Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 11-03-2005, 18:55   #1
Boing
Pops in randomly

Why Didn't Hagrid Tell Someone?

I was just thinking about how in CoS, when Hagrid is taken away, he says,

"If anyone wanted ter find some stuff , all they'd have ter do would be ter follow the spiders . That'd lead 'em right! That's all I'm sayin'."

We also find out that Aragog begged Hagrid to let him leave the school when he sense the beast in the Chamber. He says that Hagrid asked him many times to tell him what the beast was, but he refused as he never wanted to say its name.

Okay, so my question is, if Hagrid sent the boys down there, he must have known that Aragog would give them the information he did. So, why didn't he bring Dumbledore down there at some point? Why not give what information he did have to Dumbledore? Couldn't someone have figured out what creature a spider fears above all others?

Even if Hagrid didn't want to say where he got the information, he could have gone to Dumbledore or someone and asked given them what he had . . . it just seems strange that he never shared the information with anyone before, but then sends two young boys to Aragog, seemingly expecting them to figure it all out . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:28   #2
Hermione
Auror

Re: Why Didn't Hagrid Tell Someone?

Didn't he say that when Dumbledore was present, at his arrest? So in a way he did say it to Dumbledore as well.

Did he connect the information? Perhpas he didn't tell Dumbledore because he didn't want to get into trouble, or maybe he didn't conect the beast with the Chamber. Hagrid knew that Aragog sensed a beats, but he didn't know where or what is was. Maybe he just made the conection then.
Old 13-03-2005, 03:27   #3
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

i think, he must have told dd about it. otherwise how would dd trust him and make him stay as keeper.
secondly, i think, he has given the message only to the trio. not to dd. if i am not wrong, dd was also taken to the ministry........... but i am not too sure. i will have to check.
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 05:10   #4
Boing
Pops in randomly

Okay, so I guess if Hagrid *did* tell Dumbledore about what the spider sensed was in the building, why didn't Dumbledore do something about it?? I mean, seriously, if you have all the information about the beast from Aragog, but just not the name, how difficult would it be to get some of those smart professors together and figure out it was a basilisk? And then go back to the place where the girl died and thoroughly search it?

Now, what is interesting to think about as well is that, while it is possible that they could have cut through the sink and exposed the pipes underneath and not needed a Parselmouth to open it for them, could they have made it into the Chamber itself without a Parselmouth? I'm sure the door had some sort of magical properties surrounding it that would have made it very difficult . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 13-03-2005, 07:08   #5
Hermione
Auror

I think they needed a Parselmouth, the heir of slytherin would have been the only one able to get in. That means Voldemort, and now since he transfered his gift into Harry, Harry can.

I don't know if Dumbledore made that connection. One of Hermione's most useful contributions is her wide bases of fact knowledge and her brain's ability to make conections. I don't know if Dumbledore would have seen that.
Old 13-03-2005, 17:38   #6
Boing
Pops in randomly

Okay, so here's where I'm going here - if Hagrid had told Dumbledore about what Aragog said/heard/felt, and Dumbledore had taken some precautions, they probably could have found the entrance to the Chamber - even if they could open it. And then, when the news flies around the school that Harry is a Parselmouth, why not bring him in and see what he can do?

Even if Dumbledore couldn't figure it out on his own, doesn't he owe it to the children of the school to enlist the help of other knowledgeable people such as the other professors? Couldn't the group of them have figured it out?

Plus, they were all so eager to talk to the Petrified people to see if one of them could say who had done the Petrifying . . . why hadn't anyone talked to Moaning Myrtle about how she died??? Just seems like a huge oversight on the part of the professors . . . I suppose it wouldn't have made for a good novel, but still, it bugs me.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 14-03-2005, 00:44   #7
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I highly doubt that Hagrid told Dumbledore about Aragog. He wanted him to remain safe, as monsterous creatures are what he cares for most, and he would have wanted him to be free. Also, if Dumbledore had found out that it was an Acromantula that Hagrid was keeping as a pet, he would have known that it couldn't have been the monster that was petrifying, and finally killed Moaning Myrtle, and Hagrid would never have been expelled or had his wand broken in the first place. I don't think that if Dumbledore knew what Hagrid was keeping there, he would have gotten anything other than a slap on the wrist, so most logic points to that he didn't tell Dumbledore ...
Old 14-03-2005, 05:23   #8
Boing
Pops in randomly

And that raises the question again of why he didn't tell anyone??? And I'm not just talking about in the past, but when the Petrified students started showing up again. Why didn't he say something then? It's just suspicious to me that he knew something and didn't share it when it could have saved some students . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 10-04-2005, 20:51   #9
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

I think Hagrid just didn't want to get into trouble. At school, he would have been expelled any way, for having Aragog, and even arrested, as I am sure it was illegal to have an Acromantula (sp?) at the school (or at all). And when it was opened again, Hagrid could still be arrested and sent to Azkaban, and he did not want that.
I don't think Dumbledore knew about Aragog, because he would have made Hagrid get rid of him. We saww this with Norbert.
Hagrid is a shy man, and not willing to get himself into too much trouble when he doesn't think it is necessary.

I just had a thought...Dumbledore might be keeping Hagrid on, knowing what he is like with secrets...part of his plan...I'll continue this on that thread....
Old 11-04-2005, 14:40   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Actually I am seeing this now ...
Dumbledore was around when the first attack took place - so was Hagrid.
So both of them knew the signs - not like people get petrified all the time right
So when 50 years later history repeated - why didnt Hagrid go see Aragog (Dude said Hagrid was free to come and go from his place) and why didnt Dumbledore figure out what was going on and react earlier?
I think there was a delay in reaction from both these characters - now I know this was needed to allows the story - but still you have to keep the characters plausible and the storyline constant
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote