Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 16-03-2005, 05:44   #11
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Is it all relative??

I was just thinking the same thing, WFF! You're right about that - she has said both of those things.

I never thought about Dumbledore meaning the "family" of Gryffindor in that quote. I guess because in the context, it really seems like he is talking about the houses - how Harry was so worried about the Sorting Hat trying to get him into Slytherin.

My question after reading this is could the heir of another of the founding members pull something else from the hat? Or was it just because the hat belonged to Godric that it came to Harry's aid with the sword? Completely hypothetical situation, but what if Tom Riddle had gone to the hat in the Chamber after Harry had pulled the sword out of it and pulled something of Slytherin's out of it? Is that possible?

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2005, 07:30   #12
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
Completely hypothetical situation, but what if Tom Riddle had gone to the hat in the Chamber after Harry had pulled the sword out of it and pulled something of Slytherin's out of it? Is that possible?
I don't think so...We know that the sorting hat was formerly GG's hat, and that the sword was GG's, and we also know that it was Fawkes that brought it to him. And from the book, the sword was not visible in the hat to Riddle. he said "This is what Dumbledore sends his defender? A song bird and an old hat?" so it must only be a Gryffindor that could have seen and used it. There is not enough to be certain that DD was reffering to the family instead of the house, but I strongly suspect it. You know, how only Arthur could pull Excaliber from the stone.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2005, 22:52   #13
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I know JK has said that there will be some things that realte to CoS from HBP, and I am liking the idea that the Heir of one of the Houses other than Gryffindor may be able to pull somthing out of the hat. I don't necessarily think that it will be the Heir of Slytherin, because I think we have seen the last of Tom Riddle, at least for HBP, but perhaps one of the Heirs of the other houses. It may just be that I am of the belief that all of the Heirs, other than Slytherin, are at Hogwarts right now, and I think that only if they band together can Voldemort be defeated....
Old 17-03-2005, 09:16   #14
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

hmmm I supose it could be a possibility, however I doubt it. there really hasn't been mutch mention of other houses, other than Slytherin in any signiicant role. but for the sake of exploration, Could Luna Lovegood be one of the other heirs? who would the other possibilities be?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 18-03-2005, 08:40   #15
Alz
Head Unspeakable

See I really hate this sweet sickly tie up that just makes for a predicatable ending to me.
I have debated this very point for years and althought the evidence is compelling that indeed Harry is a decendant of Godric and then of course we have the Half Blood decendant of Salazar - I dont know I just think it is lazy writing and I for one will be shocked if JKR pulls this out - I cant explain it - is just seems too much like a fairy tale - not suble or tracing in any way!
It just doesnt seem like JKR to be so predicatable - I mean it isnt even subtle the parallels we can draw between Harry and Godric and of course Voldemort and Salazar.
it just doesnt seem right that the final battle is that between the last decedants of the great founders of Hogwarts - it makes my toes curl just thinking about it!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 09:02   #16
Hermione
Auror

I don't necessarily think it is lazy writting. If she includes more than just that, which she will, then it is part of it. We may have reason to believe Harry is, but it may be someone else. And together, Harry and that someone else will fight Voldemort and defeat him.
Old 18-03-2005, 09:54   #17
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Blaise, I think we are running on the same track today I just can't believe that it could be all the Heirs of the house teaming up. We know that Harry is "the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord" The prophesy did not mention anyone else involved. Will Hary have help? most certainly, at least in learning the skills, spells etc. that he will need. Where will the help come from? I believe that is where GG may come in to play, as well as our other friends. JKR had been too clever in her writing thus far, to come to the end and make it simple! She plants seemingly inconspicuous objects and ideas, books before we realize their importance. If the houses were going to team up, wouldn't there be some suggestion of it already?

But...

What was the sorting hat's song at the begining of OOTP about??? could I be contradicting myself?

_Willy Wonka

Old 09-05-2005, 16:35   #18
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padma Patil
Just before that he says, "You want more proof that you belong in Gryffindor?".
(I don't know if that is the exact quote.)
What if he meant more than just the house Gryffindor, what if he meant the family of Gryffindor?

It would make sence to have the last remaining hier of Slytherin aka Voldemort and the last remaining hier of Gryffindor aka Harry, fight out the two's final battle.
Dumbledore told Harry, "Only a true Gryffindor could have pulled that out of the hat," in regards to Godric Gryffindor's sword. Also - "And so you met Tom Riddle," said Dumbledore thoughtfully. "I imagine he was most interested in you . . . " (Cos, pg 332) Why would Dumbledore say that? How would Tom Riddle's sixteen year old memory from fifty years earlier know anything about Harry Potter besides of what Ginny had told him during her conversations with Tom in the diary?

It could be that Dumbledore was talking about the fact that the name, "Potter," was known as the last descendents of Godric Gryffindor, and Tom Riddle being the last descendent of Salazar Slytherin would know this.

I don't think it's too far fetched to think that Harry is the final heir to Godric Gryffindor and that the battle between the two heirs of the most notable houses at Hogwarts would make for a corny ending. I think it's a great storyline that is depicted in many works of great literature - good vs evil - it's classic, really

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 21:59   #19
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I dont think it is unheard of - or indeed impossible.
I just feel from my own POV - that wouldnt be an ending I would like to see.
As I said it is a good possibility that could be the case - but I just think JKR has some bigger twists and turns.
But you are right - there is a lot of supporting information to the argument - I just dont like it
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 15:43   #20
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I guess I can voice my final point of evidence to support Tinks original post - - it is a quote I put in another thread somewhere that fits here perfectly -

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Book Day Chat
Jami: Is Harry related to Godric Gryffindor?
JK Rowling replies -> People are always wondering who Harry might be related to. Maybe he is
I think this is as close to a "yes" as you will ever get from JKR when she doesn't want to come right out an confirm something because it will come up later in the story. When asked if Harry is related to Snape, Voldemort, or Dumbledore she said "no" right away. I'd say this admission is as definite a yes as we will ever get.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote