Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 21-02-2006, 13:26   #1
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Draco Malfoy: Dead Or Alive

Draco has had his ups and downs throughout the series, and I want to touch upon these and see if we can gain any insight as to whether he will be a major character in Book 7, or go the way of Karkaroff (mentioned once in passing as killed by Death Eaters)

In Book One, we meet Draco in Madam Malkinís Robe Shop. Heís snobby, rich, prejudice, and an only child. His family name gets him whatever he wants, and his father is somehow highly respected. At home, he couldn'tít ask for more, but at school, itís a different story. He could use his own gaggle of friends, a bit of respect of his own, and perhaps to play on the Quidditch team as the youngest player in years would suit him just fine. There is one person that stands in his way when it comes to getting these things at Hogwarts, and itís Harry Potter. Unknown fame since he was born, revered as the probable savior of the Wizarding race, true, loyal friends (not just thugs he orders around, and the spot on the Quidditch team are all snatched from him as Harry gets these things with ease. He is a bully, and for the 11 year old Harry, one of the banes of his existence.

Draco doesn'tít fare any better in CoS, wherein he has resorted to terrorizing other students to gain any recognition, something so horrible, Draco never saw it coming, happens. Not Aragog, not the Basilisk, not even the attempted return of Voldemort. No, his father gets removed from the Board of School Governors. Draco can no longer strut around as if he owns the school. He is still a bully, but has been embarrassed by the end of CoS, that heíll surely want revenge.

In PoA, Draco can still cause trouble quite a bit, but he seems less of a evil force than he did in the earlier books, much more like an annoying distraction. That is, until he proves he can still bend people to his every whim, with the death sentence handed down to Buckbeak. He rubs it in as much as possible, moaning in pain, through knowing smirks, and all is well in his tiny little world. Harry is upset, and wronged, Draco is uninjured, but getting what he wanted. And in a split second (literally), it is gone. Buckbeak has somehow escaped right from underneath Macnairs axe.

Throughout the course of the first three books, Dracoís status has dropped quite a bit. He was on top of the world, he owned the school, and got whatever he wanted. Then, suddenly, he was just another, trouble-causing student. GoF is no different, with Harry being chosen as the fourth champion in the TriWizard Tournament, and Draco can do nothing but flash ďPotter StinksĒ (a very clever phrase from a child Iím sure, but as a 14 year old boy, itís laughable) across the room at him, and give Rita Skeeter information that she would have found or made up anyways. Even when he tries to openly do damage, and curse Harry, he ends up as a bouncing ferret, the curse from a death eaters wand, no less. By any standards, Draco was not an effective nemesis in GoF.

Draco continues to fare even worse in OotP. The worst he does in the beginning half of the book is to make a snide comment about Sirius. Draco knows he needs to lay low and not be seen causing trouble since his father has been accused of being a DE, so all he can do is sit back and let Umbridge torture Harry, which Iím sure he finds amusing, but again, not an effective nemesis. Towards the end of OotP, he manages to trip Harry as he is leaving the Room of Requirement, while taking points from Gryffindor. But does anyone else recall, at the end of the Inquisitorial Squad versus the DA, Draco is the one that ends up the target of an íexcellentí bat-bogey hex? He again goes home ineffective and in an íalteredí state.

At this point, Draco is almost completely disgraced. Sure, he still has his thugs, but outside of them, no one respects him,, and on top of it all, his father has now landed his own cell in Azkaban. Potter has caused loads of trouble for the Malfoys; Draco is Ďjust another studentí, they are short a house-elf at home, Lucius is in Azkaban, all while Harry is riding high as the wizarding world finally comes around and believes him.

As shown, Draco has gone from a snob nemesis, to plain bully to practically non-existent antagonist in the first five books. His goal is obviously to ruin Harry (in high school terms, up to this point, of course) but he has no idea how to go about it. As we enter Half-Blood Prince, everything has changed for Draco. He is asked (and I use that term lightly) to do a service for Voldemort, and seeing as this could get him in with the right people, he agrees. At this point, he thinks it is possible, even probable that he will succeed. Draco it seems, has gotten smarter, more cunning over the summer. He hints at his mission on the train, and then in a violent act (which Iím sure heís been wanting to do for years) he stomps on Harryís face and hides him under the Invisibility cloak. Very clever, because, had Tonks not come around and found him, he would have been sent back to London, with no one the wiser, for a while anyways.

Throughout the book, Draco is trying to find other ways to do Dumbledore in. He wants to use the vanishing cabinets to let the DE in, but when all is not going as planned, he resorts to cruder methods. Katie and the necklace and Ron and the mulled mead do show however, that he is good at one thing, and thatís remaining undercover. While Dumbledore knew what was going on, Harry had no idea, and just wanted to blame Draco, and for once, he was right. Not to mention that he remained totally undetected by Ron or Hermione, which is a feat in itself, as they have proven to be bright, and loyal, something that seemed lacking in this area of HBP. Everything is going perfectly, he fixes the cabinets, the DE have swarmed the school, and then he balks. For some reason, he canít kill Dumbledore.

And we donít know why he couldn'tít do it. Was it the final olive branch that Dumbledore extended, was he just too young and inexperienced to take a life? He had good reason. His own life, and that of his parents, was in danger, and he didnít owe Dumbledore anything. Will he see this as his last chance of redemption being gone, or will it give him reason to stray from the Death Eaters?

I think the more important question is, what will become of Draco in Book 7. If he does appear, Iím sure heíll have his normal, stuck-up and snobby attitude. But, in the sight of all that has to happen in Book 7, I think Draco and his family will fade into the distance. I canít imagine any huge part that they would play, unless Draco does turn good, which wouldn'tít really hold that huge of a revelation, as he wouldn'tít know a whole lot, much less than Snape, or any other higher up DE. I think Draco and the Malfoys have served their purpose as annoying distractions, and there just wonít be much time or space for them in Book 7.
Old 22-02-2006, 03:04   #2
DumbledoreLives
TFH Graduate

Re: Draco Malfoy: Dead Or Alive

I am hoping that the characters that have their come-uppence due them will in fact get it. In my fantasy version of book 7, Draco will be caught (sans Snape - because I don't think Snape is truly bad - [thinking of the big picture]). Since Draco is known to associate with the DE, allowed them entrance to Hogwarts, assaulted his fellow students, put madame Rosemerta under the Imperious curse and inadvertently almost killed two of his fellow students and plotted to kill one of the most beloved wizards in history, he should at the very least join his father in Azkaban until they both go mad. He will of course plead that he only did it to save himself and his family from Voldy and perhaps even claim to have been under the Imperious curse himself. I think the ministry may go easy on him because of his age. I'm hoping he gets his retribution in the form of shame. I posted this idea somewhere else a while back, but I think as far as punishments go, nothing would be worse to a Malfoy than to be shamed. Firstly, I want him expelled from Hogwarts - I don't think he'd come back anyway, but it should be on record. In fact, throw in a lifelong ban for all future spawn of Malfoy. I want all things he regards highest to be taken from him. In essence, I want him to live out the rest of his life like the people he was raised to detest - Muggles! Mwahahaha! - (attempt at evil laughter)

I too noticed Draco's role diminishing over the course of books 3-5. However, it seems that JKR has a tendency to give major story lines to periphreal characters in subsequent books. Case in point, not too much Sirius in book 4, major story arc in book 5 AND he dies. We don't actually have too much direct storyline with DD in book 5 until the end and then major interactions between HP and DD in book 6 AND he dies. Snape and Draco are both periphreal nemises throughout the series and they both had revelatory story arcs at the end of book 6. There has to be something major coming up in book 7 for both of them. It doesn't even have to be lenghty, just enough to be memorable and satisfying, like when Hermione punched him in the face. It could even be her who reads an article from the Daily Prophet indicating that 'The trial of Draco Malfoy, the only son of convicted Death Eater Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Malfoy, concluded today. Too young to earn a life sentence in Azkaban, the Wizengamot sentenced young Malfoy to 100 years probation. Mr. Malfoy's wand was then destroyed by Arthur Weasly. Although he has maintained his innocence throughout the trial, the Wizengamot was compelled to convict Mr. Malfoy due to overwhelming testimony from numberous witnesses, including Hogwart's students Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Ronald and Ginny Weasly, Hermione Granger and Harry Potter, the boy who lived.
'As we all know, Mr. Malfoy was apprehended three weeks ago when passerby Remus Lupin caught him attempting to break into the abandoned house known as the Shreiking Shack. Due to the nature of his and his father's crimes in the service of He Who Must Not Be Named against the wizarding world, the estate of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy will be seized and sold at public auction in order to pay restitution to their many victims. Due to this reversal of fortune, Draco and his mother have taken up residence and employ at the Leaky Cauldron.'
- more evil laughter.
That would do it for me. Heaven knows he deserves what's coming to him.
DumbledoreLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 12:54   #3
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I still feel JKR is building him up for redemption ...
Draco knows as long as Voldemort is alive - he is a servant to the Dark Lord ...
What he first see's as a great honour, to be so young and yet a DE soon evaporated as he realised that he had been given a task even he must have doubted he could complete on threat of death to him and his family.
He would have seen the Dark Lord for what he was ... vengeful, hating, self serving and he was trapped in his power.
Draco cried to Moaning Myrtle ... this isn't the actions of a cold hard killer that loves the Dark Lord above anything else ...
Then we have the tower and I don't need to say how that ended - JKR said Draco wouldn't have killed Dumbledore and that is the most vital thing in this little saga in my mind ... because like what Dumbledore says tyrants create their own destruction with oppression etc ... well in Draco he now has someone inside who isn't loyal and also someone who knows that the only chance they have of freedom is to ensure that the oppressor is removed from power ... and that is where I think Draco will step in ... Draco will redeem by helping Harry somehow ... after all he will still feel like he killed Dumbledore even though he didn't ... and Dumbledore got to him ...
Great thread BTW
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 22:46   #4
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well I have go second Alz opinion. I think I have thought all along that there was going to be a redemption for Draco. As a life lesson that even "evil" people can change and serve a greater purpose. I agree that somehow Draco will indeed give some valuable piece of info to Harry. I don't really think they will "buddy up" possible maybe, but not too likely. But I think that in remorse, and perhaps other motivations as well, he will rebel against Voldemort and pass along some information to Harry . . . or possibly false information to Voldemort. In any case, I believe he will be part of a happy ending!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 01:58   #5
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Quite agree SPF and Alz-Even though Draco was vile throughout most of the septology, I've always had the thought-How else would he be with parents like his? This has led me to feel slight pity in Draco's case and even though I suspect he will end up dead, feel there is a good chance that he will help Harry in some way. I've also wondered if Harry will feel obligated (in his hero mode ) to try and go after Draco, afterall-he knows Draco couldn't go through w/killing Dumbledore. It just seems like this path would lead Harry right to Snape? What do you guys think?
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 01:14   #6
DumbledoreLives
TFH Graduate

In the words of Argus Filch, "I wanna see some punishment!" Redemption is too easy. But if it is to be, I want him broken and utterly humiliated, completely remorseful, sincerely humbled and deeply apologetic.

I suppose as a piece of literature, it would be more valuable if he is redeemed and 'learns his lesson'. But in your heart of hearts, wouldn't you rather see him scrubbing toilets in dirty clothes, than crying and admitting he was wrong and asking for help?

Even putting aside the fact that his actions almost killed Katie and Ron, just performing the Imperious Curse is worthy of a life sentence in Azkaban. So essentially, he's doomed! He can't go back to his old comfortable life, he's a fugitive. He can't go forward either, he failed his ultimate mission - even though Voldy knew he'd fail. The Malfoy name is complete mud in the wizarding world. (If he had just kept a low profile after his father was incarcerated everything would have been fine. But his ego wouldn't allow it. I find it extremely difficult to feel sympathy for him.) He has only to gain by ingratiating himself to Harry and the OotP, but if he tried to come back and redeem himself, how genuine would it really be? As far as providing important information to Harry as a way to start to make amends, I don't think Harry would ever trust him. Not after everything Draco has put Harry through. I don't think those close to Harry would allow him to trust anything out of Draco's mouth.

Draco has reveled in causing suffering in others he believed to be beneath him. He's vicious and cruel and doesn't care about anyone but himself. When he couldn't bring himself to kill DD, it wasn't because he cared about DD. He's just a bad egg through and through. He made his own bed, he can lie in it. grrrr.
DumbledoreLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 01:55   #7
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

LOL-this is probably why I scored a 92 Hufflepuff on the pop-psych quiz my daughter forced me to take online Even though I scored a 90 Ravenclaw-I'm way too soft! I can defo. see why you would want Draco to suffer, yet can't help feel that this would go against the whole turn the other cheek philosophy. Can't quite picture J.K.R. writing one bad deed deserves another bad deed, although if Draco ends up dead(which he probably will)-that's certainly bad. To me-it would be nice if he saw the error of his ways and helped Harry in some way, before he's killed.
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 02:00   #8
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Also - remember these are essentially a children's set of books (*gasp*) and as such moralist views can be expected - and showing someone who for the longest time was a nasty little piece change and become good fulfils a nice moral - never to late to change ... ahh there's that bloody word again

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 24-02-2006, 06:04   #9
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Like DumbledoreLives, I would LOVE to see Draco "pay." But, I agree that this is being set up as a redemption story. The only caveat to that is that JKR does say that she doesn't get why people like him (and assumes it's Tom Felton's charm they REALLY like). I don't agree, however, that Harry knows that Draco wouldn't have killed DD. He assumes (I believe) that had Snape not shown up that Draco would have done it anyway, just with regret (perhaps?). That's just my opinion, though. I'll keep watching this thread. I wonder what everyone else thinks. I think this is a terrific thread.
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 12:39   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBP The White Tomb
Harry did not believe that Malfoy would have killed Dumbledore. He despised Malfoy still for his infactuation with the Dark Arts, but now the tiniest drop of pity mingled with his dislike. Where, Harry wondered, was Malfoy now, and what was Voldemort making him do under threat of killing him and his parents?
I think that says a great deal overall really - not only that Harry feels Draco wouldnt have done it - but overall he still feels pity for the boy that has caused him so much grief ... so if Draco tries to redeem, I think Harry will let him and be thankful for the extra allie ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536