Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-07-2005, 19:24   #21
kaz
Professor of Potterology

Re: R.A.B. (potential Spoilers)

That is a really good point, Snuffles! If someone had emptied the basin to get the Horcrux then who filled it up again? I think you are onto something!
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 19:50   #22
mimbulus mimbletonia
Mature Graduates

that kinda points to Snape again doesn't it?
Old 19-07-2005, 20:51   #23
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Another thought occured to me about this, this is a long one so don't let it scare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note from the locket

To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this
but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match
you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B.
Dumbledore said that going to the island and getting the locket could not have been done by one person for the reasons we saw in the book - one person drank the potion and the other person made sure they drank it all as the potion made them go a bit nuts. The note shown above was written by one person taking credit for stealing the Horcrux, but if you can't possibly take this particular Horcrux on your own, then logic follows that there was at least two people who knew about the Horcrux, and were there to take it.

As it has been said, R.A.B. could be Regulus Black - but we know JKR doesn't make anything that easy, does she? - Not knowing what his middle name was - we'll have to settle for that - but, what if it was more than one person, and the initials are of two or three different people?

We can guess that one of those people was Regulus as he was murdered by Voldemort or another Death Eater. Now if we look at the wording of the note we can relate this to Regulus in that he was trying to get away from Voldemort - he knew he'd made a mistake by joining and he wanted out. As it's been said, once you go into Voldemort's service it's a lifetime of service or death. So stick with me on this one

Regulus wanted out - he didn't want to work for Voldemort anymore, yet he knew he would eventually die because you can't quit Voldemort, thus the first line of the letter. We know from Dumbledore that it takes at least two people to get the locket - so - filtering off a bit on another thread, and needing a little help from others - R.A.B = the first letter could be Regulus, for the reasons mentioned above, but what if there were actually two other people?

What if the 'A' stands for Alice - Alice Longbottom?

Where would Regulus go for help if he was trying to get away from Voldemort and he had information to give thinking he might get some type of protection - an Auror maybe? What if the Death Eaters knew that Regulus had been involved with the Longbottom's before he was murdered, but didn't know why, (not to get into another subject) but that's why the Longbottom's were attacked - because the Death Eaters thought they might know more about Voldemort because of the whispers among them about a connection to Regulus and Alice? The only thing missing would be the third person -- someone else who wanted to do Voldemort in. (no this isn't wild spec )

Ok, I think I'm done now Any thoughts on who 'B' might be?

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 21:57   #24
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

OK, first, I don't think that the note writer "changed" the enchantments, unless possibly what I will mention below. I doubt that there could have been three, too many to have told about what was done. I believe that there could have been two, who went in anyway, but I think that it's possible that only one left. I believe that Regulus (or indeed whomever switched the lockets) took the secret with him. Anything that important, if known by anyone who lived, would have got around, know what I mean. Someone had to drink the potion, yes, but someone also had to replace it. If the basin had appeared any different when Voldemort went to claim it, he would have known. But, what if the basin has a charm on it, that it automaticaly refills itself? nah, doubtful. . . So, say Regulus refilled it with a potion that would echo his own laments, hence all the "I was wrong" etc. because he was expecting that the only one to come after him would be Voldemort.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 03:23   #25
Boing
Pops in randomly

It has been mentioned a couple times in here now that the potion was refilled/changed (and yes, I do think that is a good idea for what happened).

As for it being two people, well, I'm not sure about that. But definitely not Alice. We are never specifically told she was an Auror anyway. Whenever they are mentioned it is as Frank, the Auror and Alice, the Wife. I don't think it's ever been confirmed she was an Auror. If you guys have found a place where it's mentioned, please tell me as I have been looking and looking!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 03:55   #26
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Actually, Alice was an Auror:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas on the Closed Ward OotP, pg 514
"They were Aurors, you know, and very well respected within the Wizarding community," Mrs. Longbottom went on. "Highly gifted, the pair of them,

Thinking about the others in the story at the time, another name comes to mind - Barty Crouch Jr. He was the same age as Regulus - he seems a bit crazy, maybe he found out about Horcruxes with Regulus and thought he'd get a one up on Voldemort in case he needed to pull an ace out of his sleeve at another time.

R = Regulus
A = Alice
B = Barty

Regulus could have done it because he wanted to stop Voldemort from being immortal, so he went to Alice and told her what he knew so they set out for the Horcrux and Regulus took Barty along, who greedly went thinking he'd get a bit of Voldemort's soul.

Later, Barty was arrested for taking part in the torture of the Longbottom's - could that be because he wanted to know where the Horcrux was and that the other Death Eaters assumed they were simply looking for Voldemort?

Regulus is dead, Alice is crazy, and Barty got his soul sucked out. Pretty hard to get the location of a Horcrux out of any of them!!

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 05:00   #27
Boing
Pops in randomly

Thanks for that quote - I couldn't find one anywhere and was going crazy because everyone keeps talking about Alice as an auror and I couldn't find it anywhere!

I'm still not on board with the multiple people thing. In my mind it was one person. Why would multiple people write in the first person and then sign it with all of their names? That just seems silly. Like trying to goad Voldemort into coming to get them . . .

Going back to Blaise's post about the R.A.B. perhaps being either Rabastan and Bellatrix or Rodolphus and Bellatrix, what if it was just Rabastan? (I know, I'm stuck on it just being one person!!) R.A.B. - the first three letters of his name. He could either have been trying to hide his identity for a little while longer or perhaps trying to frame Regulus?

Just another thought!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 20-07-2005, 08:10   #28
Boing
Pops in randomly

Going back to Blaise's post about the R.A.B. perhaps being either Rabastan and Bellatrix or Rodolphus and Bellatrix, what if it was just Rabastan? (I know, I'm stuck on it just being one person!!) R.A.B. - the first three letters of his name. He could either have been trying to hide his identity for a little while longer or perhaps trying to frame Regulus?

Just another thought!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 20-07-2005, 08:29   #29
Sirius-fan-forever
TFH Graduate

My question is how important of a DE was Regulus Black to have known about voldemort's horcruxes and specifically where one of them is kept. We are continually reminded that voldemort doesnt consider anyone as his friend and I am asuming therefore he wouldn't share such vital information with anyone. Having assumed this, it means that RAB found this information either by mistake or through someone else. What could have happened to reveal the location or existence of a horcrux to someone when it took dumbledore over a decade to find out. Also, the only person we know who suspected about the horcruxes would be slughorn and I don't think he was willing to talk about that seeing what came out of his information. So maybe to find out who RAB is, we need to know how and where he/she came to realize the existence of the horcrux. (sorry seems like I am going in circles )

The note refers to voldemort as 'the dark lord'...does it mean for sure that the person at one time or another was a death eater (as harry mentioned to snape that only DE called him the dark lord)
Sirius-fan-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 08:45   #30
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I am having a really hard time believing that it would be any of the Lestranges, they are too loyal. I think it would be someone, that, like Dumbledore, knows that Harry has to kill Voldemort, and was trying to figure out how to. Even his DE didn't know that he wasn't mortal until GoF, so I don't think it would be one of the DE.

As to who it might be, I'm sure that it will be someone we have heard of before, even if only in passing.