Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 10-10-2004, 16:18   #1
Boing
Pops in randomly

Chamber of Secrets - What are They?

So, the name of the Chamber is the Chamber of Secrets - emphasis on the plural secrets. My question is what are the other secrets that are hidden in there? These will probably come to play a role in the future books as I believe we have heard the Chamber will be opened again.

What do you guys think will be found in there? What other secrets does the Chamber hold?

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:16   #2
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Chamber of Secrets - What are They?

Well what seems apparent is it was a resurrection point for Voldemort and I would be inclined to say that it may also hold a death point as well ... but I am sure we have heard it will be used in HBP - as such it cant be that book and that point he dies - I don't think that Voldemort will loose his body again so soon ...

We had the statues of Slytherin and we also had the Basilisk - so those aren't really secrets... so why would Salazar go to the trouble of constructing a chamber in the bowls of the school - only allow a descendant to open it?

I will be totally honest - I have no real idea why it was such a secret and what else it could hold - I think we have all moved on past it - but I cant help but feel that is a mistake and given the remarks of JKR, it deserves a re-visit ...
I will have to re-read the chapters again because right now I am stumped ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 16:19   #3
Tonks
Unspeakable

Maybe it just sounded better than "Chamber of Secret".

Anyway, if you think about it there really is more than one secret. There's the secret of who the Heir of Slytherin is, what the monster in the Chamber actually was, and where the Chamber was located, plus some.

Perhaps it contains some secret information on Tom's childhood. We know that he grew up in a Muggle orphanage. Obviously wouldn't be the ideal place to be alone or keep anything that's yours. Maybe he has something his mother left to him that he hid there. Just, that would be the perfect hiding spot for anything personal that you never want anyone else to see.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 16:28   #4
SeleneBlack
Mature Graduates

Is it possible that the chamber is where Tom learned most of his powers? Or at least could have found a source for power there? I have a theory that it was during his Hogwarts years when Tom became evil. I'm not really sure anyone is born evil; something or someone makes them that way and perhaps finding a source of power and/or secrets of his past might have swayed Tom? Maybe Harry will have to find the same source of power in order to defeat Voldemort? I think the chamber could also hold secrets about Slytherine lineage which will be important to the story.
SeleneBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 16:39   #5
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeleneBlack
I think the chamber could also hold secrets about Slytherine lineage which will be important to the story.
I am really, really leaning towards this theory. I like the idea, just because Slytherin must have spent a lot of time in that Chamber, just to build it, not to mention hiding it, and the secrets that it contains. I think that Slytherin might have left behind clues about himself, that may be important...
Old 19-10-2004, 12:02   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well, unless there are extra parts to it we werent painted in the books or the film - it just seemed so benign as a location - but that isnt to say that magic isnt strong in the location ...
I feel that the statues that were located where the Basilisk emerged from might have been significant - why would a person build statues to himself in there?
Also - hightly specualtive - but given the basilisk - I wonder if snakes are a big part here and perhaps we found where Nagini come from - and has been their since the Salazar days?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 20-10-2004, 11:50   #7
Tinkerbell
Graduating

This brings me to something I have speculated on for some time - whether the basilisk ever 'laid eggs' whilst down there for so many years? Was the fact that the roosters crow could kill it anything to do with the fact that the egg had to be a chicken's egg? Could Trevor, Neville's toad, the fact that he was always going missing, relevant, bearing in mind the egg has be hatched under a toad?

So saying this (in a round about way!) I think that we have not yet seen the last of the Chamber (or chambers) or the last of the secrets they hold!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 13:17   #8
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
This brings me to something I have speculated on for some time - whether the basilisk ever 'laid eggs' whilst down there for so many years? Was the fact that the roosters crow could kill it anything to do with the fact that the egg had to be a chicken's egg? Could Trevor, Neville's toad, the fact that he was always going missing, relevant, bearing in mind the egg has be hatched under a toad?
I am so compelled - Tinky can you explain that all again, but in more detail please ... I see you put stuff in there I must have overlooked and would love to know more details please, Thanky

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 20-10-2004, 13:31   #9
Tinkerbell
Graduating

OK....

We are told that Basilisks are bred by hatching a chickens egg beneath a toad.

In CoS, we are told that the crowing of the rooster can kill the Basilisk (hence the chicken run keeps being attacked, I think by Ginny, to protect the Basilisk)

Neville's toad, Trevor, often goes missing - indeed the first time we meet Hermione on the Hogwarts Express she is helping Neville to find him.

So, putting all these together, could it be that somewhere along the line, either the Basilisk (which I am assuming is a female, as in Fantastic Beasts it is noted that the male has a scarlet plume upon its head, and I don't think this was mentioned in CoS) 'laid' an egg (whatever reptiles do) during the many years it was apparently hidden in the Chamber;

OR Ginny stole a chicken's egg from the run when she was 'killing' the roosters, then also 'borrowed' Trevor in order to hatch said egg.

Hope this makes a bit more sense!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 13:38   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Wow, that is awesome!
Gosh it can be a real suprise some of the stuff you miss - and apart from the Rooster part I had no idea about the rest

That is just amazin!
But scary that Nevilles trusted pet could be working for the other side
But all the same, cheers Tinky - I so missed all of that

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536