Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > Official JKRowling Website info

Official JKRowling Website info All the information from JK Rowling's official site

Old 20-05-2007, 06:01   #11
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Re: new diary entry

Okay....let's explore just a little....it may be that I am simply getting anxious and we haven't had much in the way of great speculative debate on this site in a couple of months.....BUT....I have always contended that the 3 main characters represent the Ego (Harry), Superego (Hermione), and Id (Ron) of the author Herself. The Id is the "Devil May Care" part of all of us. It is the least rational part of each person. It is the spoiled brat in all of us. It is the part that comes up with the witty retort as a deflection of criticism, anger, or something that hits too close to home. Ron, throughout the stories, has been the one to pop off the wise crack, and, in doing so, has often "accidentally" predicted something that came to pass. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that She was speaking out of her Id when she quipped about the Squid being the world's largest animagus, making an 11th hour appearance to save the day. Would she be so bold as to point us that directly at the truth, assuming that no one would ever take a remark like that seriously? Now, it doesn't have to be literal---it doesn't have to be the squid, and it doesn't have to be the animagus form of Gryffindor, but it could mean that someone (or thing) is not all he/she/it appears to be.

She loves word play, She never writes anything accidentally or carelessly, and She has a wicked, mischievous sense of humor that delights in this sort of thing. She would get just as much pleasure out of people ignoring or overlooking the comment as she would our debating something that is so "obviously" "unbelievable"........

Here's what I wrote in a long-ago thread debating whether Harry will die in Book 7, as we referred to it at the time, or not: JKR has built a brilliant microcosm of the human psyche among the major players in her storyline. Most notably is the trio of Harry (Ego), Ron (Id), and Hermione (Superego). The Ego must eventually overcome the influence of the Id in order for a person to mature completely. The Superego sees to it that a balance occurs. The Id and the Superego cannot coexist without the Ego. It seems more likely that the Id is the expendable part---it's the self-serving "I want" in all of us. The Id is an important part of a person's personality because it allows him/her to get basic needs met. The Id wants whatever feels good at the time, with no consideration for the reality of the situation. It could be argued that the Ego and the Superego can exist without the Id. The Ego is reality based---it understands that other people have needs, wants, desires---most importantly, it understands that being selfish & impulsive can hurt us in the long haul. The Ego's function is to meet the needs of the Id, while taking into consideration the reality of the situation. The Superego is the moral part of a person's psyche and develops later due to the moral and ethical restraints placed on us by our parents. Some people equate the Superego with the conscience as it dictates our understanding of right vs. wrong. The Ego is the strongest so it can provide for the needs of the Id, not tie the Superego's panties in a knot, and still manage to take into account the reality of a given situation. Not an enviable job, but if the Id gets too powerful/influential, impulses and self gratification take over the person's life. If the Superego becomes to strong, the person would be driven by rigid morals, would be judgmental and unbending in his/her view of society. What's with the Freudian philosophy? Long story, short: the Ego can't die. The Id can die (or it could be shifted to another person in this symbolic trio....hmmm.....who could represent the object of Harry's irrational wants and desires?), the Superego can die (note one Tom Riddle), but the Ego must remain. Harry is the Ego in this equation. He lives. If anyone dies, it will be Ron, but given the symbiotic relationship of Ego, Superego, & Id, perhaps none of the Big 3 will die. JKR likes symmetry. Also, JKR usually refers to Harry as her "hero".....I think it more likely it is a manefestation of her own Ego. She's not about to kill the part of herself that keeps her grounded. Just a thought....
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 07:56   #12
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Wow MB, that is something. I remember reading it when you first posted it . . . but the id in me said it was too "brainy" and didn't want to think about it then . . . today my super ego has taken over for a while (but my id isn't liking it much) and it does make sense. Of course, I have never doubted but that Harry would live, but this does give precidence for the entire trio surviving as well. I don't think that DH is going to be the 'blood bath" that some are thinking it will be. I think that 2 or 3 "good guys" will die, and mostlikely the same number of baddies. I don't think there could be a replacement for Ron to show up in the 11th hour . . . Maybe Luna, but I don't really think so.

As for someone/something being something that they didn't appear. I almost say that it has to happen. JKR has said that we have met everyone that will play a part. I think "met" is the key on this. And again it is pointing to Dumbledore . . . Aberforth Dumbledore. We have met him nameless face to face in the Hogs Head tending bar. We have met him by name in mention, but he has been deceivingly in the background. There are many others I'm certain that have been introduced as lightly, and have remained in the background that will come into play.

And now, for the eleventh hour . . . Dumbledore? Albus Dumbledore, Perhaps not "alive" as such but through something he had planned beforehand, knowing full well what would happen with Malfoy and Snape. I am certain that all his absences were not just looking for the cave, but an accumulation of many clues and back trails that will point Harry in the right direstion. Likely something will be found just at the last instant. That brings me back to the locket. Harry and Dumbledore found the "fake" locket. We have all so blithely assumed it would be easily found at #12, but perhaps not. We see Harry wearing it on the book cover, and it looks whole and undamaged. I can't see that Harry would waste any time once finding a Horcrux to destroy it. It would seem that Harry finds this final Horcrux just as the final battle is to begin. Of course that will bring up an interesting fight. Harry cannot defeat Voldemort as long as the Horcrux exists, but Voldemort must be careful in battling Harry as long as he has the Horcrux about his neck . . .

So much to consider in the story of a squid!

NOW, on a different note . . . when is JKR going to tease us with some chapter titles? Although we never got the ones from the HBP right, it was still loads of fun to speculate on them. We do need some new fuel!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 06:06   #13
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

I've been trying, but I just can't manage to place the trio neatly into the three Freudian brain regions. The id, from what I recall, is the instinctual centre. It operates under what is known as 'The Pleasure Principal'. It knows what it wants, and wants to satisfy it, reality be damned. I don't think Ron is such a hedonist, nor that he is filled with unbridled energy. Sounds more like Dudley - self centred, greedy, hungry, violent, primitive. At times, Ron's wants are a little simple, I suppose, but he still doesn't stike me as a creature of the id. He's too conventional in his thinking.

The Superego is the inherited law of the father - all that one learns in childhood about the taboos of the society into which one is born. Ron has often played the role of informing Harry and Hermione of the implications of certain things - as the wizard on the street would see them, eg on giants, 'mudblood' etc. Hermione tends to question the status quo more - eg, on the issue of house elves(house elfs?) - so I don't see her strictly as a superego. She does at times act as a moral centre - eg, when Harry wanted to use That Umbridge Woman's fire. So, maybe she's the superego of Hogwarts ... No. That role is played by MacGonagall. Really, in line with Dudley above, Harry's superego was played by Petunia, although he most often chooses to disregard it - as, alas, do we all, at times.

The ego is the portion of the personality that must deal with the outside world. It follows 'The Reality Principal', and takes into account the outside world in making its decisions. When the Id screams for food, the Ego gets a job to earn money. The Id doesn't think in terms of reality - it indeed would be satisfied by the Mirror of Erised, as the idea of the thing is the same as the thing itself to the Id.

It just hit me that the 3 roles are nicely illustrated by the dog, Sirius as the id ('Prongs, I'm bored'), James, (the egotistical) ego, and Lupin, as a weak, ineffective superego.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 09:00   #14
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

I think it would be impossible to create characters that can fit entirely into any of the Freudian distinctions---they are all, in Her world, very complete people in their own respective rights. There is some inevitable bleed-over, as each has his/her own Ego, Superego, & Id. I think a loose representation is what we can find at best, and that's really what I was getting at. Very interesting catch on Sirius, James, and Lupin---possibly better defined in the Freudian light than the current Big 3 because we don't know them as well----but it has made me think in terms of 3s.....there are a few definite trios in the story....Dumbledore, MacGonagall, & Snape.....Vernon, Dudley, & Petunia.......Dobby, Winky, & Kreacher.....Malfoy, Crabbe, & Goyle (not much in the way of Superego here)........any others?.....this may be more appropriate in a thread of its own......

Last edited by Mr_Bandman; 22-05-2007 at 09:01.. Reason: spelling error
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 12:48   #15
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Does anyone know how you submit a question for JKR to answer on the site?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 16:40   #16
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Sirius Potter Fan, no idea on that one... She might just go to forums on sites and pick a question that people have been guessing on for a while but haven't got the answer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR's website
Even if the biggest secret gets out - even if somebody discovers the Giant Squid is actually the world's largest Animagus, which rises from the lake at the eleventh hour, transforms into Godric Gryffindor and... well, I wouldn't like to spoil it.
Okay, to me this doesn't sound like a joke... really I could totally see this happening. The final battle comes around, its on the Hogwarts' grounds, Harry and Voldemort fight for a bit and then when all looks grim for Harry, the Giant Squid climbs out of the lake and transforms into Godric Gryffindor who helps to defeat Slytherin's last remaining heir. Or I could see a different set of events from that too. Something like after Gryffindor makes an appearance he tells the two how this was never suppose to be, how everybody was equal and the four founders might have split because of different beliefs, but it was never suppose to divide wizard kind to the point of obliviation. Of course I can't imagine Harry and Voldemort shaking hands and saying sorry, but one never knows.
Of course thats taking the entire quote literally.

Its just the way that JKR wrote it mixed in with everything else that makes me think that there is some if not quite a bit of truth mixed in with what she says.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote