Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Potterology > Reference and Trivia from Potter

Reference and Trivia from Potter "Look! I think I've got an unaspected planet! Oooh, which one's that, Professor?"

Old 26-08-2005, 14:44   #11
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Re: Martyrdom in Harry Potter and the lessons learnt

I would fight for my children, and I would die for them too. I think what I meant there (it was a while ago ) was that she didn't try anything else but stepping in front of him. No begging (I would have), no fighting, just simply blocking him from view. Of course, being the wizarding world, it is a bit different.
Old 27-08-2005, 10:04   #12
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashlie
I would fight for my children, and I would die for them too. I think what I meant there (it was a while ago ) was that she didn't try anything else but stepping in front of him. No begging (I would have), no fighting, just simply blocking him from view. Of course, being the wizarding world, it is a bit different.
Dont be embaressed by that observation - because I for one totally agree and yah once again this is under discussion in another thread.
Lily's actions were passive in approach - contradictory to what pretty much anyone would do if a child was in danger ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 06:04   #13
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Lately I have been trying to think of contempory issues that the books can be allegorically linked to.

I find the actions of the Ministry of Magic comparible to those of the governments involved in 'The Coalition of the Willing'. The sentences without trial recall Guamtanomo Bay; the warning messages and useless secruity measures remind me of the 'anti-terrorism' fridge magnets sent out by the Australian government.

I don't have enough examples really at present - as I say, it is something I've been trying to think of, rather than something I have a firm take on as yet.

On thing though, that often occurs to me in regards to a contempory issue, always comes back to me when I read Order of the Pheonix: Harry is urged, repeatedly, to master his emotions. In chinese Buddhist philosophy, there is a concept known as 'Qing' - often translated as 'sentimentality'. Qing is the force that allows humans to remain human in this realm, although they originally come from another, more 'divine' 'dimension' (for want of a better word.

It is qing to prefer one food to another. It is qing to prefer one person to another - the Buddist ideal is to treat all people with benevolence, not to 'love' one above any other. Some may feel that without these 'human' feelings we would not be human. That is precisely the idea of high-level Buddhist thought - if you can escape from qing, you can indeed no longer be human, but return to your true home in the Heavens. This is not so far from Christian belief - except the Buddhist accepts responibilty for the dissolution of his own 'karma', with the aid of Buddha, where a Christian who follows what Christ genuinely told them to do, allows Christ to have paid for the burden of their 'sin'. Both can then return to their Heaven. (Please accept I am speaking philosophically, and I'm really not trying to offend anyone).

Harry cannot master qing - he is tested in this regard in OotP by his infatuation with Cho Chang (hey, the only Chinese character). After a tiff, Snape finds Harry's mind pathetically easy to enter. Harry needs to master his emotons, to escape from qing.

The issue this reminds me of is the persecution of the followers of the Falun Dafa philophy in China at the moment. Those who are being tortured there, by the 'Red Dragon' of the CCP, are attempting to end the persecution, not through war, but through educating the world about what is going on. They suffer the torture with forbearance, trying not to feel qing towards their torturers, but rather compassion for them. That this persecution is going on... it is the worst crime, in my opinion, that is taking place in the world at the moment. To kill people because of their belief in a peaceful philosophy is heinous. They are martyrs, as those that oppose the Lord Voldemort's regime are martyrs.

I see media attention being given to many humanitarian issues in the world, to wars and celebrities, but like the Daily Prophet ignoing Voldemorts return, this issue is largely ignored.

Hmm, got a bit preachy there. But I guess the point that was that Harry is learning to master his emotions and to accept his pre-ordained destiny as a scourge of evil; and ultimately perhaps, be so separated from his qing that he can martyr himself out of compassion for the world. Hate wont defeat Voldemort - if he is emotional, it is only going to make Voldemort's task easier.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote