Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Poll: Who should play Dumbledore?
Poll Options
Who should play Dumbledore?

Old 20-12-2005, 13:06   #11
Jimenem
Vampyre Elder

Location: Searching my soul for answers to questions that have yet to be asked.

Re: Who should play Dumbledore?

I didn't like Gambons performance in GoB. Not that he didn't look the part. . .he was just too aggressive, The real DD wouldn't grab Harry like he did, Gambons DD clearly lost his cool in that scene,. . . DD NEVER looses his cool, (unless he's drinking weird potions). Add that to the cluelessness Gambons DD seemed to maintain, and I just don't think Gambon's right for the part. I do agree that he will be a good choice for the duel between him and Voldy in OotP, is is more agile than Harris. But for the Kind, gentle, all knowing DD, Harris is the ONLY one to fit the bill. Too bad he can't. I'll just have to cope.
Old 21-12-2005, 04:10   #12
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
the great Richard Harris was also Irish
Actually I believe he was Welsh, like so many of the great British actors / performers. But they can be easily confused, after al there all celts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frozen North
Actually I believe he was Welsh, like so many of the great British actors / performers. But they can be easily confused, after al there all celts.
Ooooops!!!!! You were right, he was Irish (borne in Limerik) , but Harris is a very typically welsh name - I bet his parents were welsh

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy

Last edited by Alz; 21-12-2005 at 12:25..
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 12:25   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

LOL - yeah I read your first post first and I was all like 'Damn - he was Welsh '
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 21:41   #14
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frozen North
I can see Lloyd playing the nutty and kind parts of the DD role well but Christopher Lloyd being comanding and powerfull (and intelligent/brilliant).......nah!!!! I can't see anyone taking him seriously, he's not that good an actor. As far as nationality is concerned, a good voice coach should be able to sort that out.
Actually, Christopher Lloyd played a pretty bad Klingon in one of the original Star Trek movies.
HeleneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 05:29   #15
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleneB
Actually, Christopher Lloyd played a pretty bad Klingon in one of the original Star Trek movies.
Sorry, that was Christopher Plumber and besides, Kilingons are not known for their kindness and this role also requires that. Lloyd is good at quirky and crazy, maybee he can do kindness but I just can't see people taking him seriously in the role.

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
Old 25-12-2005, 11:48   #16
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Actualy that was Christopher Loyd in Startrek the Search for Spock. and as much as I love him in his comedic roles, he just wasn't Klingon enough for the role. I doubt that he would be taken entirely seriously in any forceful role. And he would be just a little too "eccentric" for Dumbledore I think.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 12:27   #17
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Ok but Christopher Plumber played a clingon too, don't remember which film right now but he played it darn well!!!!

Old 25-12-2005, 15:46   #18
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

OK, in Startrek III The Search for Spock Christopher Lloyd played the Klingon ship captain, Comander Kruge. Christopher Plummer was in Startrek VI The Undiscovered Country, he played General Chang, and YES he did play that role Quite well!!!! I could see him playing Dumbledore. . .I think he could carry the extremes, only thing is, he is Canadian, and JKR had made a big thing of actors being the nationality they are playing. . . So, I still vote for Stewart!

Go Stewart. . .

Go Stewart. . .

Go Stewart!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 26-12-2005, 01:57   #19
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Thanks for the info SPF, I was beginning to think I was going mad!!! I'm still voting for Stewart too (pity we can't cheat the system by voting more than once - darn that pesky Alz ) I agree that Plummer was good as a Klingon (especially when he started quoting Shakespeare and insisting that he was a great Klingon playwrite......lol at that one lots of times) but I never really considered him as DD material.

I do think that too many people have their opinions coloured in this vote / debate by what they have seen before (type casting) rather than looking at acting ability. Too many people think of McKellan because of his fantastic portrayal of Gandalf, but as the characters are so similar we don't really want people to think of DD as just a JKR rip off of Gandalf. He is his own character and I fear that too many people will, in years to come, confuse the two characters if both are to be played by McKellan. I think that many people look at Gambon as a good choice because they are not that bothered by who plays the role and despite him not being ideal (not being Richard Harris) they want to see continuity in the role.

I still say that Patrick Stewart has all the necessary acting ability and sense of humour to be the next best thing to Harris, and to those who worry about physical appearance, not only can make-up do wonders, Gambon bears absolutely no resemblance to Harris and yet people still accepted him in the role (for appearance if not character portrayal).

Stewart for Dumbledore

Old 26-12-2005, 10:01   #20
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well TFN, you and I seem to be spot on in our thinking on this matter. Perhaps we are the only clear thinking people here???? *ducks quickly!* I see the point with continuity as the only possible reason for keeping Gambon, but also don't see that as being quite enough, unless, the the reason for Gambon's Dumbledore being so unsatisfactory, is due to directing, and not the actors interpretation. But, I've said that before haven't I.

_Willy Wonka