Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 28-10-2004, 08:28   #11
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Chamber of Secrets - What are They?

Very interesting theory about the new eggs. I guess that I'm not sure if the basilisk itself can then give birth to other basilisks or if the only way to get them is through the chicken egg under a toad.

I have wondered about that toad, though, and this is an interesting way to have it worked into the story. I thought at first that it might just be a way to show how behind the times and uncool Neville is (as we find out that no one has toads anymore at the beginning of PS/SS). Perhaps there is more, though, and I like this idea!!

Another interesting point about Nagini perhaps linked in there - I think this merits more discussion as we know nothing about where Nagini came from and I think that perhaps the link to snakes and Salazar Slytherin is one that needs to be explored further.

Thanks for the great ideas, guys!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:02   #12
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
Very interesting theory about the new eggs. I guess that I'm not sure if the basilisk itself can then give birth to other basilisks or if the only way to get them is through the chicken egg under a toad.
yes i have also read somewhere about the egg laying's story. and the only toad to be seen is the Navielle's.
but going back to the topic where it started, i have a feeling, there might be many.
why jkr has chosen secretS, y not secret. secondly, she herself has said, that HBP is a continuation of CoS. so may be we are going to hear some more.
lets see, the first one is obviously basilisk. its eggs can be something.
then about Tom Riddle/Lord Voldemort.
also, about the chamber's location.
then the diary is also there......... may be we have something in store just like diary...
it also shows that volde has found many of the ways to save him from death.
what more???
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 22:00   #13
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

I think what needs to be done here, is to read the descriptions of everything in the chamber very carfeully, and list them. There has to be something else there!

I am afraid to agree that poor old Trevor may have done the deed with the chicken egg, even if by force. Surely Riddle wouldn't have been so arrogant as to think nobody could defeat the Basilisk? So really there could be many baby Basilisks down there waiting to come out. Hey, it could be the reason why no one has gone back in there yet.

'Harry, after you came out of the Chamber, myself and a few other professors decided to take a look around. Unfortunately we came across a nest...we need you to come down and control them, as, after three years lying in wait, being hatched by poor Trevor, there are hundreds of baby Basilisks in need of a mother...'

Or, of course, Nagini could be a young Basilisk...
Old 11-05-2005, 02:43   #14
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

If Nagini were a young basilisk, I think she would have killed someone by looking at them by now...

I know that JKR has said that the only traces left of HBP in CoS are bits of foreshadowing, and I am wondering if part of it isn't Riddle's diary and other steps that he took. Maybe it's as simple as that. I don't know, maybe, maybe not...
Old 02-12-2006, 12:33   #15
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

Maybe the chamber holds a horcrux?, its certainly possible seeing as Tom riddle killed his father and grandparents whilst at school?, although I dont think he knew how to make horcruxes at that time?.
Perhaps thats why Riddle wanted to come back to the school in O.o.T.P., to hide a horcrux in the chamber? It would be well protected by the basilisk, and its location would be impossible to reach unless you were a parselmouth, and you discovered its location?.
Very possible indeed, I want to hear what anyone thinks....
secret seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 17:37   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

.. well in effect it did didnt it - the diary ended up in there and the diary was a horcrux ...
Now here is the thing - we know that horcruxes dont appear to communicate and the person who owns them is unaware of their fate once the soul is removed from the person - so sure, there could be one down there - but I think the relevance was more the fact Slytherin himself created it ...

It could be young Riddle decided to conceal a piece of his soul there during the school life and his finding out about horcruxes ... maybe I should re-read that part and see if there are any references to an object that may have missed the mind at my last time of reading it - if there is one there - JKR would have made clues to it you can be sure!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 17:51   #17
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

I would have thought there was more to the C.o.S., not that I can see Jo going back there, but if it only held the basic, "heir of slytherin/basilisk" secret, wouldnt it be better titled " the secret chamber " ?.