Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Old 27-06-2006, 10:27   #11
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

Re: Rowling to kill two in final Potter book

I think Rowling was referring to two good characters, for whom she had never planned deaths, but who will die anyway. We all know good will always triumph over evil, but the deal is that evil does not perish without a price. This price is life on the good side. I think a lot of big characters will have bought it by the end of the series. I'm thinking Ginny, for one, as this would probably enrage Harry to such an extent that it would probably cause him to use the AK on Voldemort. Neville will die, as he is, by all accounts, a rather feeble wizard, with a great heart and unfaltering loyalty. Still, I think he's a goner.
And, I think that Ron was always to die. Ever since I read the legend of The Running Weasel, when a warrior is killed by a rat his men had DYED YELLOW (think about the reference to Ron and Scabbers), I thought Ron's a dead man walking. I think there's a thread on the Running Weasel somewhere here, if not I'll post one. Anyway, that's my thought: Ron was always gonna die, Ginny and Neville are gonna buy it spontaneously, at least for JKR.

"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

"I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost- but still, I was alive."

"I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal- to conquer death."
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 13:48   #12
Empress Scorpio
I'm a N00b

I will have to agree with the few who feel that Snape will come to a bitter-sweet end.

And I also believe that Neville might also die after he and Trevor play a bigger role. I am new so I am not sure how much this has been discussed in the past. It just nags me that the only pets who tried to run away from their owners were Ron's and Neville's. And she is very careful to continue to teach us more about Neville's past. I just see him going down in some sort of blaze of glory, proving that he was much more than we thought.
Old 27-06-2006, 15:05   #13
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Who is going to die? I think that it was two she hadn't originally planned. I personally feel that it may be Hagrid. His tough exterior can't protect him forever. I think he will die protecting Harry, perhaps.
As for the other one, I am not sure. I believe these two deaths will be significant. Some DE will die, but that is to be expected. Some of the Order will die, which is expected (if there is another battle, of course).
The two will be ones that shouldn't die - had their lives gone like any other normal life, they would never have been in this situation. Someone from the DA, perhaps? Yes, Neville or Luna...
The person who gets a reprieve I have to agree is someone who was marked for death but is no longer. It could be Snape - he may get the chance to explain his story and make amends with Harry in his bitter, twisted way, only to disappear in to the night...

Only 12 months to wait now though...well, hopefully less...
Old 27-06-2006, 18:16   #14
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

I kind of eluded to Snape's position in my last post, so here is my little piece on him:
It's highly probable he does work for the good side after all. From the evidence in the books, and Dumbledore's whole trust in him, he was possibly a member of the Order after all. However, Harry's real mad at him, and Snape's gonna have to do a lot (and I mean, a lot) of explaining, if he's to redeem himself in anyone's eyes after killing Dumbledore. He'd have all that Unbreakable Vow stuff to talk about, and, especially if he's held at wand-point doing it, someone may just lose it and kill him anyway. He might come back to the good side, along with Peter Pettigrew, who, we saw, was his servant. Perhaps, after all, they were both fighting for the same side, and decided to deceive Voldemort together. Think about it - Snape is a great Occlumens, and could hide it, and the Dark Lord probably doesn't bother to look inside his head TOO deep. However, if they DID reveal themselves as traitors, they could BOTH wind up dead, together. So, I think that if Pettigrew IS to die, Snape's going with him and vice-versa.

"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

"I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost- but still, I was alive."

"I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal- to conquer death."
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 03:30   #15
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

I must say I think Hagrid is a gonner too, appart from the Weasleys he's the nearest thing Harry has to adult family and JKR has been ruthless in removing all those charaters from Harry's life. Personally I think he will be killed by the giants whilst trying to protect Grawp.

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 12:15   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Sorry guys - you might hate me but I am going with Voldemort and Harry to die - and Snape to get the reprieve ...

I'm pretty sure on HiaH (which of course means I am wrong - yet I was one of the first to predict Dumbledore's death in HBP ... so perhaps on deaths I get it right!) and as such this fits in with the bill quite nicely ... no explanations needed I hope - if you check out Harry is a Horcrux and Harry isn't a Horcrux threads for more details!

Snape - I think Harry is destine to meet him and I think the way he was feeling in HBP - he would kill Snape on sight ... I wonder if Harry wounds him badly and JKR's intention was to let him die as he reveals the truth - but I just wonder if she thinks the world will be better with Snape still in?

So there you go - read it first here - mark the thread so you can come back and haunt me post book 7
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 09:20   #17
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Sorry Alz but is this the wild spec forum ;o)

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 19:00   #18
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
Sorry guys - you might hate me but I am going with Voldemort and Harry to die - and Snape to get the reprieve ...
I guess my only argument with JKR killing off Harry would have to be that it would be a terrible message to send to kids who have followed the series.

Stand up against all the wrongs in the world, put yourself out there and you will die in the end. Not much incentive for kids to do what's right instead of what is easy!

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:18   #19
Alz
Head Unspeakable

The series was created with sacrifice - Harry lost his parents who were good and fought the good fight - that wasn't exactly sending a nice signal to the kids was it?
Like everything in this series it is cyclic and I believe the series ends the way it started - only difference is with Harry's passing he will also break the survival circle of Voldemort.
That is why I like the idea so much - also it means there can be no reprieve on 7 books!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:03   #20
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Well, if she kills off Harry in the final book I'm going to box all my HP books up and mail them to her house. I would honestly be disappointed in that ending!

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote