Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 09-05-2005, 15:51   #31
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: Why didn't Dumbledore notice....

When you think about the clues we've discussed so far regarding HBP, and the fact that JKR is going to now have two books to tie up all her loose ends; maybe the time that Harry spends away from the Dursley's this coming summer will be significant to all these questions. What if Dumbledore rescues Harry from Privet Drive and takes him on a discovery trip? It's high time someone lets the boy, and us, in on some of the mysteries of what's really going on.

There are so many possibilities of how Harry finds out the truth about everything; maybe reopening the chamber and taking a stroll around it with Dumbledore is one of those discoveries. As I said before, we don't know that Dumbledore hasn't been down there, but it's possible that there are other sections of the chamber that he can't get open without the aid of a parselmouth ---- as Boingy mentioned - to our knowledge the only one around is Harry. I'd think above all else, Harry himself would be a little curious about what else might be down there besides the big, dead snake. He is so curious about everything else. I'd think he'd have gone down there again himself by now

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 21:56   #32
Alz
Head Unspeakable

OK to clarify here ..
If the Chamber did hold significance, if Dumbledore had been down there to discover them - then JKR stating this later on would see like a 'hold out'.
I dont think JKR would be so cheap in her writing - it has all been about hiding the clues here and there and us having to find them.
As such - if he had been down there I am sure we would have seen some indicators to this.
If we do finally hear of Dumbledore taking trips down there - and then telling Harry it would seem so inconsitant since it was raised and then died back in book 2 - to bring it back would require the re-emergence of Voldemort at Hogwarts or Harry needing to go back in there for some reason.
I still think one is a distinct possiblity
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 22:14   #33
Athena
Graduating

I don't know... I know legends don't always tell the whole truth, but Binns said there was (according to the legend) A monster. There really isn't anything to suggest that there is anything more to it.I think that the Chamber part of the series is over and done. Another hurdle for Harry so to speak. I don't think that they will go back there in the story.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 22:32   #34
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

JKR has said the Chamber will be revisited, didn't she? In some way...

What if DD really did find something down there, that was either too horrible, or way too important for a student to know? He has kept secrets before, and there have been hints at this that some of us didn't recognise until we were told about them.
Subtlety, is one of JKR's greatest gifts, throwing things in where we can dismiss them easily. I must look over the conversations Dumbledore has had after Harry came out of the Chamber...
Old 10-05-2005, 22:44   #35
Athena
Graduating

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashlie
JKR has said the Chamber will be revisited, didn't she? In some way...
I admit I haven't read all the interviews with JKR, and could be totally wrong, but I thought she had referred to the Half-Blood Prince subplot in COS.

What I did read didn't mention going back into the Chamber. Again I could very well be wrong on this.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 00:00   #36
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

LOL, Athena, so could I!! I'll do a search and see what I could find. Perhaps we just assume that as HBP ties with CoS, that it means they'll go into the chamber. Of course, it could just mean that Lockhart comes back or the Basilisk...
Old 11-05-2005, 19:29   #37
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena
I admit I haven't read all the interviews with JKR, and could be totally wrong, but I thought she had referred to the Half-Blood Prince subplot in COS.

What I did read didn't mention going back into the Chamber. Again I could very well be wrong on this.
That is indeed correct - JKR said that stuff contained in CoS will be relevant in the later books - not sure she stated all out that we will see it again.
I am sure there was something on her website that might contradict this - but I would need to spend some time looking - but to recall I am sure she said details contained in CoS will re-emerge in HBP

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 25-05-2005, 13:01   #38
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Here is the one excerpt I found regarding JKR making a connection between HBP and CoS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRK Edinburgh Book Festival 8/15/04
Sometimes it was really easy and the title came naturally out of the plot. Sometimes it was a bit of a struggle. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets had different titles. In fact, as everyone now knows, it was once called Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, but then I removed a whole storyline that did not work at all. It gave too much information too early, so I pulled it out and it became a major part, but not the only part, of book six. There is no trace of that storyline left in Chamber of Secrets. People have been speculating that book six is a spinoff of book two, but it is not.
Regarding us not knowing if Dumbledore ever went into the chamber after Harry killed the basilisk, the only way we would know is if Dumbledore told Harry as we only learn what Harry learns. If Dumbledore didn't tell Harry, then we wouldn't know and JKR could work it in as another admission by Dumbledore at a later time and it wouldn't seem like a cheap shot to us readers.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:01   #39
Alz
Head Unspeakable

OK, I like your last point.
True - we see things via Harry - so you are indeed correct that Harry will only know if Dumbledore tells him.
But given what happened in CoS - you would have thought Dumbledore would have come to Harry if he did find something of value as he breezed through the chamber on his own right?
Either that - or the Chambers Secrets are all known now ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536