Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > "Divination's at the top of North Tower" > Predicating Septology

Predicating Septology Septology Predictions on the 'running' events and happenings of the whole series.

View Poll Results: Dumbledore trust Snape because of Lily Death
Agree 6 50.00%
Disagree 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2006, 04:21   #1
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Thumbs down Dumbledore's trust in Snape

Prediction: Dumbledore's trust in Snape
I it my belief and prediction that the reason Dumbledore trusts Snape is because Snape was left distraught when he found out the information he passed to Voldemort would lead to Lily's death.

Evidence or Support
This is the big question - but why would Snape put his neck on the line for someone he hated and his wife who he considered a mudblood.
I think the reason Dumbledore trust Snape is because Snape is doing all he can to help Dumbledore/Harry fight Voldemort and passing information that is making it possible for them to better prepare.
Dumbledore trusts him because he knows that Snape would never have wanted to see Lily die and now she is - he wants to redeem himself.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:17   #2
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: Dumbledore's trust in Snape

I think the reason Dumbledore trusts Snape is because Snape has been loyal to Dumbledore all along. Dumbledore took Snape under his wing when he was still in school. He saw Snape's intelligence and knew he was a loner. Maybe he thought that if he could break through the wall Snape lived behind, he could save one Slytherin from Voldemort. Snape was surely on the road to being a Death Eater and Dumbledore knew that, so he stepped in, showed Snape some compassion and love when no one else did, before Voldemort got a hold on him.

Dumbledore was like the father that Snape never had in his own father. That is why Snape was loyal to him and that is why Dumbledore trusted him.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 15:46   #3
halliemei
TFH Graduate

This is one of the tougher ones. I would agree with it, but I really like the theory that VM was limiting HIS kills because of the horcrux thing --thus the reason he asked Lily to "step aside". He had no problem with killing women, so that wasn't it. She was a muggle-born, so she is "less than worthy." And, I just don't buy him asking Lily to step aside because of Snape . . . what? Like he cares that it would hurt Snape's feelings.

So, as such, Snape had reason to believe from day one of passing along the prophesy that Lily could be killed --- UNLESS he had absolutely NO idea that Lily was pregnant - not likely if he was "in love" with her. So, there you go. . .
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 22:21   #4
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

Quote:
Originally Posted by halliemei
would agree with it, but I really like the theory that VM was limiting HIS kills because of the horcrux thing --thus the reason he asked Lily to "step aside".
I dont' think the horcrux thing works every single time that you commit murder. Wouldn't you have to do complex spells and everything in order to create a horcrux of your soul? Because otherwise, all the death eaters would have bunches of horcruxes of their souls, too.

ANYWAY,
I'm not really sure about the Lily thing. I think there's something more to it than that. In my theory, i think Snape helped Dumbledore out in a really tight spot once--might have saved his life, even. For example, Dumbledore might have been a death eater, or have had experience when he was in a fatal situation against Voldemort before, and Snape came rushing in, saving his life & "turning" his back on Snape.

this is still an undeveloped theory, so i'm just blabbering.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 19:49   #5
Tonks
Unspeakable

Sorry Alzy man.

I have to disagree and semi-expand on something Snuffles brought up.

I really think that there's more to it than that as well. Yeah, Harry told Ron & Co. that Dumbledore trusted Snape because of this.. yet at the time, it seemed too simple of a reason. If i remember right, Ron agreed to this and had an interesting shocked reaction to this pronouncement.

I guess I just have a really hard time believing that something so little as regret has led to Dumbledore trusting Snape implicitly. I guess that is his greatness speaking - that he gives people second chances and wishes to see the best in people - but then again, it may also have truly been his downfall.

Excuse the thinking out loud a bit here please.. I just think its a bit of skimpy reason on Dumbledore's part and isn't quite enough for me. That is all.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 20:21   #6
cj633
TFH Graduate

Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA but I love to travel by knight bus

I think that when Snape originally came to DD requesting he do something to protect Lily and DD then challenged him about James and Harry and Snape said to protect all of them reluctantly, was the first test. I think he trusted Snape in the end because Snape had proven himself time and again. It all started with him being distraugth that his telling of the part of the prophesy he overheard was going to put Lily in danger.
Old 30-08-2007, 11:31   #7
claymore04
TFH Graduate

Not to be smug, though I am being smug, I predicted in a message here Snape loving Lily 2 months before the book came out. I also forsaw the Locket in the same message.
claymore04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 11:34   #8
claymore04
TFH Graduate

[QUOTE=Tonks;26618]
I guess I just have a really hard time believing that something so little as regret has led to Dumbledore trusting Snape implicitly.

Actions speak louder than words and Snape had 16 years of action speaking for him.
claymore04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41   #9
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore04
Not to be smug, though I am being smug, I predicted in a message here Snape loving Lily 2 months before the book came out.
Well, not to boast either, but I had Snape and Lily together more than 2 years ago!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote