Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > "Divination's at the top of North Tower" > Predicating Septology

Predicating Septology Septology Predictions on the 'running' events and happenings of the whole series.

View Poll Results: Will Petunia Be the One to Use Magic Late in Life?
Yup. It's a given. She's a witch. She's a witch! 5 50.00%
Nope. No chance of it. She's Muggle to the core. 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-06-2005, 17:16   #1
Boing
Pops in randomly

Petunia to Use Magic

Voted: YES

Reasoning:

I just really like this idea that Petunia is the one to use magic late in life. I think perhaps it will factor into what we find out about her relationship with Lily and what happened when they were younger. I just think it would be a fantastic turn of events to have Petunia, one of the "worst sorts of Muggles imaginable" use magic. Also, JKR has laid a foundation for her in terms of knowing more than a regular Muggle about the wizarding world.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 13:53   #2
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Petunia to Use Magic

Voted: YES

Reasoning:

There is something about Petunia and we all know it.
I think the main thing to bring this out in her is if her family come under direct attack.
She took Harry in because it meant she would be safe - if this safety was ever compromised then I think it will bring out of her something - and I think that is magic!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 14:30   #3
Tonks
Unspeakable

Voted:

No

Reasoning:

Well, I'm not completely against it, but I just really don't see Petunia being one to start to do magic. It would completely go against everything she's said all her life (or since Harry was born anyway) and Vernon would have a heart attack to think that she isn't completely against any and all things magical. I think that there are several others who have a bit more potential to perform magic late in life..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 11:38   #4
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Voted: Yes

Reasoning: There is definitely something simmering beneath that 'perfect neighbour' facade that Petunia works very hard at, and the real hatred/fear that both she and Vernon show towards the wizarding world must mean something - it is a common theme in the world that if you fear something, you oppose anything that it stands for.

Think that in the next couple of weeks we are likely to find out some more about this!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 16:34   #5
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Voted:

Yes

Reasoning:

I was unsure of either answer as there are arguments to both. The No answer included she was a Muggle/Squib - JKR said she is definitely not a Squib so that sort of threw me.

I voted yes with hesitation, only because it would seem that if she did have any magical powers that it would be known. The Hogwarts book keeps track of all children born with magical powers, so wouldn't Dumbledore know if Petunia's name was in the book even if she hadn't shown any sign of magical power up until now? It would seem that her dormant magical talents would still be present at the time of her birth and she would be recorded as all other magical children are.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 16:55   #6
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

Naw.. .she's either a muggle or a Squib.
She never got that letter from Hogwarts and she was always jealous of Lily for being able to use magic--thus hating the whole magic community.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 09:53   #7
Boing
Pops in randomly

Okay, I edited the "squib" out of that option, so now she's either a witch or a Muggle. Carry on!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:09   #8
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Didnt JKR say that Petunia will not be the one to do magic or something?
I am taking it from your edit that you are responding on a more recently refreshed data that I might have forgotton
There was something over Christmas ... ok shutting up
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 18:54   #9
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Alz, you are correct -- on her own website. So, I *kinda* cheated -- voted No. Easy when you know the answer.
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:35   #10
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I previously voted yes back some time ago, but saw that JKR blew that thought out of the water. So it makes me wonder who it is that will use magic late in life. My bet is on Mrs. Figg, but it will probably be Filtch. Maybe his mail order magic lessons will pay off.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote