Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Wild Speculation Forum > Character conspiracy theory

Character conspiracy theory "Krum attacked Crouch, no-wait for it, then stunned himself!"

Old 13-05-2006, 00:11   #1
Lily
Wingardium Leviosa

Where did the money come from?

This has always been something that has got me thinking... where did the Potters' wealth come from? I mean, Lily and James were pretty young when they were killed, and we all know that they were pretty active members of the Order, and so I would assume that that would have taken most of their time... and as far as I know, it isn't a paid job.

I would assume then that the money was inherited.. and I would also assume that it was from James' parents... but where would they have gotten all their money from? Were they very predominant figures in the wizarding world? And if they were... what did they do? I mean, James was their only child, so it obviously he got the whole inheritance when they died... but, really, where did their money come from?
Old 13-05-2006, 04:04   #2
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Re: Where did the money come from?

Perhaps wizards too have life insurance, that would explain why Harry has a pile of gold large enough to pay fo all his education plus enough left over to set himself up in his adult life.

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 08:58   #3
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I can only think that it came from James' family. I can only say one name to that - - - Godric Gryffindor. Ummmm.... James inherited the wealth I think.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 12:10   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
I can only think that it came from James' family. I can only say one name to that - - - Godric Gryffindor. Ummmm.... James inherited the wealth I think.
Still dislike that idea a great deal

BUT - we have seen that the bigger, pureblood magical families do seem to be quite well off in the Magical world - I am going to make my first contribution boring and say that James was part of an OLD, big magical family just like the Black's etc - where their history can be traced back over centuries.
Would explain the accumulation of gold ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 15:59   #5
Brycen05
TFH Graduate

Wink Re: Where did the money come from?

I see what your saying Alz, but if that were the case, wouldn't they have a big enchanted housefull of old family heirlooms and stuff. I mean the only place I think they might've owned would be Godric's Hollow. Wait, I just got an epiphany. What if the House was taken away because of James' involvement with one who isn't a pureblood. Oh that was a little off subject. But I think Harry got his money from a hidden fund that was donated. Think of it, in these times, would a hero really be broke. It was probably something he recieved from the ministry and fans for being "the boy who lived".

"A mind is not to be chang'd by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven"
Brycen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 00:12   #6
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycen05
But I think Harry got his money from a hidden fund that was donated. Think of it, in these times, would a hero really be broke. It was probably something he recieved from the ministry and fans for being "the boy who lived".
Sorry but that doesn't work!! In PS/SS Hagrid clearly refered to Harry's perents not leaving him without anything.

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 11:12   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I'm pretty sure the Potter fortune was left to James from his parents (JKR said it?) - so that explains the current and past generation.
Now - how would the Potter's Grandparents have the money - well once again I would think they might have been a pureblood family and the money may have come from a dependency legacy - as much as it loathes me to say, maybe Gryffindor ...
I mean it wasn't like it was unusual to see a rich Wizard - we have seen multiple examples of rich families but they all seem to come from an established dependency - and since all purebloods are linked, well guess the wealth also seems to cling in there!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 29-05-2006, 13:42   #8
Ana C.B.Rodrigues
Day dreamer

Yeah...The Potters were just like Black and we can see it ... Sirius went to live with the Potters... what I wonder is where did Sirius money came from...I'd assume his mothe banned him from earning anything from them... but then there is the House of Black which he has inherited...
Old 30-05-2006, 11:45   #9
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think the house of Black was one of the pureblood dynasties that held their money through the years ... it looks like the Malfoy's are another good example of purebloods holding money - whereas the Gaunts were the exact opposite - they squandered their inheritance over the years ..

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 20-10-2006, 18:37   #10
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

i feel like being boring, so i'm going to have to say that Harry's parent were probably financial geniuses, as well as having a good inheritence from his mom's side as well as his father's side (seriously, his mom's parents probably left Lily with SOMETHING! dont count them out cause their muggles), and we still dont know what either of his parents did for a living. the potters may have worked for the ministry, Gringotts, or could have been full time order members and dumbledore provided harry with the money when his parents died. you just never know.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote