder brother by someone who killed him in his sleep.
The story fast forwards to where DD and Grindelwald are looking for the Hallows for different desires. Finally Grindelwald returns with Elder wand. Elder wand is a very powerful wand, and only does its bidding for its true owner. Grindelwald was defeated by Dumbledore, so Elder wand became Dumbledore's wand. When Dumbledore was disarmed by Draco in HBP on that tower at the end, Draco became the rightful owner of Elder wand. Snape killed DD, but Elder wand was already Draco's, so Snape wasnt the owner of Elder wand.
With me so far?
Ok, now Harry defeats Draco in Malfoy Manor while he is trying to escape with Ron, Hermione, Dobby, that goblin (forgot his name), and Olivander. So Harry becomes the rightful owner of the Elder wand.
You see, You dont have to be in possession of the Elder wand to be its right owner. As long as you defeated the owner of the Elder wand, you become the new rightful owner.
So when Voldemort grabs that Elder wand from DD's tomb, he thinks that DD is the owner, which is wrong. Even Snape is not the owner, as Voldemort thinks later. The true owner is Harry, because as I described above, he defeated Draco to become the owner of the Elder wand.

Now Voldemort casts killing curse on Harry with that Elderwand, which is rightfully Harry's. So the Elder wand doesnt kill Harry, but kills that Horcrux inside him. In that situation, DD comes to Harry in his mind, to explain him the whole thing. He also tells him that either he can go back, or chose to die. But Harry decides to come back.
Now if you observe, after Harry comes back and pretends to be dead, what ever curse Voldemort casts, is not following through. Voldemort tries to body bind Neville, but he breaks free, and kills the Nagini (snake). He also tries to kill/stun people inside Hogwarts before last fight with Harry, but those all curses and spells dont go through. Then finally he tries to kill Harry again with Elder wand, which ends up killing Voldemort himself, by a rebound from Expelliarmus casted by Harry.

I hope I explained it properly.......

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw

Last edited by cagedcactus; 25-07-2007 at 10:24.. Reason: grammer
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 12:02   #4
frodobaggins
TFH Graduate

thats not what i deduced from the forest scene.

what i thougt happened is voldemort really did kill harry and the horcrux and harry then went "beyond the veil". once there he talks to DD who says he can either stay dead or go back because of how he died. because he died not trying to defend himself knowing that he had to die for the greater good and did so even though it meant his death and that sacrifice let him come back.

idk thats what i got does it make sense?
frodobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 12:17   #5
Horntail88
TFH Graduate

I thought the book brought good closure to the series, but I was disappointed with the Epilogue. After introducing so many charactesr, each with their own storylines, granted it's hard to conclude for everyone, but I felt it was too sparse with information. All we learn of their future lives is who got married to who and the relationship between their kids. Nothing is said of a LOT of the characters...what Luna/other members of the DA are up to, if Weasley's Wizard Wheezes is still up-and-running, what happened to the REST of the Weasleys, etc. etc. I think, if she left off the Epilogue, I would have been satisfied to imagine my own endings, but what she gave us still leaves it vague as to the situation of Wizard-Muggle relations after the Voldemort era.
Horntail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 13:07   #6
Piper
TFH Graduate

I wasn't happy with this book, this ending to the series. I am happy for those of you who are, but I can't get there.

I said in another thread earlier that I was going to be disappointed if it were just a case of Snape killing Dumbledore because Dumbledore was dying anyway, and so I am. I always felt that would be too obivous of an answer.

Sure I made predictions that weren't the case, but this isn't sour grapes over my own predictions, I could have easily have been happy being wrong with a more unpredictable storyline. With a more in character cast.

I expected more from the Order of the Phoenix than for them to all stand around practically wring their hands and allow Snape to walk around openly and head Hogwarts while all believeing that he had murdered Dumbledore in cold blood. I didn't buy the explanations for this. It seemed out of character, and since she went with Regulus as RAB, it was really out of character for Hermonie not to have picked up on this right away, and remembered that locket.

And then there is Lupin who was so reluctant to even pair up with Tonks, having a baby!!! Right in the middle of the war, knowing what a rough time both Harry and Neville had growing up because their auror parents had died fighting. Again, out of character.

And I thought the worst thing was that she killed off Tonks and Lupin without even giving them the courtesy of a description of the battle. It seems to me that she was done writing, and had to go back and kill off a couple of more people so it wouldn't look like a complete fluff happily ever after fairy tale, so she picked them.

As I have said in another thread, I expected much more of a master plan from Dumbledore. For everything to have gone pretty well the simple way, ie RAB and Dumbledore having been dying anyway, our trio sure spent a lot of time bumbling around blindly running into clues.

I thought the twist of having Dumbledore and Grindewald former best friends was brilliant, it made so much sense how a mind equal to his own would have so appealed to Dumbledore, but there was minimal detail given to that.

There was scant detail given to the Snape/Lily relationship as well.

As far as the Harry as an accidental Horcrux, I really think it was an awful stretch. You have to really concentrate to apparate, you have to really concentrate to make a patromus, but oops Voldemort accidentally made Harry a Horcux?

I agree with another member, Paintball, who has a website, she was surely heading somewhere else with this at some point. Just look at the hints that she gave, and the answers to questions, and how many of them were off, either only slightly touched on, or completely ignored, or contradicted. Look at how unclear things are to everyone.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:12   #7
Rory
TFH Graduate

I was really disappointed with the "Harry is an ACCIDENTAL Horcrux."

And that LV couldn't kill Harry, because LV had some of Harry's blood in himself, so that kept Harry's mother's sacrifice alive acting as an artificial Horcrux somehow because Harry didn't defend himself.... Just too convoluted.

I also want to know what happened to Luna, the rest of the Weasleys, Olivander, etc. etc. etc. When Neville pulled Goderic's sword out of the hat (Shades of COS) I was almost expecting Griphook to still be clinging to it.

But all in all - It's been a wonderful ride.
Old 26-07-2007, 03:43   #8
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodobaggins View Post
thats not what i deduced from the forest scene.

what i thougt happened is voldemort really did kill harry and the horcrux and harry then went "beyond the veil". once there he talks to DD who says he can either stay dead or go back because of how he died. because he died not trying to defend himself knowing that he had to die for the greater good and did so even though it meant his death and that sacrifice let him come back.

idk thats what i got does it make sense?
I diagree.
When Harry asks Dumbledore, whether he is dead or not, DD clearly says that Harry is not dead. There is no mention of veil anywhere in the DH, so we cant just assume one.
the reason Voldemort couldnt kill Harry, was.....
- Harry was carrying Voldemort's horcrux. That horcrux was killed with that AK.
- Voldemort was using Elder wand on Harry. Harry at that time was the true master of Elder wand.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 09:42   #9
Flyboy
I'm a N00b

I agree whole heartedly with Cagedcactus, (Thanks for the explanation), it makes perfect sence, the horcrux in harry actually protected him from being killed in the forest because the Elder wand wouldn't kill Harry as he was it's rightfull owner but it did kill of the part of Voldermort's soul in Harry at the time and then the second time Voldemort tried to kill Harry in the Hall, the wand detected only Harry and so the spell back fired.

Thanks again cagedcactus !

I really did think the Snape/Lilly thing was weak.

I think the reason JK didn't go into too much detail about characters in the epilogue was because she has said her Encyclopedia will include details such as these. She hasn't even started writting it yet though so I reckon it'll be years yet !
Old 26-07-2007, 10:14   #10
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Overall I did like the book.

Some of the chapters seemed almost forced and a few old characters that did come back really had nothing to do. (viktor krum for example)

I can whole-heartedly accept the Harry is a horcrux. I always assumed he was one anyway given the connection between him and Voldy.

Chapter 34 is my favorite. It had a range of emotions and seeing Harry face that final walk with his family about killed me.

Snape and Lilly was in my opinion kind of lame. I still can't accept that Snape would love her that much and he would be willing to do all he did because of her. She apparently didn't even love him back. She was from I gather just a real good friend to him. I would have rather seen an unbreakable vow between them or something.

I do agree that it was hard to picture Snape as Headmaster and all the other professors there. Wouldn't you think one of them would have rebelled or somehow over thrown Snape or something? I didn't really get it.

Loved Neville! He really became quite the hero!

Lupin was one of my favorite characters in the book. I hoped for better things for him. I was surprised he married Tonks so quickly after Dumbledores death, especially because he was so strongly against it. I guess there was more to them than we thought.

Overall though the book was a good read. What I think happens sometimes is you get so hyped up on theories and your own ideas that you tend to get let down when the characters don't behave or do what you thought they would do. After all this is JK's world and she has exclusive rights to the fate and behavior of the characters!

I give the book 8 out 10!