Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > Official JKRowling Website info

Official JKRowling Website info All the information from JK Rowling's official site

Old 18-04-2007, 19:06   #1
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

fan sites room

on perusing j.k's site for the millionth time i came across the fan sites room where there is trophies for good fan sites. i noticed some trophies on the top shelf, two for tom riddle and two for james potter and one for sirius. I cant remember what james and sirius would get trophies for (someone please remind me if its in one of the books) but there is also a trophy for frank longbottom who is neville's dad. Could we perhaps find out how he got this trophy in the last book?
Old 20-04-2007, 05:33   #2
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Re: fan sites room

You know I'm not certain. I'm guessing, that one, since Riddle had two, that you may get a trophy for being head boy. Of course that wouldn't explain one for Sirius though . . . My guess is that perhaps Rowling has awarded them trophies of her own for her own reasons. Other than that, It very well may be that we will see something about it in DH. Very interesting idea though HH!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 15:37   #3
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

There seem to be three references to Riddle in the trophy room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS
Riddle's burnished gold shield was tucked away in a corner cabinet. It didn't carry details of why it had been given to him ("Good thing, too, or it'd be even bigger and Id still be polishing it," said Ron). However, they did find Riddle's name on an old Medal for Magical Merit, and on a list of old Head Boys.
In the film of PS/SS we see a Quidditch trophy with James' name on it but that doesn't really count I guess.

The medal for magical merit interests me a little. Maybe medals were given to pupils who excelled at particular subjects. Perhaps Frank Longbottom got one? Maybe that is why he was invited to Slughorn's first lunch?

Now a number of other things have come up while I was thinking of trophies that have been referred to.

The first thing that tickled my fancy was the possibility of a cat being a horcrux! The logic for this comes from the statement of Dumbledore that Voldemort collected "trophies" and a word that appears regularly throughout the series "Catastrophe" which is spoken as "Cat as trophy"

Now there are plenty of cats referred to in the series! There are all of Mrs. Figg's cats for a start, then there is McGonagal's animagus form, there is Mrs. Norris, Crookshanks and Millicent Bulstrode's cat. Now of those the only cat that is known to have had contact with Riddle/Voldemort is McGonagal who was at school with Riddle.

The other thing that struck me was the number of times Peeves is reported as being around the trophy room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoA
.....Peeves the Poltergeist was currently bouncing around the trophy room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoF
. .. nothing else seemed to be moving apart from Peeves, though he was bouncing around the trophy room on the floor above. ...
Well not that many times really but we also know that in addition to having trophies in the trophy room Riddle spent time in there looking for references to Tom Riddle snr. I am not really sure what Peeves is, outside of being a poltergeist, or how and when he came to be at Hogwarts.

Just a few thoughts anyway.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 17:05   #4
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well GB . . . I don't know about cats . . . yeah, a lot of them in the stories I admit. But here I think that Dumbledore would be right, that using a living thinking being to house a Horcrux would be unwise. For one. A living being could not be counted on to house the soul fragment indeffinately, which is necessary for "imortality" as that living being could itself die.* A cat would be especialy unwise, as their lifespan is generaly only 15-20 years. And McGonagal???? PLEASE! I think that taking "catastrophy" to mean anything more than a devestating event is to "assume" a bit much here.

*just a note and question on using a living thing as a Horcrux . . . Say for instance, someone has "unwisely" made a living thing into a Horcrux, and said thing dies. At the death, we would presume that the Horcrux would be destroyed. But . . . what is a living being, other than a collection of water and a few minerals? Could the Horcrux continue to exist as the "body" whether dead or alive? As the body would decompose, would the Horcrux deteriorate with it? or would it remain in the "dust" we all become?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 23-04-2007, 17:56   #5
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Tom Riddle got an award just like Ron and Harry for special services to the school. Tom got his award when he set Hagrid up to be the one responsible for the attacks fifty years ago. Tom was the one that revealed Hagrid's spider and the spider was blamed for the deaths, not the basilisk Tom let loose on the school.

I'm not sure about James and Sirius. Was James a prefect? I think he was Head Boy if I recall. I just see Sirius as a troubelmaker in school. I could be wrong though.

Frank Longbottom was never mentioned in any of the books except the fact that he was Neville's dad and was in St. Mungos. I don't recall anything mentioned of him at the school specifically. I wonder if the awards on JKR's site are not just there for decoration.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney

Last edited by Fortescue; 23-04-2007 at 18:04..
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 01:14   #6
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan View Post
Well GB . . . I don't know about cats . . . yeah, a lot of them in the stories I admit. But here I think that Dumbledore would be right, that using a living thinking being to house a Horcrux would be unwise. For one. A living being could not be counted on to house the soul fragment indeffinately, which is necessary for "imortality" as that living being could itself die.* A cat would be especialy unwise, as their lifespan is generaly only 15-20 years. And McGonagal???? PLEASE! I think that taking "catastrophy" to mean anything more than a devestating event is to "assume" a bit much here.

*just a note and question on using a living thing as a Horcrux . . . Say for instance, someone has "unwisely" made a living thing into a Horcrux, and said thing dies. At the death, we would presume that the Horcrux would be destroyed. But . . . what is a living being, other than a collection of water and a few minerals? Could the Horcrux continue to exist as the "body" whether dead or alive? As the body would decompose, would the Horcrux deteriorate with it? or would it remain in the "dust" we all become?
Maybe unwise to use an animal but what about Dumbledore's ideas about Nagini?

I have always wondered why McGonagal didn't seem to be taken into Dumbledore's confidence. But then perhaps he didn't take anyone into his confidence that much. Doesn't it seem strange that Harry, Ron and Hermione can know about Horcruxes but not McGonagal?

Now I have remembered some more cats, or kittens to be more precise. Umbridge had foul kittens running around her ornaments. Maybe the Horcrux cat is a statue we have not yet seen?

There is an old Irish proverb that goes "There are chests of gold within all the burial mounds, but mind the cats that guard them." certainly the artwork for DH could be interpreted as being associated with a tomb or burial mound!

In the film PoA there is the scene where Hermione tells Ron that the Egyptians worshipped cats. Perhaps that was what JKR was talking about when she said that people will think that it was a big clue!

In JKR's trophy room there are also trophies for Bellatrix Black, Lily Evans and someone whose family name ends with "asley," presumably a Weasley.

Last edited by Glumbumble; 24-04-2007 at 01:30..
Old 24-04-2007, 05:33   #7
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well, without the book, there is no way I can say no cats . . . in reality I suppose at this point it's as likely as anything. Perhaps, as you say, a statue of a cat . . . or . . . perhaps more likely a statue of a lion? Lions are cats are they not?

I am not convinced that DD has not taken McGonagal into his confidences. I think he does share things with all the order members, but as with The Death Eaters, they do not communicate about "secret" things even withn their group. They trust that DD has told anyone who needs to know about it, and they certainly wouldn't want to be the one to slip and give the information to the one or two that perhaps DD does not trust entirely . . .

_Willy Wonka

Old 24-04-2007, 06:05   #8
horcruxfinder
TFH Graduate

Sorry to interupt the conversation about cats...but can someone tell this old lady how to get into this aforementioned trophy room???
Old 24-04-2007, 08:24   #9
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Well young Horcruxfinder,
There is a bulldog/paper clip just beneath and slightly to the left of the rubber/eraser in the centre of the desktop. When the cursor crosses the clip it reads "Fan Sites" click on this and you end up in the trophy room.

Last edited by Glumbumble; 24-04-2007 at 08:26..
Old 24-04-2007, 14:14   #10
Rory
TFH Graduate

I thought that award was a good candidate for a horcrux. I thought it would appeal to Moldywarts. It was an award he got for murdering Myrtle, setting Salazar Slytherin's basalisk loose on the school, and blaming Hagrid for the whole thing.