Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-02-2005, 06:08   #11
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Where Do House Elves Come From?

That's sort of the way it seemed from what Fred was saying - that a house elf wouldn't be caught in their house, so it almost sounds like the house elf could choose to inhabit a big house and is then subject to the whims of the wizards who live there.

But yeah, if the house elves had children, it would then seem that their children are automatically enslaved in the same house as their parents.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 06:12   #12
Tinkerbell
Graduating

So Boingy, are you saying that the house elves move into the houses before wizards do, and (a bit like the ghoul in the Weasley attic) they are part and parcel of the funiture, and when wizards move in it is expected that the elves serve them as their masters? It does actually sound quite a good theory here hun!!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 07:06   #13
Nagini
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
Ok I'll quit acting like a hormonal teenager.
I wasn't meaning you Mere mate you are a teenager after all.

Another thing that got my attention on this, I was watching CoS on DVD yesterday and Lucius Malfoy nearly performed the AK curse on Harry when Harry managed to set Doby free. Lucius said to Harry "You've lost me my servant" If they are that rich, they could just go buy a House Elf which makes me think that they can't just go get another one and that Doby came with the house. Especially because he got so angry he was willing to perform the AK curse.

As for House Elfs having families, in the Victorian days and I am sure before and after that. Servants usually applied for jobs as a man and wife team, perhaps as a cook and a gardner so they could stay together. They quite often met and got married to each other because they worked in the same house. I wonder if it was the same for House Elfs in that way?

Mrs Black cut off the heads of her House Elfs when they got too old to carry her tea trays. So house elfs were not given the right of burial or maybe it depended on house to house or maybe Mrs Black was a severe control freak?
Old 30-03-2005, 17:01   #14
Haley's Comet
Mature Graduates

It's my belief that a house elf is tied to the family it serves, and not to the house.
On the subject of house elves multiplying, perhaps they must ask permission from their masters before they could begin? I'm sure this brings a smirk or two from some of you out there, but if you think about it, this would be a powerful tool that the master could use against the elf to CONTROL THEIR POPULATION. Mrs. Black did indeed cut off the heads of her elves when they couldn't perform their tasks any longer. We know that there are no laws that protect the house elf, even against murder by their masters. Dobby says that things were worse under the rule of voldemort. I shudder to think just how much worse it could have been, and will it begin to get worse for the house elves as voldemort gets stronger and stronger?
Haley's Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 13:15   #15
Alz
Head Unspeakable

*Blaise Smirks - and wonders if he ever told you what **** means - it kinda seems relevant right now*
Fornication under consent of master - it does seem to raise a smile - but I am warped ...
I wont even begin to tell you what visions I have and wonder nay pray JKR never explores the possiblity.
You know it is actually a good point - who would have thought of the wizarding world as magical, living, breathing birth control
Sorry I can't take this serious - it just makes me laugh each time I read this thread
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 16:08   #16
Haley's Comet
Mature Graduates

Blaise.....just stop it, right now!!!! My word, my poor sides are A-C-H-I-N-G!!
Oh, just the thought of JKR exploring the very possiblility!!!!!!!!!!
Would anyone care to add to our warped sense of humor?
Old 26-04-2005, 08:44   #17
Haley's Comet
Mature Graduates

I had always thought that the house elf served the family and not the house but after perusing some of the other H.P. fanfic sites and reading other opinions, there appears to be a strong case that the house elf could be bound to the house it serves. Now, if that is the case, is an elf released from the house in which it serves once it's given it's freedom? I suppose it would be released and would have nowhere to go. Dobby was very fortunate in returning to Hogwarts and being given a job there, because he said in GOF that he searched the country for two years looking for work and could find none. I'm still wondering how he turned up in book 4 though. He should not have shown until book 5, so I'm still wondering where he was the whole time during the third year.
One more thing, I do wonder where all the house elves go once they've been given clothes and their freedom? Perhaps some of them walk the streets of Hogsmeade on the verge of living a life of crime? Penny for you're thoughts.

"I'm your huckleberry."