Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 02-01-2006, 10:47   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Dumbledore-Mighty Wizard or Major Wuss?

Hey agreed - HelenB is a smart one!
I just wanted to add I still think Regulus is too obvious - JKR rarely gives things away so readily ... but the evidence does support him, my fav is still Dumbledore
That would answer this question quite well right - wuss or mighty wizard - if RAB was Dumbledore and his departing gift was a mocking note to the Dark Lord!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 13:09   #12
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Sorry for chopping up your quote SnarkologyMajor--it's easier for me to keep my train of thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkologyMajor
I just wanted to add the possibility that Sirius is the one who helped Regulus-by J.K.R.'s own statements concerning Sirius-we have to be skeptical about anything he said about Reggie.
Why then would Sirius not have told Harry anything about helping Regulus?

Someone in another forum suggested that perhaps LV, to make some of his followers feel "special," might have assigned individual or small groups (maybe 2 or 3) of DEs to hide a special item of his (unbeknownst to them to hold a horcrux). This might serve to make them more supportive of LV and less likely to talk about their special, secret assignment. We know that Lucius had the diary but didn't know it was a horcrux. Perhaps Regulus was part of such a group and later realized it must have been a horcrux. That would explain how he knew to bring the locket.

Don't forget either that Snape was only a year ahead of Regulus, and they were both in Slytherin together. They both became DEs. Could they have been part of a group? We don't know how much DD has told Snape about what he's been up to. I'm in the camp of Snape's DD's man, but I don't think DD would necessarily have told him about the horcruxes. That would be dangerous if LV ever got suspicious of Snape and decided to delve very deeply into what Snape knows. DD tends to tell people only what he thinks they need to know. Perhaps Snape even created the potion in the cave.

It's been suggested that the potion in the cave had a refilling charm associated with it, so it refilled after Regulus left with Kreacher.

There's also been discussion about what function the cave horcrux hunt served. It was certainly a training session of sorts, because Harry learned stuff he didn't know before. But doesn't it feel like there should have been much more? DD didn't show Harry how to destroy a horcrux, yet we're led to believe that Harry is going to have to destroy at least 4.

Quote:
IAlso I wouldn't rule The Draught of the Living Dead out, since it is one of the first things ever mentioned to Harry by Snape. I can't quite figure it out as far as the cave goes but still....there is an ingredient that was mentioned-absinthe, and that is green. Also it isn't really mentioned what color Harry's Draught is-the last color given is palest pink yet he wasn't finished-
US HBP pg. 191- Harry shrugged and continued what he was doing. Seven stirs counterclockwise, one clockwise, pause...seven stirs counterclockwise, one stir clockwise(time and 7 again )
Across the table, Ron was cursing fluently under his breath; his potion looked like liquid licorice. Harry glanced around. As far as he could see, no one else's had turned as pale as his .

The fact that it's pale is all that is said-not what color it is. It sure feels like we are going to see the draught of living dead being used in some capacity
Good point! And DD trying to overcome a sleeping draught would certainly account for his weakend condition on the tower.

I agree, too, that the DoLD will how up. Why bring it to our attention again--twice-- in HBP, after no mention since the first potions class in SS/PS?

Quote:
Iand Regulus seems a likely candidate, maybe I'm off on my guess that he was put under the fidelius charm and Sirius was his secretkeeper. Of course isn't it also possible that the potion Dumbledore drinks was actually put there by Regulus (meant for Voldemort)? There seem to be many possibilities.
Tell me more. I haven't heard this.
HeleneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 13:10   #13
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
I just wanted to add I still think Regulus is too obvious - JKR rarely gives things away so readily ... but the evidence does support him, my fav is still Dumbledore
That would answer this question quite well right - wuss or mighty wizard - if RAB was Dumbledore and his departing gift was a mocking note to the Dark Lord!
Well, JK did say that the location of one of the horcruxes should be fairly easy to find. And all the horcrux objects have been mentioned.
Old 02-01-2006, 14:01   #14
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Yes HeleneB I agree-that tiny mention of the locket in OOTP had to have been there for a reason, and it's not as if J.K.R. has not been deliberately mysterious concerning Regulus Black. Just knowing that R.A.B. is Regulus(if he is) doesn't make anything easy at all-we still have alot of pieces to the puzzle missing.
As far as Dumbledore's behavior at his supposed end goes-no matter how you look at it, it is not consistent w/the powerful wizard that we have been shown.It seems clear that his death was all part of a larger plan that hasn't been concluded.

Sorry HeleneB-we must have been posting at the same time. As far as Sirius not telling Harry-most everything Sirius ever said was wonky to say the least, and this was confirmed when Jo said he had a case of arrested development. I have some of that on R.A.B. thread but may have to put one on Sirius together. To me the strangest was his wearing the same Azkaban clothes in GOF cave scene-this was after Harry had seen him in the fire w/new clothes,haircut and such. Also his statement to Ron-You can tell the measure of a man by how he treats his inferiors(something along those lines-don't have GOF right now )It sure didn't match w/how Sirius treated Kreacher in OOTP! Anyway my feeling is that we have a big suprise coming concerning Sirius(and perhaps that veil)
I do think that Snape and Regulus are connected in some way-especially if Regulus faked his death, then Snape probably helped him. At least that makes sense to me since I'm also of the belief that Snape is one of the good guys. Somehow these different pieces fit together-the hard part is figuring out how!
About the potion-I was thinking that perhaps Voldemort didn't actually have a potion in that basin at all-that maybe R.A.B. left that potion specifically for Voldemort? Seems like a decent idea....

Last edited by Alz; 03-01-2006 at 12:22..
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 14:53   #15
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

I like the idea of RAB leaving a foul potion for LV to drink but not having DD (or his stand in) drink it!

In an interview:
Cathedral: Will we be hearing anything from Sirius Black's brother, Regulus, in future books?

JK Rowling: Well, he's dead, so he's pretty quiet these days.

I'd been fond of the idea that Regulus was really alive and was Stubby Boardman, but that comment seems to squash the idea that Regulus is alive.

I do like the thought that Harry will be able to talk to Sirius again. It's curious that in OotP, the only kids who could hear the voices in the veil were also those who could see the Thestrals.

If DD is not dead, what will he be doing to help Harry?

If DD is dead, what has he planned that will help Harry without him?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:57   #16
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

These days is such an odd qualifier to tack on to that statement-it's precisely what I would expect her to say if Regulus faked his death. It certainly isn't something I would say when talking about the dead Unfortunately we have digressed quite a bit from the original thread here(it's easy to do ) So I will put more of an explanation on the R.A.B. faked his death thread.
Whether Dumbledore is really dead or just faked his death the point seemed to indicate that he needed to be out of the picture and he needed to connect Harry with R.A.B.-so there must be extenuating(sp?) circumstances involved w/R.A.B.
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 21:02   #17
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

So do you think DD had been to the cave before?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:23   #18
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Yes, I think that Dumbledore had been to the cave before. Otherwise, how did he know exactly where to go? He no only apparated to within 50 feet of the cave, but he led Harry as though he had been there before, but was making a show so that Harry wouldn't know.

As to Regulus, I think that is a big 'no no'. If you think about it, the only way we know about Regulus is through Sirius' memories, and all of his memories portray him as a kind of dumb person who wanted to follow the family creed. So what I'm trying to say is that no I do not think that Regulus is R.A.B.. As Alz said, its just too obvious.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:45   #19
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

If DD had been to the cave before, a few questions come to mind:

1. How far did DD proceed? Only to the entrance or all the way?

2. Has DD taken the potion twice then?

3. Did the potion refill or did DD fill it with something else for the return trip?

4. Did DD know about the locket already being switched or does he have the real one?

5. If he took the real one, why would he do that and not tell Harry?

6. How did DD get through the cave the first time, since he said it appeared to require two to get through it?

About Regulus being RAB. I think it's very likely to be him. JK said that one of the horcruxes would be fairly easy to figure out, and I think the locket is it. The whole Mundungus storyline in HBP didn't make since until someone on another forum mentioned the heavy locket they noticed in OotP. I'd totally forgotten about that one, so it wasn't obvious to me. I think that Harry has a Black family heirloom right now in the substitute locket from the cave. At some point in time, Kreacher is going to see it and have a fit. The trio will connect the dots and go looking for the locket. When they realize it's missing, Harry will remember sticky fingered Mundungus. That will lead to a trip to Azkaban (I'll be curious to see the place after hearing about it so much). Harry might even interact with Lucius while seeing Dung, who will refer Harry to the barman at the Hogs Head (to whom he sold or otherwise fenced the locket to). That will lead Harry to Aberforth Dumbledore.

I'm also hoping they will find Sirius's motorcycle at #12G.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:34   #20
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

I think DD went into the cave and felt the traces of magic and returned for Harry to have him help with the horcrux.

It appeard that DD was out a lot in HBP and possibly he was searching for the cave. Once he found it he realized it would be a good test for Harry so he went back and got him.