Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 16-04-2005, 19:24   #21
Athena
Graduating

Re: Why didn't Dumbledore notice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Hermione is very good at making associations between clues - we have seen her do it many times ..
I refer to the point made by Tonky - that fact that Hermione worked out that behind the walls are pipes - and that Myrtle died in those bathrooms was a leap - but not unheard of by her standards ...
I don't mean to pick apart a great discussion, but Hermione didn't find out where the COS was, only that the monster was a basilisk and was using the pipes to move throughout the school. Ron and Harry figured out where the COS was by using the information from Aragog -- that a student was killed in the bathroom.
And the information they received from the paper in Hermione's hand.

Quote:
I think the removes away from the point and that being the questioning of Dumbledores actions - he of all people should have gotten a bit more on an indication of what was going on there because he had past knowledge and what's more - he knows how to keep a check on everything that is going on in his school.
I still feel the fact he never went back and asked Harry or indeed Fawkes to take him there is either a huge over-view by JKR or she wanted to use it again!
It does remain a great point that you all brought up regarding Dumbledore.

On the other hand, the Monster that lived and was released from the COS was indeed killed. There wasn't a real threat left inside the Chamber anymore. The Basilisk was killed by Harry.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 09:39   #22
Boing
Pops in randomly

Just because the monster was killed, does that mean that there aren't other things in there that should be checked out? I mean, if a basilisk was living there, inside a big, carved-out face of Salazar Slytherin, isn't it possible that there are other things in there? I am one that is clinging to the idea that it is the Chamber of Secrets in a plural sense and there is still something in there.

And, I agree with what others have said that Dumbledore should have probed further.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 09:50   #23
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Agreed Boingy

Thing is - it was a Chamber of Secrets not just secret.
There is still a huige deal to investigate there - i mean this location was hidden away and no-one had access to it unless they were an heir - I think that the things contained inside are more worthy than just - well there was an issue but Harry killed the Basilisk, Riddle didnt suceed so lets all forget it ...
There might be a reason Dumbledore cant go in there - as in he really cant get in there for some reason!
I wonder if there is 'something' in place that stops Dumbledore getting in there - a reason he never invesitgated it was because he couldnt!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 15:02   #24
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

That's a good point, Blaise. I'd think Dumbledore would be curious about what Salazar Slytherin had down there. Also, I can't imagine what the smell would be like of that huge, dead snake decomposing under the castle. I'd think Dumbledore would want to go down and clean up a bit.

Also, we only know of a portion of the chamber. It could be there was many things of interest and knowledge locked down there. I'd think Dumbledore would have wanted to investigate in case he found something that would have given him deeper insight into Voldemort. I'd assume Tom Riddle spent some time down there when he was at Hogwarts - maybe there's something there that Dumbledore could use or that would give Harry added knowledge about how to fight Voldemort.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 21:44   #25
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

How do we know that Dumbledore didn't look into the Chamber, or that he couldn't? We know that it isn't only the Heir of Slytherin that can find it, because Harry could open it, and although he has some of Voldemort's powers, that doesn't make him the Heir of Slytherin. True, he would need to find another Parseltongue to get into the Chamber, but I'm still attempting to figure out where he could have found one

I do have to echo the thoughts that there are more things hidden in the Chamber. I am really liking the idea that there could be something hidden in the part where the Basilisk was locked. We know Harry didn't go in there, and I like the theory that perhaps pretty far back in the Chamber could be an area with some of Salazaar Slytherins belongings...
Old 18-04-2005, 12:07   #26
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think if Dumbledore could have gotten in there - it would have become a source of great interest to him - and it wouldnt have been ignored like it was ...
I really think that he cant get in there - something Salazar put in place to stop the other founders or just anyone stumbling in there.
But see this doesnt excuse him asking Harry to take him in there ...
I think we have a plot hole or maybe a clue - why wasnt it properly investigated even 50 years ago - I think there wasnt as much knowledge back then maybe but Dumbledore isnt stupid - it's almost like he wants the heir to return
I know that sounded DiE - but what could be the reasons for just letting it all go - and such and important place!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 19-04-2005, 04:43   #27
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

It could be that JKR is going to use the chamber again. Sure, to our knowledge Dumbledore didn't go down there, but then we only know what Harry knows, which a lot of the time, isn't much.

I'd think it would be interesting if all the founders had their own chamber. It would probably be just as interesting to go to Godric Gryffindor's chamber, or even one of the other founders - the possibilities of what might be there could make good future plot twists. But this is all information that we won't know if Harry doesn't know.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Old 19-04-2005, 08:51   #28
Boing
Pops in randomly

It seems that finding a Parseltongue is quite rare - and even that Tom Riddle might have been the first one in hundreds of years to go to Hogwarts. So, if that is the case, Dumbledore really might not have had access to a Parseltongue. As for other founders having chambers, I don't think it's quite likely as I think we found out that Salazar made his specifically when he moved away from the rest of the crew . . . it wasn't something that everyone had done and he had just put something horrible in his.

Fortescue brings up a good point, though. If Harry doesn't know about it, neither will we. So, perhaps Dumbledore has gone into the chamber since Harry's second year. This is completely hypothetical, but what if you actually had to tell the Chamber to close itself using Parselmouth? We didn't see Harry doing that, so maybe it stayed open and Dumbledore and some others have been down there looking around and we have just not yet heard.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 02:01   #29
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I had never thought of that, Boingy. Since the chamber incident, Harry hasn't gone back into Moaning Myrtles bathroom. To our knowledge no one has. It could be that the entrance to the chamber is still open and Dumbledore and Snape have gone down there many times. I'd think it would be something that historians would want documented considering all they had before was speculation about it's existence. Since Harry is already in many books about You-Know-Who, I'd assume the actual existence of the chamber and what's down there would be another chapter in those books. What would Hogwarts: A History be without the complete information of the Chamber of Secrets now that that information is available.

Sybil Trelawney
Old 30-04-2005, 14:15   #30
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
It seems that finding a Parseltongue is quite rare - and even that Tom Riddle might have been the first one in hundreds of years to go to Hogwarts. So, if that is the case, Dumbledore really might not have had access to a Parseltongue. As for other founders having chambers, I don't think it's quite likely as I think we found out that Salazar made his specifically when he moved away from the rest of the crew . . . it wasn't something that everyone had done and he had just put something horrible in his.

Fortescue brings up a good point, though. If Harry doesn't know about it, neither will we. So, perhaps Dumbledore has gone into the chamber since Harry's second year. This is completely hypothetical, but what if you actually had to tell the Chamber to close itself using Parselmouth? We didn't see Harry doing that, so maybe it stayed open and Dumbledore and some others have been down there looking around and we have just not yet heard.
Dumbledore has access to Harry now - yet we still have not seen him exploit this chance to go take a look around?

I think it is a possible plot hole - because if JKR introduces it again like we are told she will - then I will be the first person with the hand up in the air asking why Dumbledore didnt have Harry open it again!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536